Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 07:41 PM

233 posts, read 827,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkindred View Post
Hate to post this again. But here you go. Check out my photos of places around the world. The most beautiful and cleanest cities ain't in the U.S.

www.pbase.com.com/toddk

Singapore: Singapore April 05 Photo Gallery by Todd E. Kindred at pbase.com
Hong Kong: Asia Favorites Photo Gallery by Todd E. Kindred at pbase.com

To me the most beautiful cities in the world are in Europe.

Oh, yes. Singapore Airlines is rated the best. I have flown them many times. The thing is when you fly with foreign airlines they usually have very attractive flight attendants who are courteous. They also serve food on their domestic flights. Airlines in the U.S. are the worst.

Sorry, this has nothing to do with SF. I could not resist but reply to your post.
Aww...you make me feel bad about not being a native European

I've never even visited, but will someday. Lookin forward to it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 01:20 AM

282 posts, read 618,137 times
I think SF is beautiful,but as far as nature, if you go over the GG bridge there is an expanse of beautiful protected coastline,dense forests & farmland that anywhere else in the US would be rapped & built on. I realized that's the California comprimise,everyone is sardine canned into smaller property & area,but that leaves us tons of open space & parks.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:53 PM

96 posts, read 309,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BodegaHead View Post
I realized that's the California comprimise,everyone is sardine canned into smaller property & area,but that leaves us tons of open space & parks.
Best of both worlds really. Dense, vibrant neighborhoods and vast natural landscapes.

Sure there's sprawl, but not quite like what you'd find around many other major cities.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:58 PM

282 posts, read 618,137 times
Oh,one more thing I forgot. The climate here on the coast is not supportive of a lot of large deciduous park trees like you see in Eastern & mid-west cities. Only certain tree species can thrive on the coast & many become dwarfed & gnarled from the winds. So,SF has a different look as a city too,there are a lot of gardens & trees throughout the city,but it is such a different climate it could never look the same as NYC or somewhere like that.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:01 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
only one defense no winter.
i left my heart in san francisco.
of course that made it a lot rougher on everybody else.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:07 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,546,477 times
Okay, I have to agree that SF overwhelmingly dirty. Obviously the Tenderloin smells of urine, but even the "nice" areas are dirty... the Richmond, the Sunset, the Castro, Noe Valley, Bernal Heights, etc... Pac Heights even. The sidewalks and roads are so dirty and unkept. The only areas that have a shine to them are West Portal, Diamond Heights, and Forest Hill, which are IMO fairly obscure and boring (WePo ain't too bad though). Many of the signs (as well as the storefronts) in the main drags in these neighborhoods (Clement St. comes to mind) look like they haven't been touched in decades.

But I must say, I LOVE the lack of lawns and trees, and the smushing of houses together. It makes it so much easier to get everywhere. I honestly think it gives SF character, because it's just about the only place that's set up like that. You don't have to walk so far to get everywhere. What's so great about seeing trees anyway? I like the thought of the city, the action, the vibrancy, the people, and what they can become. Too much nature gets in the way of that. Besides, SF has artificially created a bunch of parks within its borders for all you that are into that, so it's there if you want it. Miles and miles of that are also a short drive away if you want more of it.

I think the housing issue isn't that big of a deal because it weeds the people out who don't really want to be here and those who won't accept the lifestyle you have to in order to live here (i.e. I read this article about a couple who feels they've been forced out of the city because they can't afford a 3br house with a front lawn for their kid to play in -- WTF, they're talking as if anyone should just be able to walk in and buy one of those in SF. It really IS all about supply and demand.) If you want to, you'll find a way. I'm nowhere near rich and I don't make a ton but just like everywhere else, it's all about the appropriation of funds and figuring out what things are worth to you. I have roommates and although the house is a bit tight, it works and it's pretty fun.

Finally -- I have to agree with the person who said that SF has nothing on NYC as far as being a real city goes. I'm here for now because I knew I wouldn't get on with my life until I spent a few years in SF, and the winters in NYC would drive me crazy. But one day I'll suck it up enough and end up there...or somewhere overseas, because cities aren't as rare of a commodity in the rest of the world as they are in the US.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:19 AM

240 posts, read 888,888 times
When I lived in SF, I always felt like the rain was a waste. In other cities, I've taken some comfort in knowing that the trees and lawns are getting the water they need. In SF, all the rain does is water the streets and sidewalks.

If it never rained in San Francisco, it wouldn't matter - the city would still look exactly the same.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:25 PM

334 posts, read 1,268,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deloprator20000 View Post
For everyone out there trying to compare SF to other cities like LA, NYC, London, etc just remember the following statement:

SF is more like Boston and LA is more like New York

I once read it on a discussion forum from someone visiting SF from the East Coast. I think that sums up SF better than any other observation I've read. If you are looking for easily accessible signs of a "big city" like large monuments, significant attractions, nightlife etc. then SF will always come up short. SF's strengths lie not in attractions or nightlife but in thought and political action.
LOL. WTF are you talking about. Frisco, dosen't have "large monuments, significant attractions, nightlife etc"???????!!!!!!!!!!!!! What drug are you on?!!!What do you think these are?!!

The Cable Cars
Coit Tower
North Beach
Chinatown
Union Square
The Ferry Building
The Transamerica Buliding
AT & T Park
Mission Doleres
The Painted Ladies
Fisherman's Wharf
Pier 39
Golden Gate Park

Not to mention the GOLDEN FREAKIN GATE BRIDGE!!!
And no nightlife??!!!! You need to go to SoMa.

Old 10-04-2008, 02:36 PM

821 posts, read 1,039,043 times
I'm a life-long Brooklynite thinking seriously about moving to the Bay Area. I recently went there on vacation and stayed in the city and in Oakland. I loved the city and its surrounding areas. Went to Point Reyes and Santa Cruz also for a night each.
The city of San Francisco seems to me in comparison to New York to be far more progressive and moving in a better direction.
I've never lived any where else before, but the Bay Area seems like the best place for me to relocate for a better life and to persue my Social Work carreer. The schools also appear to be of better quality and more affordable than the city colleges of New York.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:22 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,785,187 times
The BEST part of S.F. is Haight and Filmore!

Yea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland