Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 08:37 AM

875 posts, read 1,092,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
Cities do not need to be mostly concrete, they can plant thousands of trees that will grow large and provide shade. Look at many Midwestern cites, they were built on a prairie but are now a beautiful green in the summer.
There are a few trees along the sidewalks in neighborhoods. They just don't grow well due to the sandy soil. Surely you have read what the terrain is like beneath the "concrete" by now.

Midwestern cities have different soil, and more space. As you have already read in several posts, San Francisco is built on a rather small peninsula. It's not a fair to compare it to other cities.

Just how much time have you spent exploring in San Francisco? Did anyone who lives there give you a tour, or have you ventured out on your own, and just don't know where the "greener" spots and beauty are at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 09:40 AM

312 posts, read 1,519,158 times
Default Hi

Hi !
I'm from Europe and I like San Francisco !!!

Old 12-26-2007, 02:18 PM

132 posts, read 596,497 times
San Francisco one of the most beautiful cities in the U.S.?? Come on, you can't be serious. I mean, really.

San Francisco is recognized internationally, deservedly so, as one of the most beautiful cities IN THE WORLD.
Complete eye exams are in order for those who apparently have missed it's serene and majestic beauty.
I think if you check the map of your travels you will find that you thought you were in S.F. but actually were in Bakersfield.
It's OK, happens to the best of them.
It's beauty is a thing of jealousy to this Angelino and native Californian.
Total LOVE and PEACE to all in the new year!!!
-Don L.A.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:40 PM

495 posts, read 1,830,608 times
I have not read all of the responses, just the first post. Why live in San Francisco then if you don't like it? Move to a place that has trees and big back yards if you prefer this. What you don't think is beautiful in the City, I think gives it character and a unique beauty. That is my opinion only and based on my own tastes. If I want to experience more greenery, trees and back yards, I have plenty of relatives and friends to visit in the suburbs. Or I'll venture over to Golden Gate Park. :-) But personally I don't need these things to make me happy nor do I care that much about them.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:54 PM

1 posts, read 4,504 times
A City Is Suppose To Be Full Of Concrete!

Old 12-27-2007, 01:09 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calli View Post
A City Is Suppose To Be Full Of Concrete!
Yes, that's true! I think what makes a city beautiful is it's architecture, and in San Francisco the hills are also really pretty - especially when they give you a view of the water. But even the hills themselves are pretty in their own way, don't you think?

Of course Lombard is cool looking...

And we have some beautiful architecture too!

Old 12-27-2007, 04:53 AM

Hi ! I'm again.
How is climate in San Francisco ???

Old 12-27-2007, 04:49 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,449,437 times
Tony, great to have you here in these forums! The climate in San Francisco, since it's surrounded by water and next to the Pacific Ocean, stays cool in the summer, and often overcast. I don't know how familiar you are with measuring temperatures in Fahrenheit, so I'll do my best to convert to Celsius. High summer temperatures rarely exceed 25 degrees Celsius, or 70 degrees Fahrenheit. In September and October, it can sometimes get warmer when there's an offshore ocean flow, so maybe 30 degrees Celsius/86 degrees Fahrenheit.

Winters hardly ever get below freezing. The coldest it gets is upper 30s F, or 3 or 4 degrees C. Not that much rainfall, average 20 inches or 50 centimeters per year, most of it falling between November and April.

You don't have to travel very far out of San Francisco for the weather to change dramatically, especially during the summer. Just go inland a little bit and it warms up a lot.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:58 PM

463 posts, read 646,563 times
Yea i find the east bay to be much more enjoyable weatherwise in the summer. I dont like the fact that 70 is warm in sf.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:37 AM

Thank you !
I'm from Croatia on the Adriatic sea.
I'm watched San Francisco on the TV and I'think that San Francisco is marvellous.
I'm worry because earthquakes and sharkes in the sea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland