Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 07:55 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times

Advertisements

I used to drive through Hayward to get to and from Moreau High (where I went to school - so funny you mentioned it), and friends in Castro Valley. This was back in the 1970's and even back then, I thought of Hayward as ugly and kind of industrial mixed with restaurants and businesses. There was no charm to it.

Doesn't sound like it's changed much.

The view from the college is wonderful. But, the college is up on a hill and a pain to get to transit-wise. My dad lived in a pretty nice apartment complex half-way up that hill at one point. So, there are nicer areas up in the hills.

But, the downtown area is just ugly. And the traffic was bad even way back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 05:52 PM

34 posts, read 55,962 times
I worked in Hayweird for a one-year project and my impression was positive in terms of it not being a snotty area. A lot of middle class people quietly know each other in Hayward -- marry and/or stay in the area -- and those are good people and good people to know. Still, the place is a little schizophrenic and I avoid it now that I don't work there. In addition to the cool folks mentioned above, I can do without tinted window Suburbans with Cragars and tough-guy drivers, some even with (large) families onboard. That part reminds me of the depressing side of Pacific Manor, but moved inland and with a police presence.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:38 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
A 5 minute bike ride from my house in San Lorenzo gets me to the Hayward shoreline. An often forgotten feature of the region with miles of trails.

If I had a camera instead of my cell phone you could easily see San Francisco and the bay bridge.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
My first thought was that the poster works for the chamber of commerce.

I went to Cal State and lived in Castro Valley for 16 years, and I always thought that Eden Shores was in Union City, not Hayward, though I just looked it up and it is Hayward. Not typical of Hayward, however. I had in-laws living on Russell and even back in the 80s it was getting rough. Being in Castro Valley we always went the other direction to Dublin/Pleasanton to avoid going into Hayward. We only went there for visiting or to go to Buffalo Bill's. We were in the area last spring and it seemed like Hayward has gone downhill a lot since we left, and it's even creeping into the Baywood area of Castro Valley below the freeway.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:01 PM

833 posts, read 1,199,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
A 5 minute bike ride from my house in San Lorenzo gets me to the Hayward shoreline. An often forgotten feature of the region with miles of trails.

If I had a camera instead of my cell phone you could easily see San Francisco and the bay bridge.
Favorite place to take my dog off-leash. She loves chasing the rabbits that she'll never get.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:30 PM

337 posts, read 733,340 times
Quote:
You can do all of that in down town Hayward or near by down town San Leandro. Though the night life does not match Oakland or SF, expecting it to is unreasonable. If you want those things it is only a short Bart ride to Oakland/Berkley.

What Hayward/San Leandro/San Lorenzo give you is a centralized location, close mass transit, decent schools and developed mostly low crime neighborhoods and a still reasonably prices compared to many other areas.

Are their better areas? Of course. Are their better areas where you can buy a 3/2 home for less than 500k and still be less than 30 minutes from just about any place in the Bay Area? Nope. Sure you can get more night life in Oakland, but it will be more expensive and the more affordable areas won't be near trendy bars and restaurants, they will be in high crime areas.

I know walkability is all the rage now a days, but that will change as the millienials get older and want to start a family and no longer spend time going out to eat or to bars/clubs.
I agree that Hayward is reasonably priced and gives you centralized location. I do think that you will start to see millennials move out to suburbs as they have families of their own. However, these people won't be coming to Hayward. The public schools in Hayward are horrible. The schools in San Leandro aren't much better. San Lorenzo is marginally better. Also, the housing stock in Hayward is pretty bad - small 1950s ranch houses everywhere.

I used to be more pro-Hayward - specifically Downtown Hayward - four years ago or so. Despite the improvements (the theater, a few new restaurants, Peet's Coffee, etc.) downtown hasn't taken off. The new loop has made downtown even less pedestrian friendly than before. Furthermore, there is still a ton of riff-raff walking around the area.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athleticsfan72737489 View Post
I agree that Hayward is reasonably priced and gives you centralized location. I do think that you will start to see millennials move out to suburbs as they have families of their own. However, these people won't be coming to Hayward. The public schools in Hayward are horrible. The schools in San Leandro aren't much better. San Lorenzo is marginally better. Also, the housing stock in Hayward is pretty bad - small 1950s ranch houses everywhere.

I used to be more pro-Hayward - specifically Downtown Hayward - four years ago or so. Despite the improvements (the theater, a few new restaurants, Peet's Coffee, etc.) downtown hasn't taken off. The new loop has made downtown even less pedestrian friendly than before. Furthermore, there is still a ton of riff-raff walking around the area.
The 1950's ranch homes make up most of the Bay Area until you get to the 680 corridor, then it is 1970's ranch homes.

The riff-raft give it that urban feel and culture all the hipsters are looking for. Pretty soon Oakland will become too gentrified and the hipsters will be looking for that next edgy but still not very dangerous area to live in (Hayward).

Old 08-11-2014, 01:51 PM

833 posts, read 1,199,274 times
Quote:
The 1950's ranch homes make up most of the Bay Area until you get to the 680 corridor, then it is 1970's ranch homes.

The riff-raft give it that urban feel and culture all the hipsters are looking for. Pretty soon Oakland will become too gentrified and the hipsters will be looking for that next edgy but still not very dangerous area to live in (Hayward).
We don't have hipster appeal here in Hayward. I gave up hope on this bum town a long time ago. There just is not anything here. It seems like everything you need, you have to go elsewhere for it. Everything here SUCKS --I mean, our starbucks sucks, grocery stores suck, dog park, everything.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:23 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazyattic View Post
We don't have hipster appeal here in Hayward. I gave up hope on this bum town a long time ago. There just is not anything here. It seems like everything you need, you have to go elsewhere for it. Everything here SUCKS --I mean, our starbucks sucks, grocery stores suck, dog park, everything.
I live in the South Bay and work in San Lorenzo, over by Hesperian.. so I spend a decent amount of time over in Hayward on lunch breaks, or at Smart & Final or Costco on my way home. I love Garin Park.. perhaps the only park in California where you will get stared down by free-range cattle while you walk up the hill, and once you get to the top you get astounding bay views on clear days (too rare now). Kennedy Park is charming, too, with an old train station, a working train ride, merry-go-round and a little petting zoo. Those are the main positives I take out of Hayward. I have not enjoyed my experiences with the local residents, though.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I live in the South Bay and work in San Lorenzo, over by Hesperian.. so I spend a decent amount of time over in Hayward on lunch breaks, or at Smart & Final or Costco on my way home. I love Garin Park.. perhaps the only park in California where you will get stared down by free-range cattle while you walk up the hill, and once you get to the top you get astounding bay views on clear days (too rare now). Kennedy Park is charming, too, with an old train station, a working train ride, merry-go-round and a little petting zoo. Those are the main positives I take out of Hayward. I have not enjoyed my experiences with the local residents, though.
I remember when the merry-go-round was an actual pony ride.

You should check out buddies bites and brews off of Hesperian, good food at a modest price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland