Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2014, 04:06 PM

2 posts, read 5,119 times

Advertisements

I currently live in New York state and the severity of the California drought is a big news story even here. Recently some expert even floated the idea of a migration out of California if things don't improve. I realize that is hyperbole at this point, but since I'm planning to look for a house in the Guerneville area, I thought I'd broach the subject here on city-data. Since the other seasons are wetter than the summer, has that precipitation helped lessen the effects of the drought during those months? (And has the summer itself been hotter and drier?) Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 04:35 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
This might be helpful....United States Drought Monitor > Home > State Drought Monitor

Looks bad nearly everywhere.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:58 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
I can only imagine that a bit of drought would help Guerneville. A number of former residents have told me the town floods annually, so mold in the homes situated on low ground is a chronic problem. It sounds like less river water would be an improvement. Choose your location there carefully.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:55 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
The drought news is ridiculous. The worst problem due to the drought are the wildfires. Horrible.

But, we have water and always will, even if we have to buy it from somewhere else. So silly to talk about people moving away from the state. Goes to show the need for news.

You might not be able to water your lawn as often as you like, or will have to rip out the lawn for different landscaping. The cost of water may go up until there's relief.

But, you will not be dragging yourself down the road whispering "water....water.....water......" like in the old movies.

If we could build an aquaduct to take water from northern CA to southern CA, and a pipeline from AK to the lower 48 for oil, surely we will figure out a way to get water to CA if/when we need to.

Heck, they're still growing rice last I heard. That crop uses an enormous amount of water.

And I really think some farmers are ripping out their trees because the government will probably subsidize them for doing so. They were probably already subsidized anyway. They just like to make the issue about them digging up the trees, and avoid the issue of what the govt will subsidize them for next. They're probably getting money to rip up the trees, then they'll get money to plant some particular crop next. Scandalous.

The rice growers (very wealthy agribusiness people) are spinning their wanting to continue to flood their fields by saying that all the birds that love to hang out in the rice paddies will suffer. Uh, as in they'll go maybe to the other rivers and lakes? But, they're trying to hold onto their water by trying to make people think the birds will suffer. Puleez. And at least half of the crop is sold to Japan. Heck, they'll be next to get subsidized to grow something else.

I have a hunch that all this media hype across the nation is perpetuated by the big agribusiness companies, and all pointed at getting enough sympathy to convince the state and the feds that the farmers must get more subsidies to change they types of crops they grow. If rice growers can make as much or more growing something else, they will quit caring about the birds just like that.

Here in Redding, they just started rationing lawn watering. You can only water in the early morning hours, and depending on your address on certain days of the week.

But, the Sacramento River is flowing through town just like normal. In fact, it seems to be deeper all the time. So, there's still snow runoff happening for now, apparently.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 08-09-2014 at 09:06 PM..

Old 08-10-2014, 07:20 PM

34 posts, read 55,923 times
Water's always been difficult in the SouthWest and population and climate change have made it more pressing. Further, agriculture continues to need its water . Without a decrease in population (unlikely), or a decrease in agriculture (unlikely), it seems Geurneville would also be unlikely to escape these State-wide effects.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:15 PM

2 posts, read 5,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I can only imagine that a bit of drought would help Guerneville. A number of former residents have told me the town floods annually, so mold in the homes situated on low ground is a chronic problem. It sounds like less river water would be an improvement. Choose your location there carefully.
That's kind of what I'm thinking too. I want to rent somewhere in the area for the first year, while I decide where to buy. I think that year will most likely give me a good idea of how the drought affects other various areas in N. California that I'm interested in as well.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:50 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
I found a list of the areas that are most likely to flood. I only recall there being two or three real major incidences. Back in the 70's and 80's (but don't quote me on that!).

This might help a bit when trying to figure out where to avoid purchasing property--

Russian River Water & Flood Levels

Old 08-11-2014, 11:09 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
How is the drought affecting Guerneville area?

It is making it really dry.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:20 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
How is the drought affecting Guerneville area?

It is making it really dry.
Do we know that, though, in the case of G-ville? The river hasn't dried up, so what, exactly, has changed? Did it flood less this year, or not at all? This would be helpful info for the OP.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:59 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,518,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
The drought news is ridiculous. The worst problem due to the drought are the wildfires. Horrible.

But, we have water and always will, even if we have to buy it from somewhere else. So silly to talk about people moving away from the state. Goes to show the need for news.

You might not be able to water your lawn as often as you like, or will have to rip out the lawn for different landscaping. The cost of water may go up until there's relief.

But, you will not be dragging yourself down the road whispering "water....water.....water......" like in the old movies.

If we could build an aquaduct to take water from northern CA to southern CA, and a pipeline from AK to the lower 48 for oil, surely we will figure out a way to get water to CA if/when we need to.

Heck, they're still growing rice last I heard. That crop uses an enormous amount of water.

And I really think some farmers are ripping out their trees because the government will probably subsidize them for doing so. They were probably already subsidized anyway. They just like to make the issue about them digging up the trees, and avoid the issue of what the govt will subsidize them for next. They're probably getting money to rip up the trees, then they'll get money to plant some particular crop next. Scandalous.

The rice growers (very wealthy agribusiness people) are spinning their wanting to continue to flood their fields by saying that all the birds that love to hang out in the rice paddies will suffer. Uh, as in they'll go maybe to the other rivers and lakes? But, they're trying to hold onto their water by trying to make people think the birds will suffer. Puleez. And at least half of the crop is sold to Japan. Heck, they'll be next to get subsidized to grow something else.

I have a hunch that all this media hype across the nation is perpetuated by the big agribusiness companies, and all pointed at getting enough sympathy to convince the state and the feds that the farmers must get more subsidies to change they types of crops they grow. If rice growers can make as much or more growing something else, they will quit caring about the birds just like that.

Here in Redding, they just started rationing lawn watering. You can only water in the early morning hours, and depending on your address on certain days of the week.

But, the Sacramento River is flowing through town just like normal. In fact, it seems to be deeper all the time. So, there's still snow runoff happening for now, apparently.
Gives new meaning to the saying: Water runs uphill to money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland