Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 01:03 PM

7 posts, read 15,191 times

Advertisements

Hi guys. Newbie here. I was interested in knowing how good/bad is the commute from Benicia to Vacaville (Nut-Tree Airport). Is it mostly opposite traffic direction? Or is it still pretty bad? How long of a commute am I looking at, here? I like the idea of living close to the Bay Area/city but not in a terribly expensive place. Benicia seems like the best option, a nice little town, safer in comparison, fairly close to the city and good reviews as well. Other options I looked into were Vallejo, Rodeo, Concord. But I wouldn't want to pay the bridge toll everyday though, and Vallejo didn't seem like an ideal place for me.
I would appreciate any information on this situation. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 01:23 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,690,750 times
live in Vacaville.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:16 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,147,120 times
Benicia is a reverse commute, but Vacaville should be more affordable and it's still a nice place.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:22 PM

thanks guys. I still have my eyes set on Benicia, but I'll think about Vacaville again. How long is the reverse commute though? i've heard there's a decent traffic from benicia towards Travis AFB. is that true? how long would the commute be from Benicia to Vacaville?

Old 08-18-2014, 04:05 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Benicia is beautiful, and will be cooler than Vacaville, being closer to the Bay, and on the Carquinez Straight. You can Google to find out how long the commute would be. Google "Distance Benicia to Vacaville", and it will give you the drive time as well as the distance.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:12 PM

@Ruth4Truth, thanks. That's why I would rather live in Benicia than Vacaville. I have looked into the Google distance and travel time. However, that doesn't involve the rush hour traffic. Furthermore, there's nothing on Google results that I could find regarding commute from Benicia to Vacaville. It's usually the other way around or some other combination of commute. I wish to know the rush hour commute time From Benicia to Vacaville.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:21 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,091,126 times
I don't get the Benicia selection. It's a cute, small downtown but it'd get pretty old, pretty fast. The commute doesn't make much sense to me. If it's all about finding a cute place that's nice and has amenities, what about Davis? The downtown boasts more things than Benicia, better biking, and cheaper rents and the commute to Vacaville is half the time.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:29 PM

520 posts, read 611,129 times
The weather's infinitely better in Benicia than Davis or Vacaville, if you ask me. Plus you're closer to SF and the Bay for weekend trips. (Although I like Davis, it can be close to 110 in the summer).

Sorry so few people are answering your question. Google maps says it is 29 minutes from Benicia to Vacaville with no traffic. If you try a google maps directions search during rush hour, it will estimate your commute with traffic. In my limited experience, that traffic isn't bad most of the time. I bet the commute would be about 40 minutes.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:13 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durlav1n1 View Post
@Ruth4Truth, thanks. That's why I would rather live in Benicia than Vacaville. I have looked into the Google distance and travel time. However, that doesn't involve the rush hour traffic. Furthermore, there's nothing on Google results that I could find regarding commute from Benicia to Vacaville. It's usually the other way around or some other combination of commute. I wish to know the rush hour commute time From Benicia to Vacaville.
Well, my point is that since it's a reverse commute, the travel time should be close to the same as non-commute-hour travel time. The results you get should be in the general ball park. Just add a little extra time to play it safe.

And let me tell you, Benicia, if you get a place with a little elevation, or a backyard that slopes up the hill, can be glorious, even on a warm day! There's a cool breeze that wafts continuously off the straight, that makes hanging out in the backyard very enjoyable. And the view of the straight, too, of course, makes having lunch or dinner in the back yard a joy! Choose your home with that in mind.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:26 PM

379 posts, read 785,551 times
Benicia is nice and on the water, and as others said, should be a reasonable commute in rush hour. However, I agree that it's worth giving Vacaville another look. It's a solid and safe suburban city with all the shopping you need right in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland