Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2014, 09:19 PM

7,641 posts, read 18,076,039 times

Advertisements

San Francisco was rated #1 on a recent "liberalism" or "progressiveness" scale (I don't have a link, sorry). Along with Boston, I believe, it far exceeded the #3 city (Minneapolis) and all others.

It's also long been held among the public perception that SF is a very liberal and tolerant city.

Can anyone come up with a historical reason for this? Namely, when did SF become so accepting of homosexuality and "alt" sexual subcultures (e.g. the Folsom Street Parade)? In the most liberal of neighborhoods, would a gay male couple holding hands on the sidewalk be accepted in 1975? 1965? 1955?

Also, how do you think San Francisco would compare to Amsterdam, Hamburg, Copenhagen, or Stockholm? Are EU influences (not necessarily political) more evident than other parts of the country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 09:31 PM

102,100 posts, read 107,266,232 times
My guess: as a result of the social movements of the 60's.

But, OP, do you have any reason to believe it wasn't liberal before? It was founded just before the Gold Rush, wasn't it? All those brothels and booze may have pretty well cemented its liberal nature from the get-go.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:46 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,293 posts, read 80,538,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

But, OP, do you have any reason to believe it wasn't liberal before? It was founded just before the Gold Rush, wasn't it? All those brothels and booze may have pretty well cemented its liberal nature from the get-go.
Yes, I hung around there as a teenager in the late 60s and the "counter-culture" that went national and worldwide got it's start in San Francisco, as well as Berkeley. The Haight-Ashbury area attracted people because it was relatively inexpensive and not crowded with middle-class people.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:00 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,877,894 times
Quote:

Yes, SF has a long history of accepting things that wouldn't fly in other places. It started a while ago: Barbary Coast, San Francisco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think the most recent (relative to the history of the city) surge of what we know as traditional "liberalism" was cemented in the 60's. But I think SF (and in many ways, CA in general) has always been pretty progressive/open to different ideas.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:04 PM

102,100 posts, read 107,266,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post

I think the most recent (relative to the history of the city) surge of what we know as traditional "liberalism" was cemented in the 60's. But I think SF (and in many ways, CA in general) has always been pretty progressive/open to different ideas.
I read a biography of the last Mexican general to rule over NorCal, Mariano Vallejo, and he was a liberal guy for his time. Alta California was run much more liberally and humanely than the rest of Mexico.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:27 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,687,872 times
Way back in the thirties SF was known as a center for progressive politics. Harry Bridges and the ILWU had a lot to do with it.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:47 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,256,192 times
I'd suggest that 1849 would be the date.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:43 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,078,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
I'd suggest that 1849 would be the date.
That would be my guess, too. With the gold rush, SF was far away from mainstream American culture, and full of men without their families and lots of people trying to make a quick buck. From what I read, it was an anything goes culture that most considered to be only temporary. Bringing in the Asian immigrants, even more people were cut off from the moderating influence of their mainstream cultures. All kinds of folks filtered in, and were accepted, probably many of whom would not have been accepted back home. Perhaps those patterns just persisted. We need a history professor to fill us in, and tell us if this guess is correct.

Old 09-13-2014, 03:02 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,847,878 times
Quote:
It was founded just before the Gold Rush, wasn't it? All those brothels and booze may have pretty well cemented its liberal nature from the get-go.
This. Remember, that was in the middle of the Victorian era. SF was wild by the standards of the day. Out of control, literally.

Last edited by NewbiePoster; 09-13-2014 at 03:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland