Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2014, 11:16 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times

Advertisements

Given that SF has more dogs than children, I don't think you're going to win that argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 11:18 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,546,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Many blacks are moving out of the LA neighborhoods and moving into some of the inland cities: Moreno Valley, Perris, Hemet. They are also moving into areas like Long Beach, Lakewood, and further out in the high desert in cities like Lancaster and Palmdale. South-Central LA (now called South LA) has many transplants from El Salvador, specifically the area around USC and Hoover and Adams Streets. That area was predominantly black 20 years ago.
A lot are moving out-of-state too, as I said, to Phoenix, Vegas, Houston, Atlanta and Charlotte where there is still light manufacturing and service industry jobs that don't require being bilingual.

LA's loss of manufacturing has really effected the black community.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:19 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
You're a transplant yourself. Albeit, an uppity one from 'Chicaga' who thinks he's better than other transplants.
I moved to california in 96 at age 13. I really didn't have much say in the matter. I didn't willingly move to california with no parents, as an adult, less than 10 years ago, like certain posters here.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:21 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
East LA isn't really that bad anymore.

Lincoln Heights is a little rough, though.

Compton has gone from being a majority-black ghetto to a working-class Latino neighborhood now. South Central is in transition from black to Latino too. So is Inglewood. In 10-20 years, there won't be a majority-black neighborhood anywhere in LA.

The black people that moved to Moreno Valley, Rialto, Lancaster and Victorville are starting to move again, this time they are going out-of-state altogether to Las Vegas, Phoenix, Houston, Atlanta and Charlotte now.
everybody is leaving CA!!

Allysia Finley: The Reverse-Joads of California - WSJ

even I want to leave CA.

but yes, a lot of blacks are leaving CA.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:21 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Disagree. LA is the absolute worst city for families in the entire USA. SF is actually a better place for families, although it is also quite problematic.

There are better places for families around L.A., though. Just like there are much better places for families in the Bay Area than The City.
Personally, I wouldn't want to have a child in the City. I can't say I'd like to have one in the city of LA either, but it's a lot easier for me to understand how that would work, at least.

There are more dogs than children in San Francisco, BTW.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:22 PM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
San Francisco has some of that, sure, but it's more of a creative environment, less consumed with outward displays of wealth (for the most part, people get that you have to be pretty well off to afford to live most places in the Bay Area) and a more laid-back environment than LA.

People love living here for the city life, walkable neighborhoods, distinct personalities of neighborhoods that exist right across the street from one another, the proximity to great outdoor options, the cultural vibe and history, the unmatched entrepreneurial atmosphere, roaring economy, beautiful scenery and unique sense of place that encompasses all of these things.
I like these descriptions of SF, I agree, you expressed that well.

I lived in SF, many years, several different neighborhoods, and I lived in LA several years, several different neighborhoods.

What did I like about LA better?... the average working person is nicer, more open, friendlier, less judgmental. I love the beach culture and beach cities of LA because I'm a surfer. And, LA has fabulous pool parties, in the middle of the city you have the Hollywood Hills with fabulous homes, big homes with big lots for awesome parties!

High end very expensive fashion is appreciated and expressed gloriously in LA. The elite and very wealthy on the whole, dress more conservatively in SF compared to LA.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Well to be fair LA is pretty liberal too and had a massive amount of homeless. But it stikes me as a more square town and better for families than SF. I'm pretty sure has a larger percentage of gays than LA. They come to the SF from all over the country.
the ******* disease has infested all of California, mainly coastal California.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:27 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,546,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Disagree. LA is the absolute worst city for families in the entire USA. SF is actually a better place for families, although it is also quite problematic.

There are better places for families around L.A., though. Just like there are much better places for families in the Bay Area than The City.
In what sense?

If you're talking about Downtown LA, then sure. But LA itself is not unfriendly to families. You should see all of the young hipster families moving into Eagle Rock, Glassel Park, Atwater Village, Los Feliz, etc. Glendale and Burbank have always been family-friendly.

Lots of cute little secluded cities and suburbs all around LA that are family-friendly such as Sierra Madre, Diamond Bar, the northern OC cities (Yorba Linda, Fullerton, Anaheim Hills), the San Gabriel Valley cities and the western suburbs like Thousand Oaks, Simi and Valencia. I don't need to mention the inland OC cities of Aliso Viejo and Irvine, but yeah...

Further out in the I.E. you've got Corona, Redlands, Yucaipa, Temecula, Chino Hills, Eastvale and Rancho Cucamonga -- all very family friendly.

In the Bay Area, I've always thought of the I-680 corridor (Pleasanton to Concord) as being family-friendly, as well as Novato, Santa Rosa and most of Sonoma County.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
My conservatism has more to do with being fiscally conservative and the state getting a better grasp on its finances and not taxing us all to death.
that isn't conservatism in my opinion. that for me is more so wanting small government than being conservative. but yet again, I am the Hispanic-Catholic conservative variant that lacks the Anglo Protestant "Conservative" idealism. Conservatism for me more so is social than economics.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:30 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post

What did I like about LA better?... the average working person is nicer, more open, friendlier, less judgmental. I love the beach culture and beach cities of LA because I'm a surfer. And, LA has fabulous pool parties, in the middle of the city you have the Hollywood Hills with fabulous homes, big homes with big lots for awesome parties!

High end very expensive fashion is appreciated and expressed gloriously in LA. The elite and very wealthy on the whole, dress more conservatively in SF compared to LA.
I think you did a better job of encapsulating what I was trying to say about LA in a manner that would not offend the OP, which I inadvertently did. I will take exception to the "dress more conservatively" comment, though. I think it's just that people dress "down" much more in SF.

I don't think it's to affect a "wannabe skater" aesthetic, as a couple have assumed, either. I think part of the general SF culture is to not care much about fashion. Judge that positively or negatively, but it is my observation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland