Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2014, 11:44 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,144,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez765 View Post
you aren't a native bro. in order to be a native, you have to be born in CA.
I know. I am a native of one of the two real cities in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 11:45 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,078,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Why is that? I know several families raising kids in those places and they all seem to love them.
I am simply not fond of those areas. the only part of the Bay Area that I'm fond of is the I-680 corridor.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:46 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,121,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
NYC or Philly?

Old 09-14-2014, 11:46 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,529,496 times
Quote:
sounds correct but you lack the Hispanic pragmatism and acquired the Anglo idealism. nothing wrong with the Anglo idealism as the Anglo idealism has propelled the US to be the most technologically advanced society (stuff like Apple and Microsoft were thought of by men who had strong ideals) in the world but the resulting drawbacks are the stupid political/social movements we have in the US (i.e; Liberalism, political correctness, bible-thumpers "conservatives, tea party movement, etc).
I am active in the San Fernando Valley Tea Party where I live. We have members from all races, small business owners, gay and lesbian people -- all walks of life and backgrounds, even a few registered Democrats. TEA stands for "Taxed Enough Already"...

As for the Anglo idealism, yeah, that's probably true and probably coming from my Filipino side...I studied political science for a year in college.

But don't forget that the Irish and Italians were the first to have the Conservative pragmatism. We Hispanics sort of acquired that from them. I believe its because we share that similar blue-collar background and working-class ethic that many Irish and Italians were known for. Like them, we Hispanics are not hostile to unions and the safety net, we just want responsibility and respect for entrepeneurialism.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
“America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans.
Everywhere else is Cleveland.”-― Tennessee Williams

Old 09-14-2014, 11:50 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,144,570 times
Quote:
NYC or Philly?
What's philly?

Old 09-14-2014, 11:50 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,540,053 times
Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't want to have a child in the City. I can't say I'd like to have one in the city of LA either, but it's a lot easier for me to understand how that would work, at least.

There are more dogs than children in San Francisco, BTW.
I wouldn't want to have a kid in either - but I can't think of any US city which would be less conducive to having a kid than L.A.

SF not even pretending to be kid-friendly has its advantages.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
I am active in the San Fernando Valley Tea Party where I live. We have members from all races, small business owners, gay and lesbian people -- all walks of life and backgrounds, even a few registered Democrats. TEA stands for "Taxed Enough Already"...
Tea Party is too libertarian.

Quote:
As for the Anglo idealism, yeah, that's probably true and probably coming from my Filipino side...I studied political science for a year in college.
Filipinos have it more because they were an American colony.

Quote:
But don't forget that the Irish and Italians were the first to have the Conservative pragmatism. We Hispanics sort of acquired that from them. I believe its because we share that similar blue-collar background and working-class ethic that many Irish and Italians were known for. Like them, we Hispanics are not hostile to unions and the safety net, we just want responsibility and respect for entrepeneurialism.
yes, very true but the Italians and Irish eventually Anglofied as well (the Hispanics are heading the same direction, sadly). all the catholic immigrants eventually become Anglo because of the character of the US.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:52 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,121,782 times
Quote:
I am simply not fond of those areas. the only part of the Bay Area that I'm fond of is the I-680 corridor.
It's odd to me to think of an Interstate highway as delineating a person's fondness for a place. I think that the presence of an Interstate highway automatically reduces my fondness for a place.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:53 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,540,053 times
Quote:
Walnut Creek yes; forget it in the Peninsula, Marin County, and Fremont.
What's wrong with raising kids in the Peninsula or Marin, other than conspicuous consumption?

Walnut Creek isn't exactly poor and also has problems with conspicuous consumption. Lamorinda has some major problems in this regard,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland