Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2014, 07:26 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
ill say it again, air pollution as "low" as it is, causes temp increase. and yeah its so protected that bay that is fed by the same cold waters that surround SF, in not one, not two, but 3 sides, and may i remind you that one of those three sides sav listed, one of the three that keep SF so cold, is the same one sitting right under the nose of Oakland.

How you like my response?

It's just as I thought it would be: completely idiotic and not at all rooted in science.

Oakland's mild weather is due to a myriad of conditions, but "air pollution" is not a significant factor for anywhere in the Bay Area aside from places that are right next to refineries- let alone Oakland. You truly are just making this up as you go along. Maybe apply a little more critical thought and you might be able to unravel the mysteries of Oakland's SoCal-like climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 07:45 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,471,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
It's just as I thought it would be: completely idiotic and not at all rooted in science.

Oakland's mild weather is due to a myriad of conditions, but "air pollution" is not a significant factor for anywhere in the Bay Area aside from places that are right next to refineries- let alone Oakland. You truly are just making this up as you go along. Maybe apply a little more critical thought and you might be able to unravel the mysteries of Oakland's SoCal-like climate.
SOCAL-LIKE climate, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, you wish.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:02 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
probably, in the 10 years of following weather.com it hasn't changed a bit (Averages), but that is not the point.
Actually it has, I remember San Diego used to have an average high of 76 for July and 78 for August. I remember when they announced when the new 30 year averages had changed. So it is updated and either way that makes no difference because if one is outdated, according to you, then they all are.

Quote:
it is the same because Malibu uses the SaMo pier stats, and Malibu is slightly warmer if the data were taken say on the Malibu lagoon. Pacific palisades and Malibu are pratically the same with maybe 1 F difference, and Santa Monica, which borders Pacific palisades is also virtually the same. also putting aside the samo pier stats, malibu because south facing is naturally warmer, but because Santa Monica is a urban gridlocked city it much highly affected by urban heat island, so yes it is the same however you look at it, malibu's homes with acres of greenery around on four sides with minimal source of urban heat effect, is the same as Santa Monica a geographically different beach but thanks to its urban heat effect that is dozens of times stronger there makes the temps the same.
Oh so the same weather site is used for multiple cities like I said? So it's entirely possible that those averages for San Clemente and Laguna Beach aren't even from either city?
Quote:
Of course you are going to disagree because i just shot down your biggest point of "defense" but whatever.
No you didn't really shoot down anything but just came up with more excuses and BS explanations because you always have one no matter what.

Quote:
I dont like pollution either, nobody does, but if not for airpollution in the bay area, Oakland would have the same temps that SF experieces now, and SF would have even lower temps, that my freind is very true, oakland being next to the cold bay that is fed by the cold pacific off SF shores. well then that grey air hovering over the port in oakland must be purest form of oxygen in this world, or it must have been that lingering fog you guys so dearly love.
If you want to believe the Bay Area is warmer than it might otherwise be go ahead although you have NOTHING like any research to support that. Air pollution is pretty low along the bay, especially in SF, so any difference it might would be insignificant imo. It just seems like you're running out of BS to throw out so you resort to something like this, not surprised.

SF is next to the cold pacific ocean, Oakland is next to a bay that is warmer overall, the water is 70 off Alameda right now. You remember sheltered bays are warmer than the open ocean right?

Quote:
i dont need to repeat myself about my years of experience in coastal socal, i will believe my PERSONAL EXPERIENCE OF YEARS, over your erroneous remarks over an area that ive lived in for YEARS.
Well I take my experience of having lived in both places including within 8 blocks of the sand in Southern CA over your inland LA experience lol.

Last edited by sav858; 10-02-2014 at 09:13 PM..

Old 10-02-2014, 09:12 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
SOCAL-LIKE climate, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, you wish.
Um those are YOUR WORDS as welll:
Quote:
/url]That Fremont summer is what the coastal Socal beaches summers look like, and there are other beaches warmer than that (Long Beach, Seal beach, PVP, San Pedro, Willmington, laguna Beach, dana Point, San Clemente, etc) That east bay summer looks like a DT San Diego (a place that is considered to have the best weather in the country) summer (Average highs), the lows are way warmer in coastal SoCal.
Technically, according to weather.com, Oakland is slightly warmer at night than Laguna Beach/SC in winter and warmer during the day than Santa Monica in summer lol.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:19 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post

If you want to believe the Bay Area is warmer than it might otherwise be go ahead although you have NOTHING like any research to support that. Air pollution is pretty low along the bay, especially in SF, so any difference it might would be insignificant imo. It just seems like you're running out of BS to throw out so you resort to something like this, not surprised.

SF is next to the cold pacific ocean, Oakland is next to a bay that is warmer overall, the water is 70 off Alameda right now. You remember sheltered bays are warmer than the open ocean right?

Naw dude the pollution is what makes Oakland colder than SF during the winter and warmer during the summer. It has nothing to do with the fact that the Pacific is much colder and deeper than the shallow SF Bay that warms up and cools down quickly. It's all that pollution! Nevermind that most of the Bay Area's pollution is blown towards the Central Valley creating horrible air quality- it has a magical warming effect- but only during the summer! LMAO

Old 10-03-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Actually it has, I remember San Diego used to have an average high of 76 for July and 78 for August. I remember when they announced when the new 30 year averages had changed. So it is updated and either way that makes no difference because if one is outdated, according to you, then they all are.

Oh so the same weather site is used for multiple cities like I said? So it's entirely possible that those averages for San Clemente and Laguna Beach aren't even from either city?
No you didn't really shoot down anything but just came up with more excuses and BS explanations because you always have one no matter what.

Well I take my experience of having lived in both places including within 8 blocks of the sand in Southern CA over your inland LA experience lol.
So are you telling me that the temps actually dropped, HAHA, man please

Average Weather for San Diego, CA - Temperature and Precipitation

they are from those two cities because one, their climate is almost identical, and two, the other closest cities are 90s in the summer in Mission Valley, much warmer.

more BS, if that is what you want to call it.

So was SF cooler or hotter (than it is now) when the Spanish started settling there when there was no gridlock or urban form, or are you going to lean on that SD BS that you remeber it was hotter 30 years ago than it is now?

Old 10-03-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Um those are YOUR WORDS as welll:
Technically, according to weather.com, Oakland is slightly warmer at night than Laguna Beach/SC in winter and warmer during the day than Santa Monica in summer lol.
again it is taken on the SM pier, and for the night in Laguna it may as well be outdated.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:44 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,159,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CirclingLogan View Post
I know a lot of people from back east who have no idea what to think of Oakland.
Oakland is not really on anyone's radar back east, or even in California.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:12 PM

339 posts, read 515,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Oakland is not really on anyone's radar back east, or even in California.
Not true. I know a people that specifically moved here from the east coast. Oakland has been all over the NYT. The Bay Area is hugely popular in NYC/DC/etc., and Oakland is the new thing to check out. Those on the cultural cutting edge are aware. However, yeah, most find it a curiosity at best and a place to avoid at worst.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:18 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,159,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CirclingLogan View Post
Not true. I know a people that specifically moved here from the east coast. Oakland has been all over the NYT. The Bay Area is hugely popular in NYC/DC/etc., and Oakland is the new thing to check out. Those on the cultural cutting edge are aware. However, yeah, most find it a curiosity at best and a place to avoid at worst.
LOL, Oakland was in the NYT, because of transplants who got priced out of SF.

The cultural cutting edge, a code word for hipsters, have mostly moved on to Portland.

It's more scenesters and yupsters in Oakland. Starving artists don't do the east bay any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland