U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 07:24 PM

16,106 posts, read 26,917,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
I did the vertical line thing you did and the highest point from the northern part of the airport is 217 ft on susana ave, my view on google dipped so it looked like a birds eye view but i fixed it, but that is no where near as much protection as the 300 foot elevations west of sd airport.

yes to the south there are 1,000 foot peaks, but like you insist and are 100 % correct, the westward winds are the strongest and have a much larger effect. SD is more protected from westward winds than torrance is. those 400 foot elevations to the west of the southern tip of torrance airport are valid but we dont know where the temp is taken if in Northern tip or southern tip.

305 foot (la paloma ave) elevations just west of SD airport are quite protective.
There are no 300 ft elevations west of the northern tip of the SD airport.

Yeah we don't know exactly where they are taken, a good guess might be the air traffic control tower and in that case the hills west of Torrance are over a 100ft higher.

The hills west of the northern part of the SD airport vs the Torrance airport might be about 30-50 ft higher but the hills on the southern end of the airports are over 150 higher in Torrance. That combined with the 1000ft hills to the south and it's clear to anyone with a half of brain that Torrance is more protected. You yourself said the southwinds are significant no? Or are you retracting that now?

Quote:
day temps torrance is warmer, night san diego is warmer. day temps are more reflective IMO of F temps, if you want to go to the beach you'd chek the day temps compared to the night temps wouldnt you? I know 78 F high in august and sep in Redondo Beach, compared to a 77 F and 76 F high on coronado beach isnt much difference but this shows how Redondo is regularly warmer than Coronado beach.

As you can see torrance is much warmer in the day than SD ( Sep 1st, through today)

Monthly Weather Forecast for Torrance, CA - weather.com
Monthly Weather Forecast for San Diego, CA - weather.com

Torrance - 27 days above 80 F, 12 days above 90 F, high of 99 F, lowest high 77 F, and 8 days at 79 F
San Diego - 20 days above 80 F, 3 days above 90 F, high of 92 F, lowest high 73 F, and 2 days of 79 F
Okay? No one was arguing that Torrance wasn't warmer during the day, what exactly is your point? Having that extra protection would help make it warmer during the day and colder at night of course.
Quote:
Note that Torrance is regularly more humid than San Diego Airport.
Where exactly are you noting that because the weather.com links don't show humidity at all?
Quote:
also Torrance monthly high is warmer than SD in every month of the year.
Yes being more protected from the ocean contributes to those higher temps, I'm well aware thanks

Quote:
but if you want to go with average temp which is fair. yes SD is warmer on average than Torrance (the coolest beaches in LA Metro at night)b/c of warmer night temps, but by this logic...

LONG BEACH is warmer than ANTIOCH (Bay Area's HOTTEST climate), yes an LA Beach city is warmer than the Bay Area's hottest city, gasp.

Climatology Comparison for Antioch, CA - weather.com
Long Beach is also warmer than Canoga Park too LOL
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
ive been posting scientific data (urban heat), weather.com sources, noaa, etc.
Where is your data on the difference the urban heat island affect has? How many degrees warmer does it make it? WHERE IS THE DATA?

WHERE IS THE DATA that shows 53F lows in Santa Monica in winter?

I keep asking you for this data and you keep ignoring me and not showing me any scientific data that supports your assertion. So for the 100th time, where is this data to support your statements?

Old 10-10-2014, 07:36 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,026,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
There are no 300 ft elevations west of the northern tip of the SD airport.

Yeah we don't know exactly where they are taken, a good guess might be the air traffic control tower and in that case the hills west of Torrance are over a 100ft higher.

The hills west of the northern part of the SD airport vs the Torrance airport might be about 30-50 ft higher but the hills on the southern end of the airports are over 150 higher in Torrance. That combined with the 1000ft hills to the south and it's clear to anyone with a half of brain that Torrance is more protected. You yourself said the southwinds are significant no? Or are you retracting that now?

Okay? No one was arguing that Torrance wasn't warmer during the day, what exactly is your point? Having that extra protection would help make it warmer during the day and colder at night of course.
Where exactly are you noting that because the weather.com links don't show humidity at all?
Yes being more protected from the ocean contributes to those higher temps, I'm well aware thanks

Long Beach is also warmer than Canoga Park too LOL
AGAIN for the NTH time the westward winds are much more stronger and have much more effect, yes south winds have an effect but more like a 1 or 2 F change, compared to west winds that is absolutely nothing.

more protected from South winds, yes, from western winds (the prevalent winds) no.

underground does, and it shows how this summer Torrance has higher dewpoints summer after summer.

yes "Canoga Park is 7 degrees warmer than Long Beach" says that Long Beach is warmer than Canoga Park, ahahaha. good one.

A beach city regularly at 85 in summer, compared to this valley location around 100 F is warmer in the day.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
AGAIN for the NTH time the westward winds are much more stronger and have much more effect, yes south winds have an effect but more like a 1 or 2 F change, compared to west winds that is absolutely nothing.

more protected from South winds, yes, from western winds (the prevalent winds) no.
Well the hills are higher to the west than SD's airport and the temperature range is also greater, which also indicates more protection from coastal winds. Why is it both warmer and colder than SD during the summer? What BS explanation do you have for that one now?
Quote:
underground does, and it shows how this summer Torrance has higher dewpoints summer after summer.
I'm sure that 1F difference makes it feel like Florida lol.
Quote:

yes "Canoga Park is 7 degrees warmer than Long Beach" says that Long Beach is warmer than Canoga Park, ahahaha. good one.

A beach city regularly at 85 in summer, compared to this valley location around 100 F is warmer in the day.
Did you forget how to do math again? I was referring to the annual mean temp since that is what you referring to.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:42 PM

WHERE IS THIS DATA BTW?

Where is your data on the difference the urban heat island affect has? How many degrees warmer does it make it? WHERE IS THE DATA?

I keep asking you for this data and you keep ignoring me and not showing me any scientific data that supports your assertion. So for the 100th time, where is this data to support your statements?

Old 10-11-2014, 09:23 AM

4,576 posts, read 8,217,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
People i know who moved to Oakland chose it for the "oakland-ness."

Personally the SF I would have chosen to live in disappeared somewhere between 1997-2005. Oakland was the only choice.
So did SF get up and walk off the globe, or is it simply out of your price range?

Old 10-11-2014, 09:53 AM

5,250 posts, read 6,785,699 times
Once again, the point flew entirely over your head.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:01 AM

28,093 posts, read 31,783,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
So did SF get up and walk off the globe, or is it simply out of your price range?
No the people changed. It was in my price range for the bulk of the time. The version of SF I liked was a lot friendlier and more open minded than the one that has emerged in the past decade. A lot less pretentious too. Now add in over-priced. NYC is looking cheaper than SF.

The attitude (the white guys) in this video pretty much sums up the change perfectly. http://uptownalmanac.com/2014/10/bro...s-soccer-field

Last edited by jade408; 10-11-2014 at 10:15 AM..

Old 10-11-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Well the hills are higher to the west than SD's airport and the temperature range is also greater, which also indicates more protection from coastal winds. Why is it both warmer and colder than SD during the summer? What BS explanation do you have for that one now?
I'm sure that 1F difference makes it feel like Florida lol.
Did you forget how to do math again? I was referring to the annual mean temp since that is what you referring to.
i dont have an explanation on why PVP/Redondo beaches are cooler at night than all other LA Area beaches, but i do know why SD airport has 67 F average lows in Aug, its because the SD bay averages about 72 F in August, compared to 68 F in coronado beaches, that proximity to warmer waters make it warmer. but still SD isnt the warmest locale in SoCal at night during summer, Newport/Costa Mesa is the warmest coastal area in socal in summer.

Costa Mesa August Weather 2014 - AccuWeather Forecast for CA 92626

San Diego August Weather 2014 - AccuWeather Forecast for CA 92101

i was reffering to daily average high, even in the day Long Beach is warmer than Antioch on Average, and in the day Canoga Park is much warmer in the day by average.

Old 10-11-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
WHERE IS THIS DATA BTW?

look at the wiki page for urban heat it will tell you

my 53 F was an educated guess, and its probably correct too, how can you argue that an unprotected locale in on top of the ocean is warmer than a place blocked by tons of buildings and man made structures releasing artificial warmth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland