Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 05:27 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You must have a really selective memory, it doesn't happen often but I can remember several times frost and temps in the low 30's along the coast in San Diego.

Freezing temps reach San Diego | FOX5 San Diego

And don't you need to warm up at night in Long Beach or anywhere else in Coastal SoCal too during winter as they average lows into the 40's as well? The average low in Jan in Oakland is 44 vs. 46 in LB.
I think everyone is aware of that but it still doesn't make any sense to compare Oakland to the San Fernando Valley.

You really don't seem to know what the climate up here is like at all and don't even seem to get it right about it in Southern CA.
notice how i didnt say all beaches. Beaches like Santa Monica, malibu, venice beach, and Newport havent recorded frosts. and the others have record lows between 28 and 32.

not all beaches average 40s in winter, Santa monica bay beaches are in the low 50s, and beaches around newport are 50s in winter.

I compared the hottest part of the Bay area Walnut creek to hottest part of LA city limit, that is very fair, and anybody could make sense of that.

after living here for more than 20 years i know the climate like the palm of my hand, and every time ive gone to the bay area (ive gone in all seasons) which are multiple, its too cold. with the exception of the inner bay area cities (Walnut creek concord) all the times ive been even in summer ive needed to take sweaters and jackets, and so do all visitors from other parts of socal (and entire USA) take warm clothes even for summer to visit Sf and the bay area, so i have a pretty good idea of what the climate is like. just because you have gotten used to it you dont seem to think its too cold, but for us down here its too cold.

Even mt wilson which is 6000 feet high up in the San Gabriel mountains has the same average yearly high than oakland, and its only 4 F cooler yearly at night than oakland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 06:00 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
notice how i didnt say all beaches. Beaches like Santa Monica, malibu, venice beach, and Newport havent recorded frosts. and the others have record lows between 28 and 32.

not all beaches average 40s in winter, Santa monica bay beaches are in the low 50s, and beaches around newport are 50s in winter.

I compared the hottest part of the Bay area Walnut creek to hottest part of LA city limit, that is very fair, and anybody could make sense of that.

after living here for more than 20 years i know the climate like the palm of my hand, and every time ive gone to the bay area (ive gone in all seasons) which are multiple, its too cold. with the exception of the inner bay area cities (Walnut creek concord) all the times ive been even in summer ive needed to take sweaters and jackets, and so do all visitors from other parts of socal (and entire USA) take warm clothes even for summer to visit Sf and the bay area, so i have a pretty good idea of what the climate is like. just because you have gotten used to it you dont seem to think its too cold, but for us down here its too cold.

Even mt wilson which is 6000 feet high up in the San Gabriel mountains has the same average yearly high than oakland, and its only 4 F cooler yearly at night than oakland.
Ok but many others have recorded frosts and temps below freezing, so there really isn't a difference with Oakland in that regard. Also I have a tough time believing places like Malibu hasn't recorded any frost since it's actually snowed in the canyons there. Or Newport either considering it's dropped down into the upper 20's there before.

Newport averages upper 40's in winter as well. The nighttime temps in winter aren't that far off from Northern CA, it's summer that's much different.

Oh so now it's too cold for you even though you said this the other day:

Quote:
six months of summer in the East SF Bay? east bay isnt as hot as you make it sound, and not 6 months of summer, Fremont for example 71, 75, 77, 77, 77, 73 from May to October (average high). that is very pleasant for your average person. most people there love the climate.

Average Weather for Fremont, CA - Temperature and Precipitation

That Fremont summer is what the coastal Socal beaches summers look like, and there are other beaches warmer than that (Long Beach, Seal beach, PVP, San Pedro, Willmington, laguna Beach, dana Point, San Clemente, etc) That east bay summer looks like a DT San Diego (a place that is considered to have the best weather in the country) summer (Average highs), the lows are way warmer in coastal SoCal.
And before you try to talk about how you were talking about nights, no one was ever denying how much cooler it is at night here and have even pointed that out. You completely contradicted yourself lol.

I think people who have lived in both places have a much better idea of what the climate is like than you.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Ok but many others have recorded frosts and temps below freezing, so there really isn't a difference with Oakland in that regard. Also I have a tough time believing places like Malibu hasn't recorded any frost since it's actually snowed in the canyons there. Or Newport either considering it's dropped down into the upper 20's there before.

Newport averages upper 40's in winter as well. The nighttime temps in winter aren't that far off from Northern CA, it's summer that's much different.

Oh so now it's too cold for you even though you said this the other day:

And before you try to talk about how you were talking about nights, no one was ever denying how much cooler it is at night here and have even pointed that out. You completely contradicted yourself lol.

I think people who have lived in both places have a much better idea of what the climate is like than you.
nope. the mountain peaks recorded snow which are thousands of feet up.

No, Newport Averages 50-51 F low in winter (49 dec, 50 jan, 51 feb, 52 mar). the high temps for newport (plus other places) are really erroneous, having worked in newport washing cars for a number of years summer temps are much higher, higher than oakland for sure.

exactly, I said its not as scorching hot as the OP made it sound, i said its very pleasant to the average person.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:23 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,276,539 times
sigh. keep moving those goal posts buddy. first you talk about the SF Valley and now you're talking about Newport Beach. you have no clue what you're talking about, and it's really obvious you're just making things up at this point. just admit that Oakland isn't 20 degrees colder than coastal areas of LA and call it a day, ok?

Old 09-26-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
sigh. keep moving those goal posts buddy. first you talk about the SF Valley and now you're talking about Newport Beach. you have no clue what you're talking about, and it's really obvious you're just making things up at this point. just admit that Oakland isn't 20 degrees colder than coastal areas of LA and call it a day, ok?
im talking about newport since Sav said it wasnt fair to compare SFV to Oakland so i used Newport instead, point to one thing im making up buddy.

i said a couple of posts ago that it depends on which part of LA if its 10 dgrees warmer or 20 degrees warmer. coast and nighboring cities 10 F, inland regions 20F, to close to 30 F in the hottest parts of SFV in summer. but again because its not fair to compare inland LA to oakland... you see now.

also then if its not fair, why compare LA to oakland in the first place. weather-wise LA's closest thing to oakland is some beach cities. Art deco buildings thats mostly in Central LA, not coast. hills and mts that is in the Valley and hollywood, not the coast or Central LA, etc. but Oakland is mostly all uniform and tiny compared to LA

you cant compare a city the size of LA being different in every corner, to a city like oakland.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
nope. the mountain peaks recorded snow which are thousands of feet up.

No, Newport Averages 50-51 F low in winter (49 dec, 50 jan, 51 feb, 52 mar). the high temps for newport (plus other places) are really erroneous, having worked in newport washing cars for a number of years summer temps are much higher, higher than oakland for sure.

exactly, I said its not as scorching hot as the OP made it sound, i said its very pleasant to the average person.
The hills around Malibu aren't that high. Btw:

Chill alert: overnight frost advisory issued - Malibu Times: News

Oh sorry didn't realize 49 was 50's now. Okay so the data must be erroneous when it contradicts what you say, got it...lol

So if places like the inner East Bay (Fremont) are too cold for you every time you have gone yet they're like Coastal SoCal, again according to you, aren't you saying then Downtown SD and Coastal SoCal are "too cold"? Do you really not see the glaring contradiction there? Or perhaps you really don't know what the Bay Area's climate is like outside of SF and Oakland, which is okay but just admit it.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:54 PM

Oakland's winter lows and summer high's look eerily similar to Oceanside lol:

Oakland, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oceanside, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-26-2014, 07:06 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,276,539 times
Quote:

you cant compare a city the size of LA being different in every corner, to a city like oakland.
Aside from the ghetto, crime ridden flats that look like the slums of LA, you're right. The hills, Lake Merritt, Jack London Square and the estuary, are much nicer than most of LA proper.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
The hills around Malibu aren't that high. Btw:

Chill alert: overnight frost advisory issued - Malibu Times: News

Oh sorry didn't realize 49 was 50's now. Okay so the data must be erroneous when it contradicts what you say, got it...lol

So if places like the inner East Bay (Fremont) are too cold for you every time you have gone yet they're like Coastal SoCal, again according to you, aren't you saying then Downtown SD and Coastal SoCal are "too cold"? Do you really not see the glaring contradiction there? Or perhaps you really don't know what the Bay Area's climate is like outside of SF and Oakland, which is okay but just admit it.
only 2000-3000 ft peaks thats it, not too big.

dont you know basic math take the lows for the winter months add them together divide by the number of months you added and wala there is your average damn.

When ive gone its never above 75F only one summer i went it was in the 80s in SJ, but up to oakland and SF the warmth went away, i know its not like that always but its pretty big coinsidence that all the times ive been is SUMMER its not above 75 F SF and OAK, more like mid 60s highs.

and i said that Fremont isnt hot, i never said its freezing, again i said its very nice to the average person. would you consider Mailbu to hot and Arid, just like the OP considered Fremont?

DTSD has an enjoyable climate year round its not blazing hot, that is why SD is considered to have the best weather in US, the geography of SD makes it cooler than beaches to the North of it.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Oakland's winter lows and summer high's look eerily similar to Oceanside lol:

Oakland, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oceanside, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

yeah the SD beaches are cooler than LA/OC beaches and your point is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland