Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2014, 02:47 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,471,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
By CA standard and even LA standards no they aren't. But either way that snow was occuring at much lower elevations, below 1000 ft.

Snow in Malibu!!! -- Earth Changes -- Sott.net

"Most of the snow fell south of Sunset Boulevard and just east of the 405 Freeway. Residents told NBC4 that several inches of snow fell in their yards.

The last snowfall recorded at Los Angeles International Airport was in January 1962, according to the National Weather Service. Trace amounts -- less than 0.5 inches -- were reported, according to the NWS. "

Oh but Santa Monica has never seen frost even though it's snowed at LAX and a few miles away in 2007 lol.

From my experience I find that data to be erroneous so therefor it is.

I'm guessing you must this erroneous too no?

Avg Lows in Dec/Jan/Feb
Redondo Beach: 46/46/48

Average Weather for Redondo Beach, CA - Temperature and Precipitation
And your point? How often a year do you visit? Again you have not lived in both places yet you think you're some expert. But I guess the averages up here must be erroneous because you don't agree with them lol.

BTW it's been 75 or above 11 times this month so far:
Monthly Weather Forecast for Oakland, CA - weather.com
You still clearly don't get what you said and how you contradicted yourself. First you claim that inner east bay areas like Fremont are just like coastal SoCal during the day. Then you claim that only the outer Bay Area like Walnut Creek/Concord is warm and the rest is cold. By that logic you must think coastal SoCal is cold, which you clearly do not. Again, you just completely contradicted yourself in order to try to make an argument.
1000 ft in Antelope valley.

Only the peaks got snow, why isnt snow on the official records at LAX? hmm?

Santa Monica has never recorded a temp below 32 F and no frost.

i visit every year or so.

I never said fremont is COLD i said its not as hot as the OP makes it sound, yes Walnut creek makes Fremont look cold, and yes most LA/OC beaches are warmer than Freemont. DO YOU SEE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Actually SD beaches are warmer than LA beaches. And my point was that Oakland's summertime weather during the day is somewhat similar to coastal Southern CA, it's still a little cooler overall but not like this huge difference you seem to erroneously think it is.

I know you try to pretend that south facing Long Beach is what LA County beaches are like but they're not, they're cooler than SD beaches overall as is your water which is why its colder there at night in summer. OC has warmer (and cleaner) water but LA is not OC.

Even Santa Monica is colder than Oakland during the day in summer lol. And Redondo Beach is almost as cold at night as Oakland in winter.

Look at those balmy coastal LA/OC temps...

Avg highs July/Aug/Sep

Santa Monica: 70/71/71
Huntington Beach: 71/72/72
NOPE LA/OC beaches are warmer than San Diego, and the warmest water in socal is off Newport beach/South OC. That SD data is taken inside the san diego bay, if LA temps were taken inside the port of LA channels it would be the same, if Newport water temps were recorded inside the back bay it would be much warmer (instead its taken in open ocean waters). OC beaches are the only beaches that average 70 F water temps, no beach in SD does. look at the newport beach lows and compare them to DTSD lows for this summer, tell me which are warmer.

San Diego doesnt have a beach as warm in the day as Laguna, san clemente, seal beach, long beach, san pedro, palos verdes, torrance, redondo, etc.

and doesnt have beaches as warm at night as santa mionica, malibu, newport, venice, newport coast, etc.

Those balmy temps you posted are taken 800 feet into the pacfic ocean on the Samo pier, and 1,300 feet into the pacific ocean on the huntington beach pier. nice try.

Old 09-27-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
LOL indeed.

Piedmont is richer than Beverly Hills btw, and **unquestionably** classier.

Average Family Income, 2012
Piedmont, CA $299,000
Beverly Hills, CA $236,000

Per Capita Income, 2012
Piedmont, CA $96,000
Beverly Hills, CA $75,000

Adults with a Bachelor Degree, 2012
Piedmont, CA 82%
Beverly Hills, CA 58%

I think this person needs a reality check about Oakland, it's hills and surroundings.

Clearly someone has bitten much more than they can chew. LOL.

The Oakland area has a huge proportion of professional and highly educated persons.
why not compare oakland to the richest areas of LA? you must be unfamiliar with LA to think that Beverly hills is the wealthiest. cities that come to mid are rolling hills, hidden hills, holmbly hills, bradbury, bel air, beverly glen, etc

Old 09-27-2014, 03:23 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,257,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CirclingLogan View Post
I know a lot of people from back east who have no idea what to think of Oakland. They have perceptions (not always accurate) of LA, SF, Portland, Seattle, San Diego, but Oakland draws a big blank outside of some murky conception of it being pretty rough.

I used to say a cross between Portland and Baltimore, but it never quite struck me as particularly useful.

Then, I was looking at a map of LA and realized how similar much of it is.

1. Climate. Oakland is a bit cooler, but still dominated by sunny, warm weather like LA.
2. Revitalizing Downtown. LA is a bit ahead on this, but similarly, Oakland's downtown went through years of neglect, but is now becoming a center of entertainment and nightlife.
3. Art Deco architecture. Both downtowns have prominent buildings from the 20s and 30s.
4. Dense, but car-friendly. Both pack in a lot of people per square mile, but still have freeway and boulevards throughout.
5. Residential = single-family home + apartment. Much of both cities is a combination of tightly packed craftsmans, 20s and 60s apartment buildings.
6. Hills. Both are dominated on one side by hills punctuated by large homes with great views.
7. Skyline Drive = Mulholland Drive.
8. Diversity. Both have an incredibly range of people; whites, Asians, blacks and latinos galore.
9. Inferiority complex. Neither are SF.

Obviously some major caveats. Replace the entertainment + beach culture with quirky/alternative + burgeoning tech.
Very insightful, and I much agree! The area around the Grand Lake theater looks almost exactly like urban LA, and the downtown architecture and revitalization comparisons are pretty interesting.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:47 PM

71 posts, read 113,528 times
Oakland is much more like Long Beach. Both pretty laid back cities within a few miles of Larger cities.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
Oakland in winter average upper 50s (high), and LA's coolest places are in mid 60s while the warmest places average low 70s in winter.

in summer oakland averages low 70s (high), while LA's coolest beaches are in the mid 70s and its warmest beaches are in mid 80s. The inland regions, and valleys go from low 90s in South Gate to upper 90s average high in the valley, and if you want to include the warmest parts of the bay area (Walnut creek, Concord) (89 F hottest month), the warmest parts of LA Metro average 100F (high) in July and August (Sun City, places in IE). So 20 F warmer is right
This comparison is off, as others have stated, because you're including a much wider region for LA than for the Bay Area, so you're including areas of "LA Metro" that are much more inland. To be fair in your comparison, you'd have to include Tracy and Stockton with the Bay Area then, and you'd be looking at average summer highs in the mid-90s. Overall, I'd say SoCal is ten degrees warmer than NorCal given the same distance from the ocean.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
With emphasis on the Baltimore aspect of that?

If anything, Oakland reminds me of two parts of L.A.: the part of Oakland on the Bay reminds me of Long Beach and the part of Oakland in the hills reminds me somewhat of Pasadena/Altadena.
I totally agree with this, plus the area around Lake Merritt reminds me of SilverLake/ Echo Park a lot. Really, both cities were built around the same time, with similar architecture and urban density, in California. It's only natural they would have similarities.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
This comparison is off, as others have stated, because you're including a much wider region for LA than for the Bay Area, so you're including areas of "LA Metro" that are much more inland. To be fair in your comparison, you'd have to include Tracy and Stockton with the Bay Area then, and you'd be looking at average summer highs in the mid-90s. Overall, I'd say SoCal is ten degrees warmer than NorCal given the same distance from the ocean.
Bay Area doesnt include Stockton, LA Area does include the San fernando Valley (which is LA city limits).

and woodland hills (LA's Hottest neighborhood) (which doesnt keep record keeping) is just 8 miles away from the Pacific Ocean.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:17 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
1000 ft in Antelope valley.

Only the peaks got snow, why isnt snow on the official records at LAX? hmm?

Santa Monica has never recorded a temp below 32 F and no frost.

i visit every year or so.

I never said fremont is COLD i said its not as hot as the OP makes it sound, yes Walnut creek makes Fremont look cold, and yes most LA/OC beaches are warmer than Freemont. DO YOU SEE?
LAX has recorded trace amounts of snow.

You said the Bay Area is too cold except for inland places like Walnut Creek and Concord, which would include Fremont. Yes you did say it's not as hot as the OP makes it sounds and went on about how nice and comparable the highs are to Coastal SoCal then turn around and claim it's too cold, contradicting yourself.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:56 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
NOPE LA/OC beaches are warmer than San Diego, and the warmest water in socal is off Newport beach/South OC. That SD data is taken inside the san diego bay, if LA temps were taken inside the port of LA channels it would be the same, if Newport water temps were recorded inside the back bay it would be much warmer (instead its taken in open ocean waters). OC beaches are the only beaches that average 70 F water temps, no beach in SD does. look at the newport beach lows and compare them to DTSD lows for this summer, tell me which are warmer.

San Diego doesnt have a beach as warm in the day as Laguna, san clemente, seal beach, long beach, san pedro, palos verdes, torrance, redondo, etc.

and doesnt have beaches as warm at night as santa mionica, malibu, newport, venice, newport coast, etc.

Those balmy temps you posted are taken 800 feet into the pacfic ocean on the Samo pier, and 1,300 feet into the pacific ocean on the huntington beach pier. nice try.
LA is not OC, I know you try to ride the coat tails of the warmer OC water temps and beach temps but LA beaches are colder both in the water and in the air than SD beaches. The warmest water is Southern OC and NORTHERN SD County

Long Beach facing south does help make it warmer, like it does for Santa Cruz but many of those other ones are not. I suggest you take a look at where many of those temps are, places like Torrance and Seal Beach are take 3 miles inland. You really think the temp swings between 80 and 60 on the beach in San Clemente in August? Must be some special microclimate that only exists on Orange County.

Trust me, SD county beaches are much warmer than the chilly 63 degrees Santa Monica and Venice average at night.

Oh so now I can't use Santa Monica's temps at night in summer b/c it's taken on the pier but you can for winter night time lows? See this is how you keep moving the goal post to fit your argument. Santa Monica is so warm and night in winter and has never seen frost but we can't look at their summer high temps. Nice try but your constant flip flopping and contradictions are apparent. I guess use whatever weather station fits your argument at the time but then dismiss when it doesn't huh?

Have you ever even lived within a mile of the actual ocean anywhere in Southern Ca?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland