Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 10:59 PM
SyZ SyZ started this thread

151 posts, read 137,563 times

Advertisements

I've lived in California my whole life

I'll be 30 on October 24th

I spent 27 years in So Cal, then the last 2 up here in the Bay Area for work as an insurance adjuster for a big company - there are tons of positions all around the country and my managers are very open with me being able to transfer somewhere if I think it's a good fit. I have a STEM degree from UCLA and I'm currently making only $45k. Laugh all you want, I already know I made poor choices. My debt is only around $30k, and 2/3 of that is student loans, only $2,000 is credit card debt which I will be out of my 2015

I don't like the traffic, the attitudes, the dryness, the hotness, the fact that people spend $2,000,000 on a home in my town of Pleasanton and have dirt and arid hills 3 feet on the other side of the house outside the shrubbery

My girlfriend really loves Portland. There is an office nearby in Tigard that I could maybe transfer to. What will the weather be like? What is traffic like? Are there any nice areas nearby, still close to Portland, that are cheaper? I'm looking at homes.com and I'm seeing 3 bedroom 2 bathroom 1,700 square foot single family houses for $250 ... where I am now, you'd be lucky to get a 1 bedroom 1 bath 800 square foot condo for $275, and I don't see the water, pollution, population issue being solved any time soon

I've thought about moving back east somewhere. Somewhere gorgeous like Vermont or Maine, but I'd be freezing. I love the architecture, the greenery, the brick houses, the whites and reds. Just something that isn't California

Any ideas? Is there no answer which is why everyone lives here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 12:06 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,239,299 times
You should probably ask these questions on the Oregon forum or just by visiting yourself. Portland isn't for everyone. Despite the fact that I like quirky, I found Portland a little too weird for my taste.

Go stalk the forums of other places you're interested in.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:07 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,106,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyZ View Post

I spent 27 years in So Cal, then the last 2 up here in the Bay Area for work as an insurance adjuster for a big company - there are tons of positions all around the country and my managers are very open with me being able to transfer somewhere if I think it's a good fit. I have a STEM degree from UCLA and I'm currently making only $45k. Laugh all you want, I already know I made poor choices. My debt is only around $30k, and 2/3 of that is student loans, only $2,000 is credit card debt which I will be out of my 2015

I don't like the traffic, the attitudes, the dryness, the hotness, the fact that people spend $2,000,000 on a home in my town of Pleasanton and have dirt and arid hills 3 feet on the other side of the house outside the shrubbery

My girlfriend really loves Portland. There is an office nearby in Tigard that I could maybe transfer to. What will the weather be like? What is traffic like? Are there any nice areas nearby, still close to Portland, that are cheaper? I'm looking at homes.com and I'm seeing 3 bedroom 2 bathroom 1,700 square foot single family houses for $250 ... where I am now, you'd be lucky to get a 1 bedroom 1 bath 800 square foot condo for $275, and I don't see the water, pollution, population issue being solved any time soon

I've thought about moving back east somewhere. Somewhere gorgeous like Vermont or Maine, but I'd be freezing. I love the architecture, the greenery, the brick houses, the whites and reds. Just something that isn't California

You're obviously very far out if you are finding 800 sq. ft. condos for $275K. I sympathize with your situation, but I don't believe Portland would be the answer for jump-starting your earnings. You need a financial center with a lot of jobs and a competitive market. In your line of work, I'd suggest Dallas. It is an insurance hot bed, and costs are a lot better than here.

Dallas is pretty hot and dry, but is much greener than the Tracy area. It's a nice city. Another option to consider is Chicago, if you can handle the weather. It's a little more expensive than Dallas, but the opportunities for career growth are much higher.

You won't be anywhere near qualifying for a loan with the amount of debt you have, though--no matter where you choose. So, concentrate on that first and work on buying something down the road.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:23 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,398,644 times
Quote:
I have a STEM degree from UCLA and I'm currently making only $45k. Laugh all you want, I already know I made poor choices.
I am not laughing I am just stunned

What type of STEM degree do you have?

Old 10-05-2014, 12:30 AM
SyZ SyZ started this thread

151 posts, read 137,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
I am not laughing I am just stunned

What type of STEM degree do you have?
B.S. in Statistics

The Bachelors was enough to open up thousands of jobs, and I never got one in my field as I graduated at 27 after years of not being in school and I had no internships or previous experience, and everything in the Bay Area is taken by 22 year olds with multiple internships

Not worth it to get a Master's at this point, and I'm not proficient enough in my field to do anything other than regressions and simple analyses, which just about anyone can learn after a semester

It's frustrating, sad, and my own fault - and outside of just continuously looking for a new position in that field (the longest job I've ever held is 17 months, and I'll be 30 this year) I don't really know what to do other than stay where I am here that has the potential for long term, even though the pay is paltry and below where I should be

Old 10-05-2014, 12:37 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,398,644 times
Quote:
B.S. in Statistics

The Bachelors was enough to open up thousands of jobs, and I never got one in my field as I graduated at 27 after years of not being in school and I had no internships or previous experience, and everything in the Bay Area is taken by 22 year olds with multiple internships

Not worth it to get a Master's at this point, and I'm not proficient enough in my field to do anything other than regressions and simple analyses, which just about anyone can learn after a semester

It's frustrating, sad, and my own fault - and outside of just continuously looking for a new position in that field (the longest job I've ever held is 17 months, and I'll be 30 this year) I don't really know what to do other than stay where I am here that has the potential for long term, even though the pay is paltry and below where I should be
Is there anyway you could work in the field of Biostatical Analysis? Many labs in the biotech industry need to establish validation studies (which relies heavily on statistics) for their Laboratory Developed Tests and I would imagine the pay would be very high.

I feel so bad for you having a statics degree and only getting paid that much. There has to be someplace in the Biotech world that could use your skills in statistics.

I would not give up on finding a good job in the Biotech industry that would pay you double what you are making now.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:37 AM

37,032 posts, read 41,957,933 times
Colorado? I know a couple people from Ptown who moved there and seem pretty happy with their decision. It's definitely NOT California

I don't get why you couldn't find internships while you were in school like the 22 year olds did, but if you're just interested in transferring, and not career questions, I'll just stand by CO.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:56 AM

4,040 posts, read 4,838,444 times
I agree with CO. TX is too hot and dry. Chicago? The weather's a killer. If you can't take VT, OP, forget Chicago. CO is a winner. Well, winters are cold, but not as cold as VT, the scenery is breathtaking, there's a good, dependable water supply (unlike CA, now!), people are friendly, and the smaller towns are generally quaint and scenic. Ask your company what options are available in CO, and check out the pay scale there and the COL in the towns the company can relocate you to. See if the math works to your advantage.

The Northwest is chronically overcast and rainy. And Portland is inland a bit, so it gets weird cold snaps in the winter that make it colder than Seattle.

Last edited by NewbiePoster; 10-05-2014 at 01:42 AM..

Old 10-05-2014, 12:56 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,106,374 times
The thing is, even though your pay is low, you have a job that is open to what you want to do, which is relocate. That's worth a lot in security for a move. To relocate for a strictly lateral position, however, would be a mistake of being shortsighted. Sure, you could find a lower cost place to live, but that's a temporary fix in a dead-end job.

My advice would be to use the company's willingness to let you relocate as an opportunity to work in a lower-cost market that allows you to pay down your debt a bit faster. At the same time, try to advance with the company in any way you can. I know you may not like working there for less than you're worth, but advancing in that position and building a track record is a big deal. Even if you only get a COL raise or a title in 6 months, your resume will be stronger and you will be more marketable.

Think of it this way: At 30, you are really on 5 years or so behind schedule. Rather than starting over in a totally new field, and thereby erasing whatever progress you have made, why not leverage where you are and try to build from a position of (relative) strength? You need to stabilize your work history a bit, map out a doable career path, and look at your position right now strategically. It's not a competition, so there's no such thing as "where you should be by this age," but I get your point and your impatience.

The good news is, a few bad choices made in your 20s can be quickly erased with a few good ones made in your 30s. Don't panic. Don't be rash. Have a plan. Pay down your debt, so you have the freedom to act impulsively, if needed in the future. Now is not the time, though.

Good luck.

PS--I would also agree that Colorado is a nicer place to live, but you are not on vacation. You are jumpstarting your earning potential and making up for lost time. Go where the money and the jobs are and the COL is lower.

Last edited by dalparadise; 10-05-2014 at 01:06 AM..

Old 10-05-2014, 12:57 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,506,920 times
Quote:

Dallas and TX in general is the promise land! Lots of jobs, competitive salaries and absurdly low cost of living. Very green, 4 season weather, modern cities and daily hassles of living (parking,traffic etc) are very low compared to anywhere in CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland