Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 04:25 PM

25 posts, read 23,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
I just moved to Walnut Creek from Orlando (College Park) back in March of this year ('14). My recommendations on where in the Bay Area to live would really depend on what type of place you have in Orlando, and what you're looking for out here. Things are obviously much more expensive out here and you have to understand that 50% of your gross income will go to taxes, 401k, healthcare and other payroll deductions, like state taxes, like you're not used to in Florida.

Hahaha $27k isn't an expensive car these days, just likely a newer one - and a reliable car is a MUST in Orlando. I don't recommend Oakformonday's advice, because you'd likely be way underwater if the car was bought new in the last 2 years. Just understand that even with a 6-figure salary here, the cost of housing is exponentially higher than Orlando, and with the additional taxes, that's why many Bay Area folks on one income don't have a $27k car loan. Just assume you will only bring home 50% of whatever that gross 6-figure salary is, and do what I call backwards budgeting.

Backwards budgeting is taking your starting point, subtracting the 50% for taxes, healthcare, and other payroll deductions, then subtracting everything you HAVE to pay, like your car payment, Electric/utilities, student loans, car insurance (if you only pay this every 6 months or once a year, divide that into a monthly figure), paying yourself (emergency savings), gas and other car maintenance expenses (more tricky here as you'd have to estimate how much you'd drive in a month with your vehicle's mpg and assume $4.20 per gal), whatever else you think you need, including some spending money, and whatever is left over is your budget for housing. Research and tweak.

The more research you do about the area into how much things cost, the better off you'll be. Best wishes.
I don' think I quite understanding the whole budget break down (50% of my paycheck?) My last job I worked remote from home in Florida but was still being taxed California taxed since that's where the company resides, But the state tax was not that bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 10:56 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animefreak2026 View Post
This is perfect. Thank you for the break down, it really help that you have been in my position exactly. I really enjoyed the breakdown.

But I have had a yearning for the city life, to live in a high rise look out my windows and see buildings and lights. Have a nice modern upscale apartment. Which is why i think i'm so attracted to SF.

I was thinking I'm OK with a $3000-$3800 rent but maybe i'm wrong. I should mentioned the company does not provide relocation assistance, so i'm moving on my own expanse. I get the money back but not upfront. I was thinking at first i might answer one of those CL ads for a roommate, to save on cost until i start making income. What is your take on this?

I want to live next to techies as well so I can make some friends. From what I can tell isn't SF where the employees for the big Tech companies live?
Techies live all over the area, I don't think you'll have issues with finding tech friends. Some live in south Bay, some in East Bay, some in the city and get bused down to their work. The ones who aren't making big bucks at startups are not going to be living in the city, unless they are living with a few other people.

I'm not going to tell you what to do with your money. Add up your potential commuting, food, 401K deduction, healthcare costs, and whatever else you need (cable, internet, misc purchases) to that potential rent. If you feel comfortable with how much money you have left over, and have enough left over to actually enjoy what the city has to offer you in your time off, then go for it. I personally like to have a financial safety net and am also saving for a more permanent residence, so my priorities are obviously different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland