Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 09:10 PM

2 posts, read 3,593 times

Advertisements

Hey, I'm from the Denver and I got a job offer in Fremont, CA. Now, I don't plan on living in Fremont. I'm 27, I'll have a roommate, we're the typical young, trendy designers/artists.

Commuting isn't an issue, I can drive an hour one way max. As far as rent, our max is $3k/month, 2 bedrooms. We'd prefer a house, for vegetable gardening sake. I also have a car.

San Fran is out of the question, pricing and only apartments (I assume). Where else is there, anything closer? We want just a cool, young, safer, trendy atmosphere.

Any advice is welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 09:13 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
714 posts, read 1,074,003 times
try checking parts of Oakland, preferably around Lake Merrit. other than that, you are going to be surrounded by boring suburbs.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:21 PM

18,812 posts, read 32,248,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez765 View Post
try checking parts of Oakland, preferably around Lake Merrit. other than that, you are going to be surrounded by boring suburbs.
Yeah, maybe try Berkeley, too.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:24 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
714 posts, read 1,074,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Yeah, maybe try Berkeley, too.
lol. i typically never recommend Berkeley because I hate that city with a passion (it's full of dirty liberal hipsters and it's part of the ******* center core) but if people want to go to live there, the more power to them.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:42 PM

18,812 posts, read 32,248,860 times
Quote:
lol. i typically never recommend Berkeley because I hate that city with a passion (it's full of dirty liberal hipsters and it's part of the ******* center core) but if people want to go to live there, the more power to them.
LMAO! Too funny. That's why I love it.

Berkeley is like a trip to another world. All types of people of all persuasions, colors, languages, backgrounds. I could just sit and drink coffee (or beer) on Telegraph Ave and just people watch for hours.

You got the rich folk on the hill, and the students in town, the hippies, the professors, just every type of religion, culture, dress...it's the mecca of diversity.

And so many entertainment options! Love that town!

Old 10-13-2014, 10:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,593 times
Quote:
Thanks, I should add I'd be leaving my place around 4-5am, how would the drive be?

Old 10-13-2014, 10:51 PM

6,399 posts, read 8,223,496 times
Check out these areas of Oakland: Lake Merritt, Grand Lake, Cleveland Heights, Adams Point, Temescal, Piedmont Ave if you like older, walkable, and character. If you want a more modern/urban apartment (think: dishwasher, in unit W/D, etc), Jack London Square, Old Oakland, and Uptown are great neighborhoods.

I live in Jack London and have to commute to Fremont early some mornings. Between 4-5am 880 should be mostly clear, but I've had to deal with traffic at 5:30am before where it's taken me about an hour to get to Fremont. In all honesty, I try my best to avoid the 880 corridor unless it's at night, and I'll drive the extra mileage to take 580 to 680 to get to Fremont- this route takes about 40-45 mins with minimal traffic. In theory, 880 between 4-5am shouldn't take longer than 30-35 mins, but 880 is the WORST stretch of freeway in the Bay Area. One accident, and it can be backed up in both directions for hours.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:51 AM

833 posts, read 1,191,826 times
Oakland, Berkeley, and even Alameda to a lesser extent fit the bill. Other than that, there is nothing really left. Unfortunately, the Bay Area is not as "hip" as people would like to think outside of the City.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:52 AM

28,225 posts, read 36,688,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
LMAO! Too funny. That's why I love it.

Berkeley is like a trip to another world. All types of people of all persuasions, colors, languages, backgrounds. I could just sit and drink coffee (or beer) on Telegraph Ave and just people watch for hours.

You got the rich folk on the hill, and the students in town, the hippies, the professors, just every type of religion, culture, dress...it's the mecca of diversity.

And so many entertainment options! Love that town!
Berkeley apartments are gross and overpriced! That's reason to skip it right there. Student quality apartments are the worst. Even if you like the Berkeley charm you won't find those grimy apartments charming. Landlords have zero incentive to keep up their places!

Old 10-14-2014, 02:45 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,480,705 times
If you want to live in a house and you don't care about commuting, why don't you just go for broke and live clear across the bay in Palo Alto? Or in the hills of Los Gatos? I don't live there but my kid lived in one & went to university in the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland