Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 05:56 AM

66 posts, read 201,522 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm considering a potential job at UC-Berkeley, and would have to live on junior faculty pittance salary (and support my spouse). I'm wondering where I could rent, in a safe neighborhood, and commute easily into campus (I don't drive). What is the minimum salary one would need to afford to rent/live in the Berkeley/Oakland/surrounding areas? How much are energy costs, travel costs, etc? What would be the average household-of-two expenses be like? I'd be moving from London, where it's the most expensive place on earth, so I'd like to think I'm not jumping from the fire into the frying pan, but perhaps off the stove altogether!
Also, my impression of SF area is the typical 'sunny cali' but was wondering if it does actually have a lot of sunny days. Does it get really cold and rainy though?
Thanks for all and any info you may have!
Happy New Year!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 04:22 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Check into Faculty Housing... Housing in the Bay Area and near campus is expensive.

Bay Area climate is really many micro climates. SF doesn't get as hot or cold as the rest of the Bay Area. The East Bay is also moderate... you will find more extreme temperatures once you go through the Caldecott Tunnel.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Check into Faculty Housing... Housing in the Bay Area and near campus is expensive.

Bay Area climate is really many micro climates. SF doesn't get as hot or cold as the rest of the Bay Area. The East Bay is also moderate... you will find more extreme temperatures once you go through the Caldecott Tunnel.

Thanks for the lead! Very helpful, although they charge $25/month to help anyone!
About the weather, I hadn't realized it would be several micro-climates, but I suppose it makes sense due to the mountains. What areas would you recommend for less fog/rain (i.e. more sun), and still affordable and commutable to the campus? Thanks for all your help!

Old 01-04-2008, 01:01 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,722,363 times
In the SF area, we have a rainy season from about late Nov to March with snow in the Sierra Nevada Mountains to the east. From April to Nov, there is no rain. The closer you live to the ocean, the more fog and wind you will find. About 10 miles inland (say Berkeley), there is more sunshine and a lot less wind and fog. About 30 miles inland, the weather is much warmer with very little fog. The hills in the SF area in some places do block the wind and fog from the ocean. If you don't like the weather in one place, just drive 10 miles away until you find something better you like.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:32 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,347,216 times
Central/North Oakland is a good area to look.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:48 PM

2 posts, read 14,337 times
I am pretty sure the bay has more sun than London...but it is also cold as far as the "typical" California climate is concerned. That said, the East Bay CAN be more affordable than SF, it just matters where you live.

Most likely Berkeley will pay you a living wage, although they are famous for underpaying everyone (it is the prestige of working there). Living costs are high as far as rent goes, but public transport isnt horrendous. East Bay buses run $1.75, if you live close, the BART shouldn't cost more than 1.40 each way. Many people bike here as a primary means of transportation, I do, and love it. 3.50 or so to take the BART into SF each way. Utilities depend on where you live. Many leases will require you to only pay power, and extras like internet and TV, while others will require you to pay city services like water and garbage as well.

Check out the housing section of Craigslist.com for prices on what you are looking for. It is what most people use these days.

As for warmth, I find Oakland to be warmer than Berkeley, and the East Bay is warmer than SF. The affordable parts of Oakland can be a little scary though, but I don't know how to compare them to London.

If safety and lower rents are something you are concerned about, try looking for housing in Albany or El Cerrito. They are a little colder for whatever reason, but are very residential and safe. EC has a bart stop, and both cities have buses that will get you to campus no prob.

Food is cheaper and better in california than London. If you do end up coming here, you will be very happy with all the local farmers markets where you can get great produce year round. If you eat out a lot, that costs a lot anywhere. Best of luck!

Old 01-06-2008, 02:28 AM

2 posts, read 9,970 times
Someone should tell the man that housing is going to cost him an arm and a leg (every month).

Old 01-06-2008, 03:02 AM

Thanks to everyone for all the great advice and comments! Really appreciate it! Little bits of info like this are very helpful indeed. I suppose compared to London anywhere else on earth is more affordable. But I don't want to have to scrape by forever in CA either! Berkeley is notorious for depressed salaries, which is ridiculous as you can't live on prestige alone, and a lot of upcoming/famous profs are leaving for other places that pay better. Hence my concern about how bad it really is.
Shame that renting in a safer/better area will be farther away, but it does make sense I guess. Are the buses very good and on time?
How's the storm you guys are getting now, is this a freak phenomenon or likely to happen each winter?

Old 01-06-2008, 12:50 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times
That storm wasn't too far from the norm. And as I write this, it's sunny and 50 degrees.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:19 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPOUSNRET View Post
Someone should tell the man that housing is going to cost him an arm and a leg (every month).
LOL that's the kind of honesty that keeps Chief Petty Officers from becoming officers!

Good on ya Chief!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland