Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 02:12 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Tolls aren't being collected to cross the bridge - except for a very few cyclists, perhaps. It's an admission charge to a park feature attraction.

I don't condone it. But it's no different than Sonoma or Mendocino or other counties charging for parking and day use of their facilities. While I think public parks should be mostly free - with exceptions for certain fees like camping where costs become very hard to manage - my point is that there's nothing unique about San Francisco charging in this regard.
Charging pedestrians and cyclists to cross a bridge is pretty unique and unheard of. I think the only place I read that does that is the international border bridge in El Paso. Even NYC with their ridiculous bridge tolls don't do this.

Existing tolls already cover maintenance and these tolls is to help pay for things not even that related to the bridge. So in that sense it's not really the same at all.

Last edited by sav858; 10-25-2014 at 02:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 02:13 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
San Fran. levies a tax for breathing. Homeless are exempt.

Old 10-25-2014, 02:28 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
What do all the following (and many other famous locations / features have in common?
Statue of Liberty.
Empire State Building.
St. Louis Gateway Arch.
The Golden Gate Bridge. (soon)
and, of course, let's not forget The Gates of Hell.

A price of admission.
Nothing new or unique.

Have fun. Add to the list.

Old 10-25-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
San Fran. levies a tax for breathing. Homeless are exempt.
Yeah? I'm sitting at the Marina Green right this minute by my boat. No one's collecting as far as I can see.

Old 10-25-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Charging pedestrians and cyclists to cross a bridge is pretty unique and unheard of. I think the only place I read that does that is the international border bridge in El Paso. Even NYC with their ridiculous bridge tolls don't do this.

Existing tolls already cover maintenance and these tolls is to help pay for things not even that related to the bridge. So in that sense it's not really the same at all.
As I wrote previously: it's not a crossing toll. It's an admissions fee to a world famous attraction. The pedestrians and cyclists aren't commuting.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
What do all the following (and many other famous locations / features have in common?
Statue of Liberty.
Empire State Building.
St. Louis Gateway Arch.
The Golden Gate Bridge. (soon)
and, of course, let's not forget The Gates of Hell.

A price of admission.
Nothing new or unique.

Have fun. Add to the list.
And how is one of them different from the rest?

Answer: One is public infrastructure and the rest are not.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
As I wrote previously: it's not a crossing toll. It's an admissions fee to a world famous attraction. The pedestrians and cyclists aren't commuting.
It's also public infrastructure as are other famous attractions that don't charge an "admission fee" (lol).

Old 10-26-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Yeah? I'm sitting at the Marina Green right this minute by my boat. No one's collecting as far as I can see.
Not yet..... Lol

Old 10-26-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
And how is one of them different from the rest?

Answer: One is public infrastructure and the rest are not.
Really not a distinction at all. The GG bridge is not a functional infrastructure for walkers and cyclists. It is for drivers. They commute. And they pay a toll for commuting the infrastructure. You're not suggesting that public infrastructures be free of tolls are you?

Pedestrians and cyclists are accessing the GG bridge as an attraction. Lots of public attractions charge for that. I'd prefer they didn't. But my point remains: there is nothing unique about SF going this route.

Quote:
It's also public infrastructure as are other famous attractions that don't charge an "admission fee" (lol).
Some do and some don't. The list I started above can be expanded. Nothing unique about SF in this regard.

Quote:
Not yet..... Lol

Old 10-26-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Really not a distinction at all. The GG bridge is not a functional infrastructure for walkers and cyclists. It is for drivers. They commute. And they pay a toll for commuting the infrastructure. You're not suggesting that public infrastructures be free of tolls are you?

Pedestrians and cyclists are accessing the GG bridge as an attraction. Lots of public attractions charge for that. I'd prefer they didn't. But my point remains: there is nothing unique about SF going this route.

Some do and some don't. The list I started above can be expanded. Nothing unique about SF in this regard.

It's a piece of public infrastructure that also happens to be an attraction as well, just as there are others out there like it. SF is deciding to start charging pedestrians and cyclists to use it, that is how SF is very unique in that regard. Nothing you listed would fall under public infrastructure btw. Also the fact that this toll would go to help paying for things not even directly related to the maintenance and costs of the bridge makes it an even more ridiculous "admission fee". If you want to try to spin it and pretend the GGB is Disneyland or the Space Needle go right ahead but I highly disagree.

Last edited by sav858; 10-26-2014 at 11:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland