Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 08:23 AM

93 posts, read 124,886 times

Advertisements

is it inevitable that the north bay will go the same route as the south bay in terms of development? I don't know the market in the bay area but I hear house values are exploding and there is no more room left except for the north bay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 09:16 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,785,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high density View Post
is it inevitable that the north bay will go the same route as the south bay in terms of development? I don't know the market in the bay area but I hear house values are exploding and there is no more room left except for the north bay.
Unlike the people running the South Bay in the 1950s and 1960's, who courted growth (San Jose's then city manager A.P. "Dutch" Hamann was especially famous for his boosterism), the people running Marin and Sonoma always have tried to hinder and even stop development:

Marincello - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A planned "Marincello" suburban city on the former Forts Barry, Baker and Chronkite Military Reservations, was blocked, as the best example of this.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:23 AM

372 posts, read 511,944 times
Marin has always been fiercely anti-development in general, so I wouldn't bet on it there. Sonoma is less that way in areas, but it is far from the major job centers which limits development appeal to some extent.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:12 AM

21,616 posts, read 16,138,730 times
Sonoma is brutal against development. Brutal. That Marin is worse is a wonderment. Thankfully to both! Please stay away!

Old 10-29-2014, 11:52 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,073,275 times
About 70% of the land area in Marin County is Public land (National Recreational Area, National Beach, Open Space district land, parks, etc.) so it can't be developed. This is a very unusual situation - a county immediately adjacent to a major city that has so much protected land - but it was done purposefully by residents. That doesn't mean there won't be some development there, but it will never be wall to wall houses.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:58 AM

18,965 posts, read 32,477,524 times
There really aren't any major job centers there nor is it that easy to get to any of the existing one's as it is. That along with anti-development policies will likely prevent the North Bay from developing too much like the South Bay. The exception would probably the the Fairfield/Vacaville area, they're very pro-growth and have the land but even then it's not that big of an area.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:09 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,545,546 times
The "North Bay" encompasses four counties, three of which are resolutely anti-growth (Napa, Sonoma, Marin) and one is more growth-friendly (Solano).

Next it's not clear what you mean by "go the same route in terms of development"... for one thing the building boom in Silicon Valley right now is mostly offices and R&D facilities. There is no sign that the tech sector is interested in relocating or spreading out to the North Bay in massive numbers. San Francisco, the Peninsula, East Bay, and even the Sacramento/Fosom/Davis area are all more likely to see tech employers moving in. So in that sense no the North Bay will not "go the same route" as the South Bay.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:22 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,093,176 times
The commute alone limits the development potential. There's no BART or Caltrain, so it's an absolute PITA commuting anywhere from the North Bay. There's a few Golden Gate Transit buses and the ferry, but they're slow, infrequent and with limited operating hours.

Even with a car it's a headache due to traffic, GG Bridge toll, etc. Probably the most ideal situation would be to have a car and commute from the North Bay to the East Bay on the 580.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:22 PM

21,616 posts, read 16,138,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
There really aren't any major job centers there nor is it that easy to get to any of the existing one's as it is. That along with anti-development policies will likely prevent the North Bay from developing too much like the South Bay. The exception would probably the the Fairfield/Vacaville area, they're very pro-growth and have the land but even then it's not that big of an area.
Unique as it may be, I agree with the assessment. I happen to be sitting in Fairfield as I type this. What a wonderfully zero place to be pro-growth. I will be leaving within the next 30 minutes. Alas, I will continue to pass through often as I have for many years in and out of the Delta enroute to the nicer regions of the north bay.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:26 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,741,222 times
There isn't much job growth there, unlike the South Bay which limits development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland