Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 11:18 PM

3 posts, read 4,538 times

Advertisements

I've recently received an offer in San Ramon and was wondering on places to live. I'm single and in my 20's. I would rather stay on the east side of the bay for commuting purposes but don't necessarily want to live in San Ramon. Is there a nice safe area that's not too terribly far that I could live that has a bay view? Ever since wanting to move to San Francisco I have always wanted a view of the bay or live near a park by the bridge. I have never been there and any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 01:28 PM

379 posts, read 785,438 times
Hi Sanfran77, it will help to have an idea of your monthly budget to give you suggestions.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:26 PM

I would like to be no higher than $1800 a month

Old 10-30-2014, 09:03 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Start out by living in San Ramon. It's safe and nice. Commuting is horrendous in the SF Bay Area. Believe all the posts you've read about it.

Then, once you're here, you can look for a job closer to areas that have views of the Bay.

You can check out Oakland and other areas with views. Figure out where you'd love to live, and look for a job close to that area.

But, really, commuting to/from anywhere with a view of the bay from San Ramon would be brutal.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:40 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Start out by living in San Ramon. It's safe and nice. Commuting is horrendous in the SF Bay Area. Believe all the posts you've read about it.

Then, once you're here, you can look for a job closer to areas that have views of the Bay.

You can check out Oakland and other areas with views. Figure out where you'd love to live, and look for a job close to that area.

But, really, commuting to/from anywhere with a view of the bay from San Ramon would be brutal.
No it isn't bad. It is a reverse commute. One of my friends has spent almost her whole career commuting from Oakland/Berkeley to various points on the 680 cooridor. It takes around 30 minutes. 580 east is quiet during the commute other than the last mile or 2 in Dublin.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:21 AM

You could look in Montclair and the area around Mills College in Oakland and the Berkeley Hills maybe as well (you'd probably be more likely to find something in Oakland). As Jade said it's about a 30 min drive to San Ramon.

Example apartment: Luxury Condo Style 1 bd *at top of hill w/view*

Old 10-31-2014, 05:43 AM

Thank you all for the responses! I've only heard horror stories about Oakland but I have also heard that there are nice areas as well. Can you be more specific as to which parts of Oakland are nice to live in?

Old 10-31-2014, 08:40 AM

23,513 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Rockridge, Grandlake in Oakland are nice. Pretty much, most of the areas in the hills will be fine. West Oakland and East Oakland would be the areas to stay away from.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:09 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanfran77 View Post
Thank you all for the responses! I've only heard horror stories about Oakland but I have also heard that there are nice areas as well. Can you be more specific as to which parts of Oakland are nice to live in?
Way overstated. You'll want to be a bit closer to 580 or 13 for an easy commute. Grand Lake, Piedmont Ave and Adams Point are perfect for someone your age.

These areas are safe. I feel fine walking around at night, walking home from the bus etc. I will say there are some streets that are a little quiet not well lit, so use some urban common sense. But there isn't a lot to worry about. Don't leave your iPad on your car seat.

Rockridge is out of budget and a little too family for your age group. Same with Montclair. Dimond is also out in my book. These are all nice areas but skew a bit older or single family homes.

Mills College area is more hit or miss. I wouldn't live over there because it feels both far and isn't all that safe. You need to drive everywhere over there.

If you don't care much about transit, you can usually find good deals around Park St/Glenview. Below the freeway is less safe than above generally but all within a few blocks of the freeway is pretty decent to awesome. It is a quick drive to the nightlife.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:57 AM

I suggested Montclair, Mills College, and Berkeley Hills because they're areas with hills and beautiful views. The Oakland Hills and the town Piedmont, nestled inside Oakland, also has great views if you can find an in-law unit in your budget. It's true that these areas tend to skew older than you and have limited public transportation.

The neighborhoods suggested by the previous posters are great for young single 20-somethings. They are flat areas and won't have the same views. Other areas to look into that fit this vein would be the Gourmet Ghetto and downtown areas in Berkeley (lots of Cal students and other young people). Maybe also downtown Walnut Creek, which would be the fastest commute to work and be a high-end feeling area with more families than somewhere like Grand Lake in Oakland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland