Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2014, 12:25 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times

Advertisements

Keeping the chains chained OUT.
Compromise reached on San Francisco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 10:12 PM

483 posts, read 842,368 times
I don't have much to say about this compromise, but I've come to a minor realization lately that many of the chain stores aren't really cheaper or more convenient.

A recent example. I stupidly knocked over the box fan that we often run at night and broke it. And this clumsiness coincided with the 2-3 day heatwave a month or so ago.

I tried to set up an in-store pickup at Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, Home Depot, and a few other big chains at about half a dozen locations. None of them had it in stock (online availability only), so seeing as how I can't handle temps >75, I figured I'd try the small mom 'n' pop hardware store on Irving near me.

Guess what? They had the exact same model in stock. Guess what, part two? It was $5 cheaper than the online prices of all their larger competitors! And the fellas at the store were as incredibly helpful and nice as I've gotten used to at this gem of a retailer.

I'm very glad to support high-quality local business in almost all situations.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:40 PM

629 posts, read 619,818 times
I thought this thread was going to be about increasing minimum wage to $50/hr. Go small business! Right out of the city...

Old 11-06-2014, 06:57 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rca215 View Post
I don't have much to say about this compromise, but I've come to a minor realization lately that many of the chain stores aren't really cheaper or more convenient.

A recent example. I stupidly knocked over the box fan that we often run at night and broke it. And this clumsiness coincided with the 2-3 day heatwave a month or so ago.

I tried to set up an in-store pickup at Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, Home Depot, and a few other big chains at about half a dozen locations. None of them had it in stock (online availability only), so seeing as how I can't handle temps >75, I figured I'd try the small mom 'n' pop hardware store on Irving near me.

Guess what? They had the exact same model in stock. Guess what, part two? It was $5 cheaper than the online prices of all their larger competitors! And the fellas at the store were as incredibly helpful and nice as I've gotten used to at this gem of a retailer.

I'm very glad to support high-quality local business in almost all situations.
Bravo! *applause*

Plus, ordering online you have the delivery/shipping fee, adding to the cost. And those big box places often don't have much in the way of customer svce, depending. Whereas at your neighborhood place, they not only have customer service par excellence, they've known you since you were a kid, or since you moved into the neighborhood. They're like your friends.

Great thread!

Old 11-06-2014, 08:03 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Bravo! *applause*

Plus, ordering online you have the delivery/shipping fee, adding to the cost. And those big box places often don't have much in the way of customer svce, depending. Whereas at your neighborhood place, they not only have customer service par excellence, they've known you since you were a kid, or since you moved into the neighborhood. They're like your friends.

Great thread!
Um yeah, and glad you can appreciate the news. But this thread won't go far in discussions. It's about a positive. And about protecting the character of the world's greatest city from the cheap ravages of perpetual development that enriches the already wealthy further. We can't have that. We need to have Moar! of everything. QoL be damned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland