Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 06:51 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
I guess those cool cablecar brakemen live in Oakland?
I don't know... but, I agree they are pretty cool... my cousin and her family were out for their first SF visit and her 3 year old is fascinated by cable cars... the conductor picked him up and let him ring the bell and we've got the picture...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 07:29 PM

21,737 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
One of the comments in the comment area of that article...

"Working class people don't live in SF. Working class people can barely afford to live in the Bay Area, period. That's what's so amusing about the perception of SF. The rest of the world buys into the idea that it's some liberal, hippie mecca, but the reality is that SF is a corporate, white collar bastion of self serving A Holes that spit in the face of the working class."

LOL that about sums it up.
Umm, yeah. Except no. It doesn't.

Hard to see from "Flo-Ridah", but more than half the people in San Francisco have lived / are still living at reasonable rents under Prop.13 / rent control.
Examples:
1) friend since the 60's has lived the past 25 or so years in a pleasant lower Pacific Heights 1-bedroom. Now paying roughly $700 a month. He's a self employed house painter with van full of tools and a ladder on top.

2) another friend since the 60's is a retired public school teacher /principal who bought her first house in the City in the late 70's and has moved about three times by leveraging. Home's been paid off on her teacher's salary. She was a single income household with one son. No husband to share the mortgage. Taxes are controlled thanks to Pro.13.

A cop I know lives in a 3-bedroom overlooking Fisherman's Wharf. Married, raised two kids there. Rent's about $1200 a month I think he said. He was born and raised in the same apartment.

They're all happy as clams with where they live. Two of the three are still working for years to come yet.

There's many years yet of average income earners living affordably in San Francisco.

I live here for under $300 a month myself.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:54 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I don't know... but, I agree they are pretty cool... my cousin and her family were out for their first SF visit and her 3 year old is fascinated by cable cars... the conductor picked him up and let him ring the bell and we've got the picture...
And this is one reason they're so cool! They help define the character of the city.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:00 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
This is such a cool little thread!

Take a gander at some more earthquake cottages in SF:

https://www.google.com/search?q=San+...IDYAg#imgdii=_

Old 11-07-2014, 09:11 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
One of the comments in the comment area of that article...

"Working class people don't live in SF. Working class people can barely afford to live in the Bay Area, period. That's what's so amusing about the perception of SF. The rest of the world buys into the idea that it's some liberal, hippie mecca, but the reality is that SF is a corporate, white collar bastion of self serving A Holes that spit in the face of the working class."

LOL that about sums it up.
That comment is inaccurate, though. The reality is somewhere in the middle.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
I guess those cool cablecar brakemen live in Oakland?
We call them grip men, by the way. There's also a conductor onboard.

I don't know if they all live in Oakland. I do believe that Muni workers are reported to be the highest paid public transportation workers in the country. Plus, cable car operators are the highest tier of Muni operators.

I fist-bump my usual cable car grip man every evening. We talk about the Giants and what movies are filming along the route. He's cool. He lives in the Fillmore.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:20 PM

Here's one from that link, that sold for over 1 million $$, after a lot of work. It looks like they raised it up so there's a 2nd floor accessed from the yard in back.

Former earthquake shack gets a million-dollar makeover - On The Block

Old 11-07-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
We call them grip men, by the way. There's also a conductor onboard.

I don't know if they all live in Oakland. I do believe that Muni workers are reported to be the highest paid public transportation workers in the country. Plus, cable car operators are the highest tier of Muni operators.

I fist-bump my usual cable car grip man every evening. We talk about the Giants and what movies are filming along the route. He's cool. He lives in the Fillmore.
Is SF still a center for the film industry? I thought that activity died down around the late 20th Century.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Exactly. Probably limited as to how many alterations to the exterior are allowed, like: size or number of windows, raising the roof, that sort of thing. But perfect for someone's little slice of SF when they need it.
Commenting that it will be someone's pied a terre, I was implying that the place wouldn't necessarily be for someone to have a "slice of San Francisco," but rather for someone from the suburbs to get a "piece" in San Francisco from time to time.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:28 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Commenting that it will be someone's pied a terre, I was implying that the place wouldn't necessarily be for someone to have a "slice of San Francisco," but rather for someone from the suburbs to get a "piece" in San Francisco from time to time.
That's exactly what I mean, too. I said it would make a great pied-a-terre for someone back on pg. 2.

That million dollar one Newbie posted is extremely cool! In Bernal Heights. They say there are several in Bernal Heights.

Spend enough money, and you can turn a shack into a high-end home. The mill $$ one is actually two original shacks combined.

I'm LOVING this topic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland