Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2014, 01:48 PM

8 posts, read 11,339 times

Advertisements

Thinking about buying a house in Tracy or Mountain House. Wanting to know how long commute is on ACE train and if it is generally a good way to commute.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 02:45 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Commute to where?

Old 11-19-2014, 04:06 PM

8 posts, read 11,339 times
Oh, duh! Pleasanton.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:17 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,551,908 times
Well the train schedules are the ACE website but the total amount of time for your commute would depend on where exactly your residence and job would be, relative to the ACE train station. I think the actual train time between those points is 40 minutes but the other bits and pieces of the commute could add up to another half hour, or more. The first thing you'll need to check is whether your job in Pleasanton is within walking distance of the train station, and if not, if there is a shuttle and how long it takes. Are you a bike rider? ACE has good bike accommodations and that could make the first/last miles a lot easier.

As to your question, "is ACE generally a good way to commute," my answer is a definite yes, as compared to the alternative of sitting in stop-and-go traffic wearing down your car and your sanity. The only caveats, which are pretty big, are if you live/work close enough to the train stations to make it reasonable (see above) and if you have a fairly predictable work schedule. ACE only runs roughly hourly, four times inbound in the morning and four times outbound in the afternoon, so if stuff comes up at work that keeps you late it could be a problem.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:06 PM

243 posts, read 628,967 times
I drive the Altamont Pass every week - so I can say with confidence it will take you 45 minutes to an hour to get from Tracy to the Dublin/Pleasanton Bart (not West Dublin). I leave at 6 AM and arrive at Bart at ~7:00. I have left after 7:30 before and the commute is usually closer to 30 minutes. Living in Mt. House puts you 3-5 mins closer depending on how quickly you can get on the freeway. I'd just drive it every day and not have to deal with the train - unless you get a place near the train station and you work near the train station, then it may be a better option.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:05 AM

7 posts, read 21,358 times
Don't live in Mountain House! Commuting a bit is an understatement... It takes my brother 1 hour to drive from Livermore to Mountain House and the commute is like this from about 6:30- 9:00am and from 2:30pm-6:30pm at night. It also takes him 1 hour to get to work. It would take over an hour each way to get to Dublin/ Pleasanton- thats 2 hours a day just in driving plus an 8 hour work day= no time to rest, no time for family, etc. Also, Mountain house is ghetto! You couldn't pay me to live there as it is just not safe for women and families. My brother lives in Mountain House and is desperate to move out because he has a family. They got an alarm system and dont go anywhere at night. Maybe if you are a single man and get an alarm system. But other than that NO WAY!!

Old 12-15-2014, 06:41 PM

243 posts, read 628,967 times
Not sure what makes Mountain House ghetto. Compared to pretty much anywhere else in the area it has an average or better crime rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland