Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 07:35 AM

4 posts, read 6,825 times

Advertisements

i absolutely fell in love with California in 2012 my bf and I stayed in San Francisco for a week, but it's so expensive to live in city, we made another trip back but we're in San Rafael and just loved it. I seriously seriously want to move there as soon as yesterday lol but I know that's impossible, so now I am trying to pave my way into Cali. I currently work for a chicago law firm as an Office Assistant, I've been with the firm for 10 years and find that there is no room for advancement there. I am willing to do whatever it takes to make a decent living in San Rafael/San Francisco wether it be cleaning rooms, cashier, working at a gas station I mean whatever it takes. The firm I work for has a San Francisco office but every time I talk to managing partner at my firm I kinda get the runaround, which is why I need to be 3 steps ahead of the game. If anyone out there knows of any jobs or transitional housing PLEASE PLEASE let me know. I'd gladly pay it forward with any help I receive. I can be a personal assistant, care taker, nanny, housekeeper or work an office job. I hope someone out there can help. I'm dying a slow death living in chicago. I want
To be happy.

Thanks for reading!
God bless and God speed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 08:21 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
I don't think you can support yourself in either San Francisco or San Rafael working at any of the professions you mentioned, maybe you could find something as a live in nanny but IDK how well that would go over with the boyfriend and I doubt if it is something you would want to pursue as a career. Housing prices in almost all of the SF bay area have been pushed out of the range of most people who don't make well over 100k a year. You might do better to look in Contra Costa or Solano County and just visit SF and San Rafael- or even consider Sacramento.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:35 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,329,578 times
OP I came to California just like you years ago. I was a secretary, made a pittance, but I was able to afford living in Marin. I understand your love of the area. And of all the cities in Marin, San Rafael is my favorite.

You won't have trouble finding work. Definitely, you will need to share housing. Until I met my husband and we moved in together, I had roommates. You can't afford a place of your own, but if you don't know anyone out here, it's a great way to meet people. Some of my old roommates are still my best friends thirty years later. (Okay, I've got a couple horror stories too, LOL).

I had to come down here and stay with a friend until I found employment. You have the luxury of the internet, and should be able to find a room to rent and a job from a distance, I'd think. I wish you good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland