U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 11:05 AM

1,587 posts, read 808,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
One thing LA DOES have the Bay Area is quality Korean food. Much, much better down there than up here.
I agree with you. I had some really good quality food in Ktown

Old 01-30-2015, 11:50 AM

9,701 posts, read 7,242,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
As far as being a gathering place for 18 Million people, sure, and the most prominent US gateway to Asia and the trade that entails, sure, and Hollywood is also very important.

SF is WAYYYYYY more important than LA in 2 ways that really give it an insurmountable edge over LA-tech and finance. Those 2 industries not being as concentrated in LA as they are in SF is what's holding LA back.
Obviously you're right about tech, but SF is not a major financial center, at all.

And what is your point? Just because SF has a less diverse economy, doesn't mean it's a more important city. Just because it has one industry it dominates, doesn't mean it's a more important city. Detroit dominates the auto industry globally, doesn't mean Detroit is more important than LA or SF.
Quote:
50 Most Valuable Publically Traded Corporations in the US Jan 29, 2015 Market Capitalization
And this is about the dumbest way to compare relative importance. Why would a city's relative importance be judged by point-in-time stock trading, especially when some industries tend to go public and others don't, and when the HQ location has often nothing to do with where the company has its biggest presence?

Was Detroit the most important city on earth when General Motors was the most valuable company by stock trading for a half-century? Completely nonsensical.

And then 90% of the companies on your list aren't even in the SF but the SJ metro. So if this is truly your argument, then you would have to argue that SJ is the most important city in CA.
Quote:
Los Angeles CSA(Pop 18 Million) $999 Billion
Bay Area CSA(Pop 8 Million)$667 Billion
First, you're using nonsense criteria by combining metros here. But, even then, the data proves that LA is vastly richer than SF. Even if you added the entire Seattle metro to SF, you would not reach LA's economic might.

And median income is a nonsense comparison. LA and NYC and Miami are the gateway cities for immigration in the U.S., so will get more poor immigrants. But that doesn't make them less important than a place that gets less immigration. By median income, Bridgeport, CT is the richest metro in the U.S. So is Bridgeport, CT now the most important city in the U.S.?
Quote:
Not to mention, more affluent, more cosmopolitan, and SF thrashes LA as far as downtowns go.
There is far more wealth in LA, and LA is far more cosmopolitan. SF leans VERY heavily towards hippies and techies. Yes, SF has a far better downtown than LA. So what? Budapest has a far better core than SF; are we now claiming that Budapest>SF because it has a better downtown?

Old 01-30-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirclingLogan View Post
Yeah, I mean, I suppose this is true. Sorta in the way Mexico City and Jakarta are. But who wants to live there?
Mexico City and Jakarta are poor third world cities, so no. LA is a rich first world city and has far more wealth than SF. There is nothing in SF comparable to, say, Corona del Mar, or Holmby Hills, in terms of desirability. Even Pacific Heights is cheap compared to those places.
Quote:
Although, really, as 18Montclair points out, the Bay Area has a far more impressive economy.
Point-in-time economic stats do not determine relative importance. Houston isn't more important than Paris if it has a higher median income or lower unemployment rate or higher market cap of public companies. And LA has a far larger and more diverse economy anyways, as Montclair showed.
Quote:
Silicon Valley/SF is literally the envy of the world.
I think you need to travel. No one outside of CA even knows where Silicon Valley is in relation to SF, or cares. They know it's somewhere in CA, but no clue where.

SF is considered a nice tourist town, best known for hills, Alcatraz, cable cars, and the Golden Gate.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSmurf View Post
I was the one that made the post about the Authentic Asian food. Who said anything about just Chinese food? Does Asian food only mean Chinese to you? No one said LA doesn't have any authentic Chinese food. It was said that LA doesn't have a majority authentic Asian food. You know this is not a secret that is hidden from people. You can walk into an Asian restaurant and ask them.
People of Chinese descent are almost half of Asia, so obviously Chinese food is a huge component of "Asian food".

LA has a vastly larger Asian population and vastly more Asian immigration than the SF, so it would be extremely difficult to argue that a place with far greater population and immigration from a specific region would have far worse food from that region. That makes no sense whatsoever. It would be like arguing that Phoenix has better Asian food than SF.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
People of Chinese descent are almost half of Asia, so obviously Chinese food is a huge component of "Asian food".

LA has a vastly larger Asian population and vastly more Asian immigration than the SF, so it would be extremely difficult to argue that a place with far greater population and immigration from a specific region would have far worse food from that region. That makes no sense whatsoever. It would be like arguing that Phoenix has better Asian food than SF.
What does the population of Chinese descent in Asia have to do with what we were talking about?
Also what does the population of Asian immigration have to do with it? I also never compared it to SF and never said anything about worst food. Why is it that you like add things that no one said? What doesn't make any sense is how no one said LA nor Sf had better Asian food. Again it was said that LA doesn't have a majority Authentic Asian food. If you are going to argue something at least stick to what was actually said. Large population of Asians doesn't automatically mean large amount of Authentic restaurant. The entire purpose of changing food is to cater to the taste buds of Americans just like companies do when they move a restaurant to another country. Again all you need to do is walk into an Asian restaurant and simply ask because it is not some hidden secret

Since you bought up the population of Chinese descent see below

San Francisco, California 19.6% (152,620)
Oakland, California 8.0% (31,834)
San Jose, California 5.7% (51,109)
Sacramento, California 4.8% (19,425)
San Diego, California 2.3% (27,684)
Los Angeles, California 1.7% (63,075)
Fremont, California 14.4% (29,240)
Daly City, California 13.6%
Irvine, California 10.5%
Sunnyvale, California 9.56% (12,597)
Berkeley, California 7.4% (7,585)

Last edited by Devon011; 01-30-2015 at 12:20 PM..

Old 01-30-2015, 12:20 PM

852 posts, read 1,558,757 times
10 pages of replies to a first time posting troll.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSmurf View Post
What does the population of Chinese descent in Asia have to do with what we were talking about?
Because you claimed that LA has crap Asian food, when LA has the biggest Chinese population outside of Asia. LA along with NYC are the Asian immigration centers, not SF. It would be extremely difficult to argue that LA has crap Asian food when it has millions of Asians, most who immigrated relatively recently. Somewhere like SGV for Chinese is about as authentic as you can get outside of Asia.

And your "people of Chinese descent" list is simply made up. You just lied there, or you linked to some false source? LA has a much, much bigger Chinese population than SF. NYC and LA are the Chinese immigrant centers in the U.S. Even by city limits only (which makes no sense), your numbers are completely false.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Because you claimed that LA has crap Asian food, when LA has the biggest Chinese population outside of Asia. LA along with NYC are the Asian immigration centers, not SF. It would be extremely difficult to argue that LA has crap Asian food when it has millions of Asians, most who immigrated relatively recently. Somewhere like SGV for Chinese is about as authentic as you can get outside of Asia.
See there you go again making up things I never said. Please show me where I said LA has crappy Asian food. I clearly said LA doesn't have a majority of authentic Asian food which is completely different from you claiming I said LA had crappy Asian food. Again who is comparing LA to SF when it comes to authentic Asian food? Seems to be only you . Also since you brought up Chinese Americans to this conversation then you should know SF has a larger Chinese population than LA City. At least get your facts right and stop making up things I never said.

Last edited by Devon011; 01-30-2015 at 12:41 PM..

Old 01-30-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:

And your "people of Chinese descent" list is simply made up. You just lied there, or you linked to some false source? LA has a much, much bigger Chinese population than SF. NYC and LA are the Chinese immigrant centers in the U.S. Even by city limits only (which makes no sense), your numbers are completely false.
First I don't need to lie about something I never brought up in the first place. It was you that brought up Chinese population from the start. No, I don't need to make up a list. Since you said SF (not Bay Area) and said LA (not LA County) then my facts are correct.

Chinese Americans in California - Research - Chinese Advertising Agencies, Inc.

Tell me again how I so called lied
I guess you will say that a site that deals with nothing but Chinese demographics is fake right

Last edited by Devon011; 01-30-2015 at 01:06 PM..

Old 01-30-2015, 12:56 PM

32,322 posts, read 55,131,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101
Obviously you're right about tech, but SF is
not a major financial center, at all.
Hahaha it must be freezing in SFs shadow.

World's Absolute Financial Centres
1 New York 5,789
2 London 3,120
3 San Francisco 2,197
4 Chicago 2,007
5 Boston 1,561
6 Sydney 1,217
7 Washington DC 1,218
8 Toronto 1,184
9 Paris 1,105
10 Melbourne 831
11 Amsterdam 804
12 Mumbai 662
13 Hong Kong 647
14 Singapore 647
15 Sao Paulo 514
16 Madrid 473
17 Zurich 457
18 Milan 452
19 Johannesburg 447
20 Vancouver 367

GAWC ranking of absolute financial
centers divided the industry into sub
sectors:

Financial Services
1 New York
2 London
3 Chicago
4 San Francisco
5 Sydney

Banking
1 New York
2 Chicago
3 Boston
4 Washington DC
5 London

Investment Banking
1 New York
2 London
3 San Francisco
4 Chicago
5 Paris

Investment Management
1 New York
2 London
3 San Francisco
4 Chicago
5 Boston

Capital Markets
1 New York
2 London
3 Chicago
4 Mumbai
5 Toronto

Venture Capital & Private Equity
1 San Francisco
2 New York
3 London
4 Boston
5 Paris

GaWC Research Bulletin 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101
There is far more wealth in LA
FLAT OUT INCORRECT

Residents With a Net Worth of $30 Million+,

New York 8,655
London 6,815
Tokyo 6,185
San Francisco 5,460
Los Angeles 5,135
Osaka 3,405
Paris 3,345
Hong Kong 3,335
Chicago 2,885
Mexico City 2,780
Washington DC 2,730
Houston 2,545
Mumbai 2,440
Beijing 2,415
Dallas 2,330
Delhi 2,130
Zurich 2,055
Toronto 1,940
São Paulo 1,885
Rio de Janeiro 1,810
Munich 1,805
Dusseldorf 1,540
Shanghai 1,535
Geneva 1,525
Hamburg 1,480
Sydney 1,470
Singapore 1,395
Rome 1,340
Madrid 1,315
Melbourne 1,240
Atlanta 1,230
Stuttgart 1,220
Shenzhen 1,180
Seattle 1,095
Seoul 1,095

http://www.wealthx.com/wxsamlauth/sa...hreport.com%2F

Quote:
and LA is far more cosmopolitan.
No dear, the Bay Area is actually more diverse.

http://www.s4.brown.edu/us2010/Data/...rt08292012.pdf

in fact, 12 of the 25 most diverse cities are in
Northern CA
1 Suisun City, CA
2 Vallejo, CA
3 Rodeo, CA
4 Florin, CA
5 Oakland, CA
8 Fairview, CA
9 Fairfield, CA
13 Sacramento, CA
18 Pinole, CA
21 Fruitridge-Pocket, CA
22 San Leandro, CA
25 Elk Grove, CA

Quote:
SF leans VERY heavily towards hippies and techies.
Then is it fair to then say that LA leans "VERY" heavily towards broke aspiring artists/ actors and underskilled Mexicans?

See how the tables can be turned against you when you throw blanket generalizations and stereotypes? Learn and Grow.

Quote:
. So what?
Budapest has a far better core than SF; are
we now claiming that Budapest>SF because
it has a better downtown?
WRONG. San Francisco CRUSHES Budapest as far as shopping, dining, entertainment amenities and job opportunities(not even close)

Yawns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland