Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 11:25 PM

102,125 posts, read 107,362,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Hahaha I was just going to reply with "And I'm fine with that". You beat me to it.
Our weather is better than Boston's and Toronto's, too.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:31 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,286,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
And that's fine with SF-ers and Bay Area-ites.

And how long do you think LA would last without water?
About as long as any city would last without water?

My point is that people in this thread don't seem to be fine with such a characterization. We had posters comparing SF to Paris (!), another claiming that LA had no authentic Chinese food (yes, LA, with possibly the biggest and most diverse Chinese population on earth outside of Asia, apparently doesn't have Chinese food, as if the SGV lacks for anything Chinese), and many claiming that the best and brightest all go to SF.

None of this is really accurate, at least from an outsiders view. LA is a bigger draw and a significantly more important city overall, even if SF is a draw in its own right.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Our weather is better than Boston's and Toronto's, too.
And the weather in Tijuana is much better than that of SF. What does this have to do with the relative merits of a city? If you're picking a city exclusively on weather SF would be like the last city to be considered in the Bay Area.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:34 AM

102,125 posts, read 107,362,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
And the weather in Tijuana is much better than that of SF. What does this have to do with the relative merits of a city? If you're picking a city exclusively on weather SF would be like the last city to be considered in the Bay Area.
Weather has a lot to do with the relative merits of a city. And I wouldn't say the weather in Tijuana is much better than that of SF, at all! I wouldn't want to live that far south. If I could handle the weather there, I'd live in San Diego. No thanks. And who said I was picking a city exclusively on weather?

Old 01-30-2015, 12:51 AM

36,643 posts, read 67,318,399 times
Quote:
From an outsiders perspective, while LA and SF are both world class cities, LA is one of the most important cities on the planet, and SF is not.
As far as being a gathering place for 18 Million people, sure, and the most prominent US gateway to Asia and the trade that entails, sure, and Hollywood is also very important.

But:

SF is WAYYYYYY more important than LA in 2 ways that really give it an insurmountable edge over LA-tech and finance. Those 2 industries not being as concentrated in LA as they are in SF is what's holding LA back.

Quote:
LA is massive
50 Most Valuable Publically Traded Corporations in the US Jan 29, 2015 Market Capitalization

Bay Area
1 Apple $692.8 Billion
4 Google $348.2 Billion
8 Wells Fargo $272.8 Billion
13 Facebook $217.5 Billion
19 Chevron $194.7 Billion
21 Oracle $188.2 Billion
25 Intel $163.1 Billion
28 Gilead Science $157.2 Billion
29 Visa $155.8 Billion
35 Cisco $139.2 Billion

Los Angeles Area
27 Walt Disney $158.1 Billion
41 Amgen $119.0 Billion

Largest Companies by Market Cap - Dogs of the Dow

Quote:
with a much bigger and more diverse economy,
2013 Economy
Los Angeles CSA(Pop 18 Million) $999 Billion
Bay Area CSA(Pop 8 Million)$667 Billion

Per Capita
Bay Area CSA $83,300
Los Angeles CSA $55,500

The Bay Area is much more impressive economically.

Quote:
population diversity, a huge cultural capital, and is one of the most iconic and vibrant places anywhere.
Haha I agree but SF also is all of the above-period.

Not to mention, more affluent, more cosmopolitan, and SF thrashes LA as far as downtowns go.

So really why would SF have an inferiority complex? As if.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:43 AM

339 posts, read 514,775 times
Quote:
From an outsiders perspective, while LA and SF are both world class cities, LA is one of the most important cities on the planet, and SF is not.

LA is massive, with a much bigger and more diverse economy, incredible population diversity, a huge cultural capital, and is one of the most iconic and vibrant places anywhere
Yeah, I mean, I suppose this is true. Sorta in the way Mexico City and Jakarta are. But who wants to live there?

Although, really, as 18Montclair points out, the Bay Area has a far more impressive economy. Silicon Valley/SF is literally the envy of the world. No one gives a **** about who's making the next Spider-Man reboot.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:14 AM

1,587 posts, read 1,011,035 times
Quote:
About as long as any city would last without water?

My point is that people in this thread don't seem to be fine with such a characterization. We had posters comparing SF to Paris (!), another claiming that LA had no authentic Chinese food (yes, LA, with possibly the biggest and most diverse Chinese population on earth outside of Asia, apparently doesn't have Chinese food, as if the SGV lacks for anything Chinese), and many claiming that the best and brightest all go to SF.

None of this is really accurate, at least from an outsiders view. LA is a bigger draw and a significantly more important city overall, even if SF is a draw in its own right.
I was the one that made the post about the Authentic Asian food. Who said anything about just Chinese food? Does Asian food only mean Chinese to you? No one said LA doesn't have any authentic Chinese food. It was said that LA doesn't have a majority authentic Asian food. You know this is not a secret that is hidden from people. You can walk into an Asian restaurant and ask them.

Last edited by Devon011; 01-30-2015 at 02:48 AM..

Old 01-30-2015, 04:03 AM

117 posts, read 154,524 times
I'm a San Francisco native and I only think about LA when I want to roadtrip there. Love to visit there but, would never live there due to the sprawl and inferior downtown compared to SF, I need the urban life.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Weather has a lot to do with the relative merits of a city. And I wouldn't say the weather in Tijuana is much better than that of SF, at all! I wouldn't want to live that far south. If I could handle the weather there, I'd live in San Diego. No thanks. And who said I was picking a city exclusively on weather?
Tijuana has the exact same weather as San Diego.

And you were the one who brought up weather in the conversation, as if it's some critical aspect of the relative importance of a city (which is what we're discussing). SF, for West Coast standards, is not known for perfect weather, at all, like a San Diego.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:01 AM

6,409 posts, read 8,250,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSmurf View Post
I was the one that made the post about the Authentic Asian food. Who said anything about just Chinese food? Does Asian food only mean Chinese to you? No one said LA doesn't have any authentic Chinese food. It was said that LA doesn't have a majority authentic Asian food. You know this is not a secret that is hidden from people. You can walk into an Asian restaurant and ask them.
One thing LA DOES have the Bay Area is quality Korean food. Much, much better down there than up here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland