U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 06:59 PM

1 posts, read 24,378 times

Advertisements

We are having sticker shock over our winter PG&E bill. I wanted to see if this was average or comparable to other homeowners...We are in Sonoma, CA

For our 2000SF house, 3 bed/2 bath--2 adults, 1 child we got hit with a $400 Electricity bill and $120 gas (which seems ok to me for Dec).
it is the $400 electricity that we are gasping over. Is this normal

Some key points:
~We have CFLs in many of our lighting fixtures
~We have a gas dryer, gas stove, gas heater (But forced air)
~We have a gas tankless water heater
~our Dec bill from a year ago was $200 less...hmmmm
~We have one computer, one LCD TV inside, no gamers

Why on earth would our electric bill be $400 for one month?? Basically Nov and Dec shot up. I have done all the PGE analysis reports and they were at a loss to explain such a sudden increase. I am just curious as to what other folks --with similar lifestyles-- are paying on average for an electric bill.

Any thoughts about what lifestlye things could affect us? We have taken our outdoor Fridge offline now for 6 months, our well pump is off for the winter, and we (perhaps erroneously) think of ourselves as average electricity users.

Thank you for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 07:35 PM

804 posts, read 1,270,402 times
Wow. That must have been a shock…and our coldest months haven't come up yet. Our highest bill for the year is always the January/February one. We are on the peninsula in Millbrae. Our home is 1400sq, 3br/2ba – 1 adult, two 13-year old kids.

For Nov/Dec - Gas = $96, electric = $153.

We have a gas dryer (do a minimum of 1 load of laundry per day, sometimes 2), gas stove, gas heater (forced air), gas water heater.

4 computers (3 used a LOT), no gamers. Regular old tv’s.

Our bill this year was about $70 more than a year ago.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:20 PM

14,220 posts, read 26,484,274 times
It's possible it was a misread... It happens. It could have been the last reading or the reading prior if it was very low.

Sometimes PGE will estimate a bill.

Your best bet is to check the meter yourself and see exactly how many Kw you used vs how much you are being billed for.

If the bill matches your usage then you need to determine where the power is going. One electric portable heater can easily cost $2 to $3 per day... that's $40 to $60 per month.

I had a tenant's complain about an exorbitant bills. Often the mistake is on PGE. One time it was the tenants new 150 gallon salt water aquarium and another time the kids maxed the thermostat while the family went to LA for the Holidays.

If everything checks out and you were in a multi-unit building, I would guess someone has tapped into your line.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:01 PM

6,196 posts, read 11,651,744 times
I think PG&E will come out and investigate if you're at a loss to explain a jump like that.

Around here it would mean your well has a leak and is running all the time.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:24 AM

1 posts, read 24,167 times
Default I just got my January bill $1000!

I just moved into a STUDIO, and I was charged $13 for electricity and $923 for gas. This PGE bill is about as much as my rent. I'm convinced its a mistake but PGE hasn't been a big help. This being my first month in a new place I made it a point, to conserve my gas and electricity. Remember this is a studio, I don't know how a place this small could even begin to generate a bill that large. There's no gas leak that I'm aware of, I would have smelled it by now if there was. Anyway I'm going to talk to my landlord and I've already setup a case regarding the charge. I'm definetly going to contest it.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:11 AM

6,881 posts, read 17,050,066 times
Check your meter against the bill, as has been suggested. That sounds like a mistake.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:01 PM

14,220 posts, read 26,484,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3neo4 View Post
I just moved into a STUDIO, and I was charged $13 for electricity and $923 for gas. This PGE bill is about as much as my rent. I'm convinced its a mistake but PGE hasn't been a big help. This being my first month in a new place I made it a point, to conserve my gas and electricity. Remember this is a studio, I don't know how a place this small could even begin to generate a bill that large. There's no gas leak that I'm aware of, I would have smelled it by now if there was. Anyway I'm going to talk to my landlord and I've already setup a case regarding the charge. I'm definetly going to contest it.

Sounds like they might have put the "House" service in your name???

Old 02-01-2008, 06:09 PM

2,226 posts, read 5,817,291 times
I had some crazy electric bills once and the AC unit outside was stuck in the on position (a wasp built a nest on the clip that opens when it's running and blocked it from closing to turn off). Since the AC turned off indoors, it took me 2 months to figure out what was going on.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:11 PM

24,832 posts, read 28,827,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3neo4 View Post
I certainly hope so!!!! I live in a 3-bedroom HOUSE, and we've never had a bill that was higher than $85/month. So there has most definitely been a mistake, and I hope you get that money back asap. Yikes!

Old 02-01-2008, 06:13 PM

24,832 posts, read 28,827,529 times
Looking at what the rest of you have paid, my roommates & I must be very conscientious about our gas & electricity usage... I think we're also hot-blooded people or something, because we really don't use the heater too much. Wow, I'm surprised at how low ours has been!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland