Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2015, 08:35 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,014,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Total take home pay for a rookie is 44k:

Salary for a Rookie Cop in the NYPD | Chron.com

Official NYC page, starting salary $34,970 (under "what are the benefits"):

NYPD - Frequently Asked Questions
Again all you posted was what the starting salary was which I already said pages ago. You seem to not understand what a base salary and what you actually make at the end of the year. Fresh rookie on the street will bring up at min 50k. How do I know? I am former NYPD right up to a year ago

Quote:
Median home price in Queens is about 500k.

Queens, NY average and median listing prices - Trulia.com

I don't think anyone is buying their own home as a rookie cop in NYC. Live in their own room in an apartment, yes. Possibly rent their own apartment, yes. Buy a house, no.
Houses in Queens and Brooklyn are much cheaper than 500k. So yes some officers rent apartments and others own homes. I'm not sure why you think it's so high in those areas.

http://www.trulia.com/property/31548...oklyn-NY-11236
http://www.trulia.com/property/30984...oklyn-NY-11203
http://www.trulia.com/property/31886...ueens-NY-11412

Quote:
Uh, we're paid in the US Military.
Paid volunteer

Quote:
I made $1800/month when I got out in 2003 as an E-4. That's base pay, submarine pay, and sea pay together. When I started boot camp as an E-1 in 1999 I was getting about $600/month.

With inflation, military pay has gone up a little since 2003. Here is the current pay chart from DFAS:

http://www.dfas.mil/dam/jcr:b6ef41d4...PayChart_2.pdf
My salary was 2800

Quote:
"All volunteer military" just means there is no draft.

In this context "I was a volunteer" means " I joined voluntarily", not "I worked without pay".
You volunteer'd for service fully knowing what it entailed.

Quote:
And you're really making my point for me. By your own logic, police and other government servants should be paid less, so people who join will be doing it to serve. As opposed to San Jose PD where the starting salary is 80k.
You still don't get it. The entire point I made to you is you don't seem to get the logic that military service is the complete opposite from a civil service job. If you don't understand the difference between a civil service job and joining the military then what more can I tell you. You keep trying to compare military which gives you everything you need for free to a police department that only gives you a job

Quote:
ok, name other perks you get on active duty that you don't get it in the NYPD or SJPD.

Both the police and the military are serving their country and should not expect a high salary or the ability to buy a home in an expensive area.
Free education, Free housing, World travel, Free Job training, Ability for your application to be put on top of other people that didn't serve in the military. Those are just a few and no civil service job offers anything close to that. Police officers is serving the community he/she was hired. If you wanted more money in the military pick better options or go the officer route. Everyone knows this. Again you sound just bitter

Old 02-15-2015, 08:48 PM

102,198 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Uh, we're paid in the US Military.
It's a volunteer army, it's not a job. The pay is minimal compensation, kind of like when a high-level expert gets a modest honorarium for speaking to a civic group. It's not pay based on what the individual's time and expertise are really worth. You can't compare it to a salary. That's not what it is.

I can't believe y'all are still fighting over this silly stuff. The army isn't a job. It's volunteer service to one's country, and to some extent--vocational training, depending.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's a volunteer army, it's not a job. The pay is minimal compensation, kind of like when a high-level expert gets a modest honorarium for speaking to a civic group. It's not pay based on what the individual's time and expertise are really worth. You can't compare it to a salary. That's not what it is.

I can't believe y'all are still fighting over this silly stuff. The army isn't a job. It's volunteer service to one's country, and to some extent--vocational training, depending.
Everyone I know just consider it job training while serving your country. Not sure why he is trying to make it more than that. But you are right why argue about it

Old 02-15-2015, 10:12 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,068,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSmurf View Post
. Fresh rookie on the street will bring up at min 50k. How do I know? I am former NYPD right up to a year ago
Yeah...40k, 50k, that's in the ballpark. Significantly lower than San Jose.

Quote:
Houses in Queens and Brooklyn are much cheaper than 500k.
$500k is the median. Half are lower, half are higher. That's what "median" means.

Quote:
So yes some officers rent apartments and others own homes.
Again, I don't think anyone is buying their own 500k home at 50k/year. Certainly not a "single family home in an excellent school district".

Quote:
Paid volunteer
That's what I said. I was correcting what you seemed to be saying, that we are not paid.

Quote:
You keep trying to compare military which gives you everything you need for free to a police department that only gives you a job
(1) It does NOT give you "everything you need" for free. Ask E-1s in Afghanistan if they get "everything they need".....the "dig its" might say yes, but most will say no. Any unit in the military has "dig its" who dig the military as a job, think the pay is great etc. But most of us didn't see it that way. Most of us would say "I would never do it again but I wouldn't have missed it for the world".

(2) The point is that BOTH are about SERVING YOUR COUNTRY not making a lot of money. $80k should be the salary of an engineer at Apple NOT a rookie police officer.

An O-1 -- Ensign in the Navy, Second Lieutenant in the Army and other services -- makes just under 40k right now. So it's good for NYC police officers and officers in the military, but not for SJPD?

Quote:
Free education,
What, you mean PACE (Program for Afloat College Education)? Sure if you have time. Our OPTEMPO was really high on submarines. I stayed up for four days straight once, 24 or 48 hours was typical. Some people did do PACE, but they would take one class. Most of us didn't have time. The free education is more something you get when you're out, with the GI Bill. Thus that doesn't count.

Quote:
Free housing,
I already addressed this by saying we'll add 24k to the military pay chart for non-military government servants. Or a 1k per month housing voucher and 1k per month food voucher. Well you don't need 1k for food...what's a food voucher in the USN like $300/month? That still doesn't get you up to 80k which is the starting salary in SJPD.

Quote:
World travel, Free Job training Ability for your application to be put on top of other people that didn't serve in the military.
None of these things are perks, dude. It's world travel because that is where your duty takes you. Free job training because the job requires it. Your list is lame. One might as well say that a perk of being in SJPD is "being able to see parts of San Jose that you might not otherwise see".

Quote:
If you wanted more money in the military pick better options or go the officer route. Everyone knows this. Again you sound just bitter
You are missing my point. The point is that you are supposed to become a police officer TO SERVE YOUR COUNTRY, not to make a lot of money. Any government servant should get approximately the military pay chart. That goes for city, county, BART, Amtrak, USPS, etc.

Government servants should NOT negotiate salary. And government servants being able to strike (like with BART) is NOT acceptable.

Old 02-16-2015, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Yeah...40k, 50k, that's in the ballpark. Significantly lower than San Jose.
So? No one is complaining about money

Quote:
$500k is the median. Half are lower, half are higher. That's what "median" means.
I know what median means. It was you that made it seem like officers can't afford to buy a house in NYC when you were wrong

Quote:
Again, I don't think anyone is buying their own 500k home at 50k/year. Certainly not a "single family home in an excellent school district".
Again you are incorrect.

Quote:
That's what I said. I was correcting what you seemed to be saying, that we are not paid.
Regardless of being paid, you still volunteer'd

Quote:
(1) It does NOT give you "everything you need" for free. Ask E-1s in Afghanistan if they get "everything they need".....the "dig its" might say yes, but most will say no. Any unit in the military has "dig its" who dig the military as a job, think the pay is great etc. But most of us didn't see it that way. Most of us would say "I would never do it again but I wouldn't have missed it for the world".

(2) The point is that BOTH are about SERVING YOUR COUNTRY not making a lot of money. $80k should be the salary of an engineer at Apple NOT a rookie police officer.

An O-1 -- Ensign in the Navy, Second Lieutenant in the Army and other services -- makes just under 40k right now. So it's good for NYC police officers and officers in the military, but not for SJPD?
See this is where I see you are just trolling now for an argument. You can't say what we were given in Afghanistan when even you claimed you were in the navy on a sub. Again no one talks about the pay when we are talking about military. Yes, we were given everything we needed for free. The only people I heard say they would never do it again are bitter people pissed they made bad a choice like yourself.

Quote:
What, you mean PACE (Program for Afloat College Education)? Sure if you have time. Our OPTEMPO was really high on submarines. I stayed up for four days straight once, 24 or 48 hours was typical. Some people did do PACE, but they would take one class. Most of us didn't have time. The free education is more something you get when you're out, with the GI Bill. Thus that doesn't count.
I am starting to think you wasn't even in the military at all when make statement like this. So you mean to tell me the thousands including myself that received the free education while serving was what? They even paid for me to learn a new language.

Quote:
I already addressed this by saying we'll add 24k to the military pay chart for non-military government servants. Or a 1k per month housing voucher and 1k per month food voucher. Well you don't need 1k for food...what's a food voucher in the USN like $300/month? That still doesn't get you up to 80k which is the starting salary in SJPD.
You haven't addressed anything close to what was said. As I said before 24k is low. Dude get over it. No one needs 80k a year when everything is given to you.

Quote:
None of these things are perks, dude. It's world travel because that is where your duty takes you. Free job training because the job requires it. Your list is lame. One might as well say that a perk of being in SJPD is "being able to see parts of San Jose that you might not otherwise see".
Everything I said is a perk. Does a police officer take him to Asia? Europe? Middle East? Will it be free? No? Don't give me that line saying none of it is a perk. Seeing a different part of a city is not even the same to seeing a entire different part of the world.

Quote:
You are missing my point. The point is that you are supposed to become a police officer TO SERVE YOUR COUNTRY, not to make a lot of money. Any government servant should get approximately the military pay chart. That goes for city, county, BART, Amtrak, USPS, etc.
You missed the point, Police officers serve their community. The pay is determined by the local government and tax payers. It's a job you apply. There is a difference between local and federal government. The fact you keep saying civil servants should be paid according to military pay chart is just plain crazy. You are clearly trolling.

Quote:
Government servants should NOT negotiate salary. And government servants being able to strike (like with BART) is NOT acceptable
. You clearly don't know the difference in the things you say. There are also things you quote about the military which make me question you even served at all. You keep quoting website data which isn't even accurate on salaries. So my conclusion is you are either trolling or just love to argue about things you don't have good knowledge about, in any case I am done talking to a person that can't even see the difference in things after other people told you as well. Have a Good Day

Old 03-31-2015, 03:43 PM

592 posts, read 828,184 times
The latest crime statistics don't look good for San Francisco. Crime did decrease slightly in 2014, but was up over 20% from 2012 to 2013. Here is a list of the 15 largest cities in the US and their violent and property crime rates per 100,000 people.

https://www.baruch.cuny.edu/nycdata/...lectcities.htm

San Francisco ranks 4th worst in terms of violent crime(behind Indianapolis,Philadelphia and Houston).

San Francisco, sadly, ranks the worst(1st) for property crime, which is of course the bigger crime threat

Last edited by SFNative87; 03-31-2015 at 05:10 PM..

Old 03-31-2015, 03:53 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,459,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNative87 View Post
The latest crime statistics don't look good for San Francisco. Crime did decrease slightly in 2014, but was up over 20% from 2012 to 2013. Here is a list of the 15 largest cities in the US and their violent and property crime rates per 100,000 people.

https://www.baruch.cuny.edu/nycdata/...lectcities.htm

San Francisco ranks 4th worst in terms of violent crime(behind Indianapolis,Philadelphia and Houston).

San Francisco, sadly, the worst(1st) for property crime, which is of course the bigger crime threat
I wonder how much of that is due to the epidemic of smartphone theft that might now be winding down due to the new 'kill switches' (of course the criminals will just shift, and have in fact apparently already shifted, to other crimes, like home invasions, bike theft, and car-window-smashing).

Old 03-31-2015, 04:39 PM

42,843 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
I wonder how much of that is due to the epidemic of smartphone theft that might now be winding down due to the new 'kill switches' (of course the criminals will just shift, and have in fact apparently already shifted, to other crimes, like home invasions, bike theft, and car-window-smashing).
In most categories crime dropped in SF in 2014 Police Data Show San Francisco Violent Crime Dropped In 2014 « CBS San Francisco

But you can't tell much about crime rates looking at one or two years of data, what you try to find is a trend and that takes 4 or 5 years of data and you need to be able to break down the data rather than just observe gross numbers i.e violent, property, etc.

As far as your speculation about criminals switching crimes because of 'kill switches' those are relatively new and as far as I know only in iphones so I don't think that would have an immediate impact on crime rates. Home invasions are rare, they are a particularly heinous crime and criminals know the inherent danger in committing one (they might be walking in to a gunfight). Most home invasion robberies are drug related, but that's another whole story.

An awful lot of violent crime is domestic violence, or gang related violence, that doesn't make it less serious, but when a Cities violent crime rate is comprised mostly of those two categories it bodes better for the average resident than would a whole bunch of armed robberies and car jackings.

Here's a more detailed breakdown on 2014 crime data for SF SFPD Releases 2014 Crime Stats, And They're Better Than You Might Have Expected: SFist As you will see the number of reported rapes went up sharply but that is due to a change in reporting criteria http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...ape-fact-sheet

Last edited by 2sleepy; 03-31-2015 at 05:04 PM..

Old 06-05-2015, 06:37 PM

168 posts, read 165,351 times
I've had six burglaries in about 18-19 months. They're all daytime crimes so far. Now I'm working nights and I'm afraid they'll come when I'm home. It's one thing as a property crime, but...well, this isn't making for particularly restful sleep.

(Don't mind me. I'm just talking to myself.)

Old 06-05-2015, 09:51 PM

42,843 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBob View Post
I've had six burglaries in about 18-19 months. They're all daytime crimes so far. Now I'm working nights and I'm afraid they'll come when I'm home. It's one thing as a property crime, but...well, this isn't making for particularly restful sleep.

(Don't mind me. I'm just talking to myself.)
6 burglaries in your house? Have you ever considered an alarm system? Even if you get one that's not monitored, if it makes a lot of noise it is usually pretty effective at scaring people off. If not that, then how about a dog?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland