Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 11:02 PM

5 posts, read 39,439 times

Advertisements

Am considering moving to Mill Valley or Berkley area with employment in the financial district of SF - both areas are about 16 mile bike ride which I believe is doable from a distance standpoint. However, completely unfamiliar with either the terrain or the bridges - are both the golden gate and the Oakland Bay bridge open/ safe for cyclist traffic? Anyone do these commutes regularly and might be able to chime in on how long and how safe these cycling commutes. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 11:12 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,110,705 times
No go yet on the Bay Bridge for bikes. You'd have to take your bike on BART.

The ride from Mill Valley wouldn't be too bad. You can make it to the Financial District with minimal hills and low traffic interaction as almost the entire route from the Marin side of the bridge into the FiDi is divided bike route.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:14 AM

102,065 posts, read 107,003,261 times
I'd pick Mill Valley if I were you. And you can always take your bike on the ferry.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:04 PM

8,996 posts, read 10,420,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
The ride from Mill Valley wouldn't be too bad. You can make it to the Financial District with minimal hills
Except for that big huge one coming out of Sausalito (Alexander Ave) - unless of course the OP decides to take the ferry instead.

Without the ferry, the ride from MV to the Financial District would be about 15.5 miles.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:59 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,863,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
No go yet on the Bay Bridge for bikes. You'd have to take your bike on BART.

The ride from Mill Valley wouldn't be too bad. You can make it to the Financial District with minimal hills and low traffic interaction as almost the entire route from the Marin side of the bridge into the FiDi is divided bike route.
Taking a bike on BART during commute hours is very difficult (if not impossible). They used to not even allow it through the tube, but now allow it (kind of)...but it's a big pain in the butt since there really isn't any dedicated bike sections on the trains like you find on Caltrain, and BART trains are super crowded going from Berkeley/Oakland to/from SF (so prepare to get the "stink eye" from average commuters when they try to pack into the train and notice you taking up extra space). Caltrain and ferries are a much easier experience for bike commuters.

If the two choices are between Berkeley and Mill Valley, I'd pick Mill Valley (although I find the fact that one is choosing between those two communities of all Bay Area communities a bit...odd). At least in Mill Valley there's a direct biking route into the city on the GG bridge.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:05 PM

8,996 posts, read 10,420,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
(although I find the fact that one is choosing between those two communities of all Bay Area communities a bit...odd).
Indeed. For much better ferry access, not to mention a totally flat route to and from the ferry, I'd recommend Alameda.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:10 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,863,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Indeed. For much better ferry access, not to mention a totally flat route to and from the ferry, I'd recommend Alameda.
Alameda is an awesome biking city. Flat, quiet streets mostly with slow/small amounts of traffic, and some good bike trails along the water. And great for getting to the city on the ferry. I used to live there and biked all of the time. I would sometimes commute to BART sometimes (through the Webster St. tunnel), although I usually just took the ferry since it was way more convenient (and scenic).

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 02-09-2015 at 08:26 PM..

Old 03-05-2015, 02:56 PM

2 posts, read 1,347 times
Question related to the earlier comments about bikes and BART: do BART stations have bike parking? I.e. if I were to ride a beater bike to the BART, then chain it up and leave it all day, come back at night, and ride it home, do facilities exist to make that possible?

Thanks. I am moving to the Bay Area shortly, and any information is helpful.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:14 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,240,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beestly View Post
Question related to the earlier comments about bikes and BART: do BART stations have bike parking? I.e. if I were to ride a beater bike to the BART, then chain it up and leave it all day, come back at night, and ride it home, do facilities exist to make that possible?
I believe it varies from station to station so you'd need to look up whatever particular station you'll be near.

As for bike commuting on BART, coming into the city nowadays yeah, it might be hard since trains are so packed. As long as the car isn't packed you can just rest your bike near the doors. Restrictions say you can't be in the first 3 cars during commute hours, but after 9 it's fine. If your office has flexible hours it's doable. Foldable bikes are always allowed. Stink eye me all you want, if BART was more widespread this would be less of an issue.

Only issue with the ferry is there are less times.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:01 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,715,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beestly View Post

Thanks. I am moving to the Bay Area shortly, and any information is helpful.
Yes the Bart has bike parking but some stations have more issues with theft than most. A few stations have attended bike parking from roughly 7a-9p: fruitvale, 19th, downtown Berkeley.

Just about every station has bike link bike lockers in varying amounts. These cost 5 cents an hour but you need a card to access. It is easy to park, just wheel in. But they can fill up fast.

If you have a beater and lock well your bike should be fine. Most of the inner east bay stations have dozens or hundreds of spots (MacArthur has about 250 bike spots and more coming).

I have parked all day at MacArthur no issue. But parked in the evening at 19th and someone tried to steal my basket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland