Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 02:40 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times

Advertisements

Good article with quotes that I like:

Housing Bubble 2: California November Home Sales Plunge to Multiyear Lows, Prices Soar | Wolf Street

The peak of the prior housing bubble in San Francisco occurred in November 2007, based on the same DataQuick series, with a median price of $814,750. After it imploded so spectacularly, everyone acknowledged that it had been an out-of-whack bubble phenomenon. Everyone had anecdotes of craziness. Sanity would henceforth reign in San Francisco, they said. Now, exactly seven years later, the San Francisco median home costs 32% more than it did during that crazy bubble peak.

Only this time, it’s neither a bubble nor a peak. It’s just an insufficiently recovering housing market, according to Yellen. And so she’s surprised that, after six years of free money for certain folks, it hasn’t “recovered” even more.

This has signs of ended really badly. When the money in tech goes dry there will not be any appetite for these severely inflated homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 03:45 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,783,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Good article with quotes that I like:

Housing Bubble 2: California November Home Sales Plunge to Multiyear Lows, Prices Soar | Wolf Street

The peak of the prior housing bubble in San Francisco occurred in November 2007, based on the same DataQuick series, with a median price of $814,750. After it imploded so spectacularly, everyone acknowledged that it had been an out-of-whack bubble phenomenon. Everyone had anecdotes of craziness. Sanity would henceforth reign in San Francisco, they said. Now, exactly seven years later, the San Francisco median home costs 32% more than it did during that crazy bubble peak.

Only this time, it’s neither a bubble nor a peak. It’s just an insufficiently recovering housing market, according to Yellen. And so she’s surprised that, after six years of free money for certain folks, it hasn’t “recovered” even more.

This has signs of ended really badly. When the money in tech goes dry there will not be any appetite for these severely inflated homes.
Why do you think the money in tech will go dry? I don't think technology is going anywhere, at least anytime soon...

Old 02-10-2015, 05:43 PM

23,537 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Technology could have a slight recession, as it does have it's up and down cycles. But, with some of the products and technologies that are being incubated by some local start-up companies here, the future is bright for technology, at least in the long run.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:18 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
I will be selling my place at the end of the year, so please don't pop yet!!!

Old 02-10-2015, 06:36 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
Why do you think the money in tech will go dry? I don't think technology is going anywhere, at least anytime soon...
Because tech is highly cyclical. The Bay Area had the nation's worst job losses 10 years ago, during the last downturn. Silicon Valley had higher unemployment than Metro Detroit.

Tech, for whatever reason, tends to boom and bust really hard.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:17 PM

833 posts, read 1,199,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Because tech is highly cyclical. The Bay Area had the nation's worst job losses 10 years ago, during the last downturn. Silicon Valley had higher unemployment than Metro Detroit.

Tech, for whatever reason, tends to boom and bust really hard.
A lot of people building startups... 99% of them will crash.

I'd also say a lot of kids think they can make money in tech around here, so there is a lot of surplus. Not counting the applicants out of state/country.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:19 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazyattic View Post
A lot of people building startups... 99% of them will crash.

I'd also say a lot of kids think they can make money in tech around here, so there is a lot of surplus. Not counting the applicants out of state/country.
Most of the international applicants are coming with job offer and work visa in hand. And some of those visas don't allow them to change employers. Some do.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:44 PM

121 posts, read 142,643 times
One component to addressing the housing problem, although its somewhat late, is for county laws to be passed preventing further investor (how ever you want to define that) purchases of single family homes. If you want to be a residential real estate investor of any meaningful size, you need to be limited to invest in apartment buildings. If you're a mom and pop and want to buy a house or two, then you're good to go. If you think its a good idea then get your referendum on.

The same thing needs to be applied to foreign investors asap. No purchases of property. Look at Vancouver, Canada. They opened they immigration to folks who have means. An investor designation if you will. The city is loaded with uber wealthy folks from all over asia. Downtown is loaded with ferrari's, bently's, lamborghini. An AMG is a cheap car there. Thats the future of the bay area unless folks do something to stop the inflow of dollars. Can't do much about the current tech workers though.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:15 PM

833 posts, read 1,199,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Most of the international applicants are coming with job offer and work visa in hand. And some of those visas don't allow them to change employers. Some do.
And this doesn't leave people unemployed?

Old 02-10-2015, 11:20 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I will be selling my place at the end of the year, so please don't pop yet!!!
Good luck. I recently moved myself to a new house here while planning a separate work relocation overseas at the same time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland