Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 04:58 PM

28,110 posts, read 63,525,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I've noticed the Bay Area being transitional for a long time now. It seems like I've constantly been saying goodbye to friends I've made who are "moving back" or "moving on". I hoped that would change as I got older but it hasn't and even the people that stuck around for a few decades are retiring elsewhere, usually to be closer to family and those they left behind when they transferred here for work. It's a bummer I tell ya! I have to be making new friends every few years!
What part of the Bay Area do you call home?

My parents bought their home in Oakland in 1969 and 46 years later they are still the new kids on the block.

I bought a home in Oakland from the couple the built it in 1958 about 12 years ago and I'm the kid on the block... my neighbors have all lived their forever with the 90+ year olds going back to the 1950's

When I bought my first Oakland home it was from the original owner that bought in 1922... I've always been around people that go back decades... only reason they move is when they can't be alone anymore as my 101 year old neighbor or they pass away...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 06:06 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,180,211 times
I really want to move back to PA after we retire. My family is there, my history is there. Our only close friends from here moved back there this past year. I have people I know, but there's no close ties and if something happens to my husband I am ALONE here.

I think it's different for people who were born here and grew up here -- they might have the same type of ties like I have to PA, but a lot of people who moved here, so many of them seem very ...rootless. Unable to take to take root here.

It's sad, really. I think if more people could plant roots more people would stay, but it hasn't seemed to be that kind of place for a long time.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:32 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,340,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I really want to move back to PA after we retire. My family is there, my history is there. Our only close friends from here moved back there this past year. I have people I know, but there's no close ties and if something happens to my husband I am ALONE here.

I think it's different for people who were born here and grew up here -- they might have the same type of ties like I have to PA, but a lot of people who moved here, so many of them seem very ...rootless. Unable to take to take root here.

It's sad, really. I think if more people could plant roots more people would stay, but it hasn't seemed to be that kind of place for a long time.
I've got the family ties and ties to those friends who are left here. But we have no kids and the older generations are dying out. When you get to cousins most don't live in the immediate Bay Area (the closest is in Gilroy ... then Sacto ... and then ... ).

In any case, even though I have all the childhood memories and whatever ties are left, when the career wraps up ... adios ... at least to the Bay Area. Then it comes down to various trade offs both within and outside the state. It will be interesting to see what we ultimately decide.

One final thought ... a generational difference ... it seems to me that anyone after Boom who grew up here experiences a lot more thoughts of exiting the area at some point. Of course the housing cost curve has a lot to do with that, Boom and older hit much better market entry points.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:19 PM

51 posts, read 62,813 times
SF sucks on all levels unless you are gay, uber wealthy or Asian. Better leave now before you get old and gray, then you will not attract any man at all. Oregon all the way north to Seatlle is Femini-Nazi Ground Zero. Woman have absolute power dating boy toys half their age. Homes are way cheaper and less stress. Check it out!

Old 02-27-2015, 12:38 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelio Steeler View Post
SF sucks on all levels unless you are gay, uber wealthy or Asian. Better leave now before you get old and gray, then you will not attract any man at all. Oregon all the way north to Seatlle is Femini-Nazi Ground Zero. Woman have absolute power dating boy toys half their age. Homes are way cheaper and less stress. Check it out!
Did you just try to dust off "Femi-Nazi" as a thing?! You should try trolling in this century.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:43 PM

64 posts, read 91,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaskin View Post
5. the dating scene here appears to be lively, however, if you take part in it a woman will likely find it difficult here......that the men here do not take part in long term evolving relationships but are most often interested in short term fun filled encounters and seem to have other interests that preclude relationships such as working round the clock or are here only for 1-2 years for work or seem to have such short attention spans regarding all the dating options etc...; so many other men are socially unskilled and perhaps this is associated with the techie category? (I have gone to singles groups, meetups, had on average 1 date per month in the 5 years I have been here, and still have managed to stay unattached because of the above issues)

Again, input from people living here or have lived here is desired.
I don't know you so don't take this as a personal attack, but when I read something like this I translate it to "the billionaire/rockstar/model types I throw myself at only screw and leave me". You've been on 60 dates and no boyfriend? I haven't been on 60 dates in my life. I doubt you've been celibate for five years, so what kind of guys are you actually getting with on the side? I would wager that at least ten of those guys would have made a perfectly fine partner and you rejected them for no good reason, wasting their time and your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland