Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2015, 02:39 PM

99 posts, read 386,581 times

Advertisements

Hello,

In a nutshell I have developed a relationship with with a farmer in west marin & he is willing to sell a 1/4 acre parcel to me, the land is on a tidal lagoon & half of it goes under water at high tide. Their are neighboring properties close (3 other homes within 1 mile) and the area is zoned residential. The lot is undeveloped and a bit of a mess (unused for decades), there is a pole for power on the road / no other utilities but that is fine with me - this is the only possible way I can afford anything in the area.

My question is: does anyone know if I can park a 5th wheel or RV on vacant land in Marin or do I need permission from the county? I am sensitive to the surroundings would “camouflage” the RV with sidings and anything else that I could to try and make it blend into the environment so that it would not be visible from the road or especially to any neighbors - I don’t want to ruin anyones views or enjoyment of the area.

My wife has changed her career & is starting an art business, I provide software services and can work from anywhere, we both live pretty quiet lives & don’t need much money right now so moving to a 5th wheel in marin close to the coast for a year or two to keep costs low while we work on our new businesses would be a dream come true in many ways.

All and any advice / opinions welcome!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 02:45 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Nope. Regrettably, West Marin is probably very high on any list of places in the country where you'll almost certainly not get away with it. Not allowed by ordinances. And frowned upon, to put it mildly, by the people in the communities around you. You'll be reported no matter how hard you try to hide.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:49 PM

99 posts, read 386,581 times
@Telemutt, I kind of figured their would be a million ordinances preventing this which is kind of a bummer.

I would not put it there unless 100% legal / allowed, but even then would try to hide it just so as not to detract from the views in the area.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:27 AM

121 posts, read 142,549 times
I strongly suggest you not buy any land. Land in a tidal lagoon sounds entirely unsavory to me. Sign a short term lease conditional on having the legal right to park your RV there. West Marin is beautiful but certain parts are not at all friendly to new people coming in and some of the laws are reflective of that. Maybe talk to someone at the County. They may have advice or can point you in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland