Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 02:08 PM

40 posts, read 95,983 times

Advertisements

Firstly, please excuse me if I may sound unclear or scattered as English is my fourth language and thank you in advance for reading my post. I look forward to reading your replies.

I am a visual designer and web developer. I've been a stay-at-home mom for the last four years until September of last year. I am employed by two talent agencies as a contractor (aka they don't guarantee me any hours). I've been working 60 hours per week and make an equivalent of a 75K salary. My children go to a very loving day care part-time where the owner only charge me $10/hour for both children. My children and I currently live with their father in the peninsula. He and I split the expenses down the middle. I'm trying to move out with my children — he is aware — because he has a long history (10 years) of being abusive (mostly emotionally but he has hit me twice before and slapped our son once so hard that he bit his mouth and bled).

Like many others, I am challenged by the high rent in the Bay Area. The logical thing to do is move elsewhere. But where? Where can I move to where the schools are still good and where I can find a job? Where can I move to where quality child care will still be affordable?

I've googled and I've searched on Craigslist. Most of the studio and one-bedroom on Craigslist specify "single occupancy only." While familial discrimination is illegal, it seems hardly worth it to report them especially since Craigslist is anonymous and the process of confirming discrimination is lengthy. Is three people living in a studio realistic? Some sites suggest Oregon, Washington, New Jersey, and Texas claiming they have a good tech economy. I don't know anything about New Jersey or Texas. I was raised in Oregon and the weather gave me depression. I heard weather in Washington is similar. I also can't go back to Oregon because my family is there. I know that doesn't make sense...why wouldn't I go back to where I have a support system or safety net. The reality is I don't have a support system. My relatives are al intimidated by my parents that they're afraid to help (seen as "intervening" in my family). The biggest problem is that my dad has violent tendencies (e.g. he used to hit me with a 2x4) and he molested me when I was an adolescent. I can't have him be near or have easy access to my children.

Last edited by soyu; 02-24-2015 at 02:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 02:12 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Are you married to the kids' father? If there will be a divorce involved, he'd have to pay child support, and that would help you. How old are your kids?

Old 02-24-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Are you married to the kids' father? If there will be a divorce involved, he'd have to pay child support, and that would help you. How old are your kids?
We are not legally married but have been together for 10 years. My children are 4 and 2.

Their father has almost no income right now short from financial aid during the school year. He was making some money from his Amazon referral program but Amazon suspended his account due to some kind of violation earlier this month. So I'm worried about making ends meet during summer since he doesn't receive financial aid during summer.

We agreed (verbally) that I will not go after him for child support.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:51 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
If your husband is abusive then you should seek out a domestic violence shelter for you and your children. Some are good and will assist you in finding housing and getting back on your feet. Call 2-1-1 By the way, if you ever seek any kind of public assistance the County will go after your children's father for support, and in your situation it might be worthwhile to rethink agreement you made with him about no support

Old 02-24-2015, 02:54 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If your husband is abusive then you should seek out a domestic violence shelter for you and your children. Some are good and will assist you in finding housing and getting back on your feet. Call 2-1-1 By the way, if you ever seek any kind of public assistance the County will go after your children's father for support, and in your situation it might be worthwhile to rethink agreement you made with him about no support
This is a good idea. They may have connections to low-income housing. There may be underground resources you don't know about.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
He has not been abusive since I laid out everything to him and what would happen if he becomes abusive. But it's still very hard to live with him due to his overly often petty yelling; he gets upset easily and yelling is his way of "blowing off steam" -- nonetheless it's very disturbing.

I actually ran away to CORA with my children when I realized we have been abused but CORA was not helpful. They provided me with emergency housing free of charge and provided food (e.g. canned and processed food), but they were not much help aside from that. They "encouraged" me to find a job, which I wasn't able to do because child care was unavailable. The living situation "wasn't great." The house was located right next to the CalTrain so my children couldn't sleep at night. There were also drug users and heavy drinkers. Shortly after I left, one of the residents whom I stayed in touch with told me a fight broke out and police were involved. That resident faced the same challenge as I did and eventually got "kicked out" because her stay had expired (90 days). She got child care, but her children were neglected at the day care center then got removed from her then eventually she had to quit her job. She's been in multiple shelters for the past 2 years and still not able to get back on her feet.

I don't qualify for public assistance. My income is considered too high. I believe I can make it on my own. I was penniless back in September but I'm working now and have some saving. I likely just can't make it here in the bay area peninsula due to the high cost of housing. Hence I want to hear what other options might I have.

I was a very sheltered person due to my parents and this relationship so I'm not very "well-informed"; hence I'm seeking the wisdom of others.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:00 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Sounds bad. Living on financial aid means you can't afford where you are anyway. Your only option is to just start looking for a job in lower COL areas and accept things maybe won't be so good for awhile. Maybe you can find a house where someone is renting a couple rooms or something. 3 in a studio won't fly unless it's in an illegal rental, it's not discrimination it's the occupancy laws.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Sounds bad. Living on financial aid means you can't afford where you are anyway. Your only option is to just start looking for a job in lower COL areas and accept things maybe won't be so good for awhile. Maybe you can find a house where someone is renting a couple rooms or something. 3 in a studio won't fly unless it's in an illegal rental, it's not discrimination it's the occupancy laws.
Right. Law require 3 people at least have one bedroom.

What does COL mean?

Old 02-24-2015, 08:29 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
COL means cost of living.

Occupancy limits usually are 2 people per bedroom, plus one who may live in the living room. So, if it's a studio, usually that means 2 people.

I was an apt mgr in Santa Clara. Usually landlords want you to make 3 times the monthly rent with your gross income. So, for you, you should look for rentals max $2100 max.

I think to transition your kids, it would be best if they could stay with the same day care. Also, it would be best for you to keep your current job while you look for an apartment locally. Then get your bearings on your own, and maybe next year look at moving to an entirely different area. That's just my thinking.

So, you need an apt on the peninsula for $2100.

Here's a Craigslist search:

SF bay area apts/housing for rent - craigslist

There are 1 bedrooms in your price range. So, you should be able to find a place. Depending on the sex of your kids, you can share the room with one of them, or put them both in the same room and you take the bedroom, etc.

I once rented to a single mother with a child, and her boyfriend moved in. The adults slept in the living room and the child had the bedroom.

Good luck to you.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:52 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Please don't answer these questions here, I'm just posing them for you to take a little time and think this through.

1) how will he maintain the place you two are renting if you move out and he isn't working?
2) why do you have this agreement that he won't pay child support? They are his kids too.
3) If he's not working why are the kids in child care, are you afraid to let him care for them? If so then I think you need to get out of this ASAP.
4) If you move out and are working 60 hours a week, how are you going to afford full time child care on top of rent?
5) Can you document this 75k a year well enough to qualify for an apartment? They will need to see some steady, regular flow of income and good credit.
6) any family or friends that you can stay with until you can think all of this through?

Best of luck to you, you sound miserable and I hope whatever you decide it works out well for you and your kids
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland