Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 07:28 PM

82 posts, read 360,305 times

Advertisements

Hi, are there any recommendations for nice restaurants for dinner that have a view at night (towards the city/bridges) but located in the east bay? For out of towners visiting. Nice but not ridiculously expensive. Would be much appreciated! Don't know the waterfront areas in east bay well enough to know this - obviously no dodgy areas please . Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 07:31 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Your best bet is in Jack London Square

Old 02-25-2015, 08:03 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Trader Vic's in Emeryville. They bought that property for the view. Valet parking. It's famous for its exotic cocktails. Make reservations, and ask for a table by the windows.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:05 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
I agree. I thought there was a restaurant named Carlos Murphy at Jack London Square, but I'm not finding that info online.

Next option, maybe Alameda.

Or just drive across the bridge, and the world is your oyster :-)

There are evening dinner cruises which to me, would be the ultimate experience.

Just one option: San Francisco Dinner Cruise & Boat Tours on Hornblower

Old 02-25-2015, 08:38 PM

82 posts, read 360,305 times
I've only been to Jack London square by day. Is it a "happening" place in the evening?
Trader Vic's sounds like it might fit the bill.

Yeah maybe we should go into the city...I'm kind of wanting to avoid what I assume will be pretty hectic Saturday night traffic there.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:47 PM

Personally, I find Jack London Square to be a little scary at night. I'm sure I'll be blasted for saying it, but there it is. And I'm someone who grew up with grandparents in Oakland.

Check this out:

What about Berkeley? Skates on the Bay: Berkeley, CA

Old 02-25-2015, 08:59 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Personally, I find Jack London Square to be a little scary at night. I'm sure I'll be blasted for saying it, but there it is. And I'm someone who grew up with grandparents in Oakland.

Check this out:

What about Berkeley? Skates on the Bay: Berkeley, CA
Have you been there in the past decade? It is not scary other than at the overpass. Which is several blocks from the "Square." There are half a dozen upscale restaurants in the "square."

Personally I like Paragon at the Claremont Hotel. The view is stellar on a clear night. If you go on a day the warriors are playing you might even see some basketball players.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Have you been there in the past decade? It is not scary other than at the overpass. Which is several blocks from the "Square." There are half a dozen upscale restaurants in the "square."

Personally I like Paragon at the Claremont Hotel. The view is stellar on a clear night. If you go on a day the warriors are playing you might even see some basketball players.
Yes, I have. I find the parking garages even scary during the day at Jack London Square. There just aren't enough people around, ever, for me to feel safe anymore.

I remember the good old days when Jack London Square was hopping. It's just not that way anymore. Last time I was there was noon-ish with my daughter, who lives in Oakland, and it was about about 2 years ago before I moved out of the area. We had a wonderful lunch, but were the only people walking around the garage afterwards.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:31 PM

379 posts, read 785,794 times
Skates on the Bay in the Berkeley Marina.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:44 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Ever since Plank opened, JLS is abuzz with tons of foot traffic. Couple that with all of the restaurants like Forge, Jack's, Bocanova, and Heinhold's and I have no clue how anyone could say it feels "scary". I highly doubt NoMoreSnowForMe has even been to JLS in the last two years, let alone the past 6 months. People used to claim Uptown was a ghost town on this forum and in 2015 that's just laughable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland