Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 02:09 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Ultra -- can she still drive a stick? That's the only thing that's kept our vehicles safe. Apparently our cars are the only ones that haven't been taken around my area.... which looked weird to the neighbors...
Up until the Corolla, all of her cars were stick... for 25 years she drove a VW Golf without automatic, power steering or air conditioning...

About the time she retired she was viciously attacked by a dog while going for her daily walk... messed her shoulder up pretty bad to where shifting and no power steering made driving the Golf a problem.

I have a pickup that doesn't get used much and offered it to her in the interim... she drives about 60 miles each week... you know, Safeway at 500 Bancroft, Church, Rite Aid and such...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 05:44 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Prop 47 and ab109 for the win.

Who could have possibly predicted that when you let more people out of prison crime increases.
Absolutely true, someone can't steal your car if they are in prison, but California spends around 11 billion on higher education a year and spends around 12.5 billion on prisons. If you want to keep more people in prison are you prepared to pay higher taxes, or see college tuition double or triple to pay for it? Because that is what will happen. This is not about being 'soft on crime' it's economics.

We need to lock people up who want to hurt us, not petty thieves and drug addicts. Buy an alarm system and lo jack for your car because I do not want to pay more taxes for this miserable failure of a prison system that simply churns offenders and releases them worse than they were when they entered the system. Maybe we should have a new donation check off on state tax returns for folks like you to donate to the prison system

Old 03-02-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Up until the Corolla, all of her cars were stick... for 25 years she drove a VW Golf without automatic, power steering or air conditioning...

About the time she retired she was viciously attacked by a dog while going for her daily walk... messed her shoulder up pretty bad to where shifting and no power steering made driving the Golf a problem.

I have a pickup that doesn't get used much and offered it to her in the interim... she drives about 60 miles each week... you know, Safeway at 500 Bancroft, Church, Rite Aid and such...
I checked on the website, lojack is a one time fee of $699 no monthly charges, almost every vehicle stolen that has lojack is recovered. You might also look at an Onstar equipped vehicle

Old 03-02-2015, 05:49 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,867 times
Castro Valley and Pleasanton/Dublin have been getting a lot of spillover from Oakland, thanks to Section 8. I'm not surprised at all. I have grandparents in Pleasanton and they tell me it's getting pretty messed up there, too. So sorry about what happened to your mom!

Old 03-02-2015, 06:51 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Absolutely true, someone can't steal your car if they are in prison, but California spends around 11 billion on higher education a year and spends around 12.5 billion on prisons. If you want to keep more people in prison are you prepared to pay higher taxes, or see college tuition double or triple to pay for it? Because that is what will happen. This is not about being 'soft on crime' it's economics.

We need to lock people up who want to hurt us, not petty thieves and drug addicts. Buy an alarm system and lo jack for your car because I do not want to pay more taxes for this miserable failure of a prison system that simply churns offenders and releases them worse than they were when they entered the system. Maybe we should have a new donation check off on state tax returns for folks like you to donate to the prison system
We pay 5 times more for education than we do for prisons. I'm fine with shipping prisoners out of state where it is cheaper. We pay one of the highest if not the highest cost per prisoner in this state, the system needs form and letting criminals out of jail to further prey on society is not the reform needed. Costs need to be controlled, and a good, easy first step is to outsource some of that labor.

Many people seem to forget the cost criminals have on society before they set foot into a jail or a courtroom.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
We pay 5 times more for education than we do for prisons. I'm fine with shipping prisoners out of state where it is cheaper. We pay one of the highest if not the highest cost per prisoner in this state, the system needs form and letting criminals out of jail to further prey on society is not the reform needed. Costs need to be controlled, and a good, easy first step is to outsource some of that labor.

Many people seem to forget the cost criminals have on society before they set foot into a jail or a courtroom.
That is NOT what I said, I said we spend 1.5 billion more on prisons than on higher education, why do you insist on claiming people said something that they actually didn't? California already outsource prisoners, around 10,000 of them and it is not much cheaper. Even if it was cheaper it doesn't matter, the appellate court has ordered California to curtail the program.

I'm not sure how you, the worldwide prison expert, plan on controlling costs - maybe you would start with cutting inmates diets since we already spend a whopping $2.43 a day feeding them? The cost drivers in the prison system are salaries and facilities costs. It's unlikely you will convince 33,000 prison guards to take a pay cut and facilities costs won't decrease because the appellate court has ordered California to reduce the prison population to 137% of capacity from a high of almost 200% , so what are you going to do, ignore the court order and stack inmates like cord wood?

You are naive and uninformed. You have no idea of the costs of incarceration or how little it does to reform an offender. If you put a car thief in prison for a year there is a good chance that he will come out belonging to a gang and will move up to carjacking and residential burglaries or robberies. So, the one year respite from that person stealing cars is going to result in what, A hardened, wizened criminal..brilliant, simply brilliant.

I'm almost positive that you are not going to read anything that might cause you to question your belief that imprisonment is the answer for everything, but just in case you get bored, here it is: Changing Priorities: State Criminal Justice Reforms and Investments in Education — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

Old 03-02-2015, 08:06 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:

Of course, a two-bit addict looking for drug money with a smash-and-grab then learns how to be a professional criminal, with all the knowledge and contacts required to do so during his stay in prison. With nothing left to lose and dangerous people surrounding them when they get out, we now get a hardcore thug to deal with upon re-entry, only to repeat over and over, with increasing viciousness.

Folks who want everybody put away forever are quite often the people who don't want to pay the taxes (for this, or practically anything else) that would go towards expansion of the prison-industrial complex. Can't have it both ways.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:10 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That is NOT what I said, I said we spend 1.5 billion more on prisons than on higher education, why do you insist on claiming people said something that they actually didn't? California already outsource prisoners, around 10,000 of them and it is not much cheaper. Even if it was cheaper it doesn't matter, the appellate court has ordered California to curtail the program.

I'm not sure how you, the worldwide prison expert, plan on controlling costs - maybe you would start with cutting inmates diets since we already spend a whopping $2.43 a day feeding them? The cost drivers in the prison system are salaries and facilities costs. It's unlikely you will convince 33,000 prison guards to take a pay cut and facilities costs won't decrease because the appellate court has ordered California to reduce the prison population to 137% of capacity from a high of almost 200% , so what are you going to do, ignore the court order and stack inmates like cord wood?

You are naive and uninformed. You have no idea of the costs of incarceration or how little it does to reform an offender. If you put a car thief in prison for a year there is a good chance that he will come out belonging to a gang and will move up to carjacking and residential burglaries or robberies. So, the one year respite from that person stealing cars is going to result in what, A hardened, wizened criminal..brilliant, simply brilliant.

I'm almost positive that you are not going to read anything that might cause you to question your belief that imprisonment is the answer for everything, but just in case you get bored, here it is: Changing Priorities: State Criminal Justice Reforms and Investments in Education — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
So you cherry pick a figure to make your point and get mad when I call you out on it by using the entire educational spending.

The cost of corrections is staffing, of course we pay a noticeably more per correctional officer than other states. God forbid be rein in salaries.

Based on your theory we should never incarcerate anykne because they will all come out gang members. Most people who come out of priso are not gang members, most people who come out of prison have the same skills they came in with or a small increase in skill that costs millions in tax payer money to receive, and the inmate still ends up back prison because no one wants to higher felons. Why would they when non tech jobs are still hard to find in this state. Not to mention most criminals get out of prison and end up hanging out in the same circle of friends that produced many of the bad decisions previously. All of the above perpetuates the cycle and the only thing protecting society is keeping criminals behind bars. True change happens in the formative years with community police officers in the schools. This needs to be done at a much higher rate.

Sure reform is worth while goal, but it is rarely achieved. Plus getting prisoners a ged isn't going to change their life. People still will not hire them and they will continue down the path they know.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
So you cherry pick a figure to make your point and get mad when I call you out on it by using the entire educational spending.

The cost of corrections is staffing, of course we pay a noticeably more per correctional officer than other states. God forbid be rein in salaries.

Based on your theory we should never incarcerate anykne because they will all come out gang members. Most people who come out of priso are not gang members, most people who come out of prison have the same skills they came in with or a small increase in skill that costs millions in tax payer money to receive, and the inmate still ends up back prison because no one wants to higher felons. Why would they when non tech jobs are still hard to find in this state. Not to mention most criminals get out of prison and end up hanging out in the same circle of friends that produced many of the bad decisions previously. All of the above perpetuates the cycle and the only thing protecting society is keeping criminals behind bars. True change happens in the formative years with community police officers in the schools. This needs to be done at a much higher rate.

Sure reform is worth while goal, but it is rarely achieved. Plus getting prisoners a ged isn't going to change their life. People still will not hire them and they will continue down the path they know.
There you go again, now you are claiming that I suggested that no one should be incarcerated. Read what I say real carefully because I am not going to restate it when you once again try to twist it up. I said that we should put people in prison who are dangerous and who want to harm us. People who commit minor, petty offenses such as auto theft or shoplifting should be managed in other ways, i.e. community supervision with mandatory victim restitution and goal setting for release from probation such as getting a GED or completing a job training program.

As far as police officers in school changing kids, what a crock that is. They don't deter kids from committing crimes, in many cases they are so heavy handed that they arrest kids for infractions that could well be handled without police involvement by school officials, thus setting them off on their 'career' You don't even know how an arrest record, even for a very minor offense changes the dynamic when a cop encounters a kid, do you? If an arrest is optional, that kid will probably go to jail because he has a record while the kid without a prior arrest will be taken home to his parents. What has been shown to work is early education, good schools, after school programs and adult mentors for kids who live in single parent families.

Like I said before you are trying to discuss a system that you know nothing about, and unfortunately you don't want to learn about it, you prefer to pontificate.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:03 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
So sorry for your mom:-(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland