Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 07:33 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times

Advertisements

Either my family has been very unfortunate or Castro Valley motorist better be on alert.

Friday, Mom was in for an eye checkup at her Doctor's office and parked her pride and joy 2001 Toyota Corolla S on Lake Chabot Road... when she was done... her car was gone...

She loves this little car and we spent an entire day at the Toyota Factory watching it being assembled... under the hood is filled with signatures of many of the line workers that built her car... 5,000 people worked at NUMMI and rolled out the red carpet for us...

Mom never had a new car and shortly before Dad passed away, he said make sure Mom gets a good reliable car like a Toyota so he wouldn't have to worry about her driving around in that 25 year old stick shift VW Golf.

Her baby was washed and cleaned every week and the cloth upholstery kept covered to protect... 60,000 miles on a 14 year old car that looked like new.

Alameda County Sheriff said car thefts are on the rise and we were one of several making a report that day... My brother had his Mustang stolen a few years back, also in Castro Valley.

Anyway... I tried to help by taking her car shopping with no luck... nothing compared to her Corolla... in 14 years, cars have gone high tech which doesn't sit well with her.

Told her not to worry about price... just wanted to get an idea of what she liked... she was very concerned about price being retired on Social Security... have to say all the Dealers we visited were kind... no pressure and just let us look...

Still hoping it turns up in one piece... although the Deputy said each day that goes by lessens the chance... it's hard losing the familiar when you are older, not to mention a part of your independance... 60 years of driving and never a ticket or accident...

Just venting here out of desperation... We realize to most it's only a car even if it has been a trusted and reliable friend mom depended on to visit shut ins, pick up prescriptions and take her to church...

UltraR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 07:40 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
I was at the Pharmacy one day, which shares a parking lot with Trader Joe's, and other shops. Trader Joe's has a security guard. Or maybe the guard is for the whole small complex, but I only see him in front of TJ's. When I came out of the store, someone said one of the cars parked in front of TJ's had been broken into. They were telling everyone to be extra careful, and not leave anything valuable inside the car, visible.

I didn't hear a car alarm. Either the car didn't have one, or the burglar disabled it. But that's pretty brazen; breaking into cars where there's known to be a security guard.

Batten down your hatches, folks.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:42 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
So sorry, down in So Cal and my Toys are more than cars to me. I am sad to let my 96 go this year.

If I came out and my DD 03 Camry that looks brand new too was gone holy

Old 03-01-2015, 07:53 PM

Car smash and grabs are up for the region... Mom keeps nothing in her car other than an umbrella and reusable grocery bags...

I did buy her and new set of Michelin Tires for Christmas which she really appreciated as a person that always likes practical gifts. Just had it smogged and serviced and renewed the registration too... it was born on March 19th, 2001.

Many I work with have had windows popped... I've been a victim several times too... in broad daylight parked at the spot nearest the Home Depot San Leandro front door and the Orchard Supply front door... it's my work van and the couple of screwdrivers they got cost only a fraction of what it cost to replace the glass...

The only similar Corollas I have found searching hours on line have 150 to 200k miles which would be expected for the age of the car... we always thought this car would be handed down in the family along with the newspaper story and the pictures chronicling the story of how it all came to be...

We have pictures from the bare shell all the way to the end of the line when it was started for the first time... even a few with Mom sitting in her car going down the assembly line with no doors or engine... it really was a once in a lifetime experience....

Old 03-01-2015, 08:10 PM

24,404 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Sorry to hear that! Random crime seems to be widespread in the Bay Area, it's quite unfortunate. These kinds of crimes were almost unheard of in previous places I've lived. I've never lived somewhere where I personally know people whose car's were broken in, people getting violently robbed for their phone or bag etc.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Sorry to hear that! Random crime seems to be widespread in the Bay Area, it's quite unfortunate. These kinds of crimes were almost unheard of in previous places I've lived. I've never lived somewhere where I personally know people whose car's were broken in, people getting violently robbed for their phone or bag etc.
It is getting to be the norm... really sad.

I also never knew people that were victims of Home Invasions... it got so bad the Police Chief held a town hall that was standing room only...

Part of the problem seems to be catch and release... especially for juvenile offenders.

Some areas have hired private security patrols in hopes of making a difference... on my street, every home kicked in $100 within 24 hours of being asked to buy, install and maintain security cameras... every car coming and going is recorded at the perfect angle at driver height... those signs that say may be subject to video surveillance are 100% true.

Mom's car theft would run counter to conventional thinking since it happened in a bedroom community...

I can really see why some seniors and others are willing to pay for gated communities... never thought I would ever say that.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:37 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
That is such a sad story. I'm so sorry for your Mom.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:47 PM

24,404 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
It is getting to be the norm... really sad.

I also never knew people that were victims of Home Invasions... it got so bad the Police Chief held a town hall that was standing room only...

Part of the problem seems to be catch and release... especially for juvenile offenders.

Some areas have hired private security patrols in hopes of making a difference... on my street, every home kicked in $100 within 24 hours of being asked to buy, install and maintain security cameras... every car coming and going is recorded at the perfect angle at driver height... those signs that say may be subject to video surveillance are 100% true.

Mom's car theft would run counter to conventional thinking since it happened in a bedroom community...

I can really see why some seniors and others are willing to pay for gated communities... never thought I would ever say that.
My GF's aunt/uncle's house was broken into as well. I thought Castro Valley didn't have these issues. I 100% agree part of the problem is catch and release, they get a little slap on the wrist, which teaches them nothing. I'm glad your community is being proactive about it. Hopefully, it's a big enough deterrent to prevent further problems. I feel like a lot of people in the Bay Area, just try ignore it, an "out of sight, out of mind" mentality. I see it in these forums even. It seems like people would rather get angry about techies than dealing with the random crimes being committed. Oh well

Old 03-01-2015, 11:50 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Either my family has been very unfortunate or Castro Valley motorist better be on alert.

Friday, Mom was in for an eye checkup at her Doctor's office and parked her pride and joy 2001 Toyota Corolla S on Lake Chabot Road... when she was done... her car was gone...

She loves this little car and we spent an entire day at the Toyota Factory watching it being assembled... under the hood is filled with signatures of many of the line workers that built her car... 5,000 people worked at NUMMI and rolled out the red carpet for us...

Mom never had a new car and shortly before Dad passed away, he said make sure Mom gets a good reliable car like a Toyota so he wouldn't have to worry about her driving around in that 25 year old stick shift VW Golf.

Her baby was washed and cleaned every week and the cloth upholstery kept covered to protect... 60,000 miles on a 14 year old car that looked like new.

Alameda County Sheriff said car thefts are on the rise and we were one of several making a report that day... My brother had his Mustang stolen a few years back, also in Castro Valley.

Anyway... I tried to help by taking her car shopping with no luck... nothing compared to her Corolla... in 14 years, cars have gone high tech which doesn't sit well with her.

Told her not to worry about price... just wanted to get an idea of what she liked... she was very concerned about price being retired on Social Security... have to say all the Dealers we visited were kind... no pressure and just let us look...

Still hoping it turns up in one piece... although the Deputy said each day that goes by lessens the chance... it's hard losing the familiar when you are older, not to mention a part of your independance... 60 years of driving and never a ticket or accident...

Just venting here out of desperation... We realize to most it's only a car even if it has been a trusted and reliable friend mom depended on to visit shut ins, pick up prescriptions and take her to church...

UltraR
Contrary to what you may have been told I think there is an excellent chance that her car will be recovered. Most of the time older cars are stolen because some dimwit is stranded without a car and wants a ride home. They park it a block away from where they live and it sits there until someone calls the cops to check on it, or if it's parked in a restricted zone it might get towed at which time they will run the plate and contact you.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:54 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
My GF's aunt/uncle's house was broken into as well. I thought Castro Valley didn't have these issues. I 100% agree part of the problem is catch and release, they get a little slap on the wrist, which teaches them nothing. I'm glad your community is being proactive about it. Hopefully, it's a big enough deterrent to prevent further problems. I feel like a lot of people in the Bay Area, just try ignore it, an "out of sight, out of mind" mentality. I see it in these forums even. It seems like people would rather get angry about techies than dealing with the random crimes being committed. Oh well
There is no 'catch and release' I wish you would take some time to learn about the law before you attempt to talk about it. Car break-ins and car thefts are the most common crime that there is, and they occur everywhere - you are not immune from it even in lovely Castro Valley. Get lo-jack, a good alarm, adequate insurance and relax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland