Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 09:15 AM

951 posts, read 1,140,635 times

Advertisements

I just got a job offer for $180K a year salary for a job in San Francisco. It is a dream job in a dream location. I am a single mom and currently live in the Twin Cities, MN. I have a few questions.

1) Will this be enough to live in the bay area? Will I be a renter for the rest of my life living in a studio-like home?

2) How are the schools? How close can I live to SF that will have good schools, and somewhat affordable housing for my income?

3) How is the dating life for people like me who are single parents and in their late 30's?

I've been given a week to think about the offer. If I was single with no kids, I would take it in a heartbeat, but giving my son a quality life trumps it all. I will miss Minnesota, but my heart belongs in CA where I grew up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 10:57 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times
1) Bay Area is expensive, but it's not so expensive that someone making $180k can't live a good quality life and buy a modest sized house.

2) Affordable (relatively) with good schools = East Bay. Your take home pay is likely around $10,000. So you should be able to get a mortgage loan up to $700k without issue (monthly payment about 1/3 of your take home pay given recent interest rate). Assuming you have 20% down payment, that gets you in the $800k range for a house. That can get you a decent sized house (3 bedrooms, over 1,500 sq ft) in many parts of the East Bay. Or if you rent, you can afford something in the $3,000/mo range, that also get you a nice house in a nice nabe. I suggest you check out Castro Valley and Alameda.

3) Don't know.

Last edited by beb0p; 03-06-2015 at 11:09 AM..

Old 03-06-2015, 11:01 AM

4,321 posts, read 6,283,984 times
I wouldn't suggest living in SF as a single mom. Most of the schools aren't very good and I just don't think its a great place to raise a family.

I would say to look at somewhere like the tri-valley. Schools are excellent and the communities are very family friendly. You have access to BART, so the commute into the city is not that bad. Also, with your salary, you should be able to afford a nice rental. My advise would be to rent first and determine if you like the area, before you decide to buy.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:29 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer_land View Post
I just got a job offer for $180K a year salary for a job in San Francisco. It is a dream job in a dream location. I am a single mom and currently live in the Twin Cities, MN. I have a few questions.

1) Will this be enough to live in the bay area? Will I be a renter for the rest of my life living in a studio-like home?

2) How are the schools? How close can I live to SF that will have good schools, and somewhat affordable housing for my income?

3) How is the dating life for people like me who are single parents and in their late 30's?

I've been given a week to think about the offer. If I was single with no kids, I would take it in a heartbeat, but giving my son a quality life trumps it all. I will miss Minnesota, but my heart belongs in CA where I grew up.
1) Yes, more than enough!

2) You can look into the Peninsula first, such as San Mateo, Burlingame, Foster City, Millbrae.

3) Plenty of professional singles in their 20s, 30s, 40s.

$180k will provide a good life for your child and yourself, so it's just a matter of finding a place you love. Come visit and check out the cities I mentioned, if you want more bang for your buck, you can even go out to Walnut Creek.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:22 PM

242 posts, read 433,119 times
I moved to Minnesota from Pleasanton (East Bay). Where exactly in the Bay Area is your job? Your income should be an issue but I would not recommend living in the City itself - I would think the East Bay would be a better option for you + your child with you commuting into work. If you can swing it I'd vote for San Ramon, Pleasanton, or Dublin. I really, really miss Pleasanton but it was simply too costly for my wife and I to start a family there. It was an absolutely beautiful place to live for a few years.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:29 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times
Absolutely, $180K is enough to live in the Bay Area.

Incidentally, I know three people who moved to the Bay Area from Minnesota. None of them will ever go back! (no joke!)

Old 03-10-2015, 12:33 PM

951 posts, read 1,140,635 times
Thank you for your responses. Current boss has counter offer the other offer and now I really have to make a decision. Maybe I'll just retire somewhere warm and stay here for the time being...

Old 03-10-2015, 02:52 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,300,862 times
Quote:
Thank you for your responses. Current boss has counter offer the other offer and now I really have to make a decision. Maybe I'll just retire somewhere warm and stay here for the time being...
Congratulations on the counteroffer! Minnesota is much better for raising kids. Its my second favorite state! It would be insane to move to the Bay area and not be able to afford decent housing for your child.

To review your options:

Here is an example of a place with good schools & commute:

Example house Burlingame CA

Alameda is less expensive if you do not mind living on a liquefaction zone waiting for the overdue tectonic time bomb.

Quake maps show shaky East Bay soil / Risk of 'liquefaction' in north Alameda County - SFGate

Hayward Fault is our deadliest - a 'tectonic time bomb' - SFGate

Old 03-13-2015, 01:24 AM

17 posts, read 21,026 times
If you have to commute and don't live in the City, don't go further than Burlingame or San Mateo. Great suburbs just 20-25 minutes south of SF. Good schools too.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:35 PM

264 posts, read 413,924 times
Quote:
Geez, if that counter is anywhere near $180k in Minnesota do not move! Stay there, live like a queen, save up and retire early
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland