Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2015, 08:00 PM

3 posts, read 1,834 times

Advertisements

I currently live on the east coast with my german shepherd. I am planning on relocating to the Oakland area in June/July. I have scoured Craigslist for rentals that will accept large breed dogs. There aren't any..not that I've seen anyways. I don't know where else to look! I feel like I'm experiencing dog discrimination!! I was hoping to find a private party rental vs rental agency, as I thought those might be more "personable" and willing to accept my dog.
Are there any resources out there that I am not aware of perhaps? Would anyone have any information they could share with me? I know I have 3-4 months until I get there, but time will go quickly.. and I am trying to keep an eye out now. Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 11:52 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
I think it will be really tough for you, the rental market is so hot in Oakland right now that a few places my son looked at not only wanted perfect credit and references (which he has) but wanted him to submit a resume and appear at a given date/time for an interview. One place told him to submit a letter stating how much over the asking price he would be willing to pay. Nothing he looked at would consider pets, not even a hamster. He gave up and moved back to Martinez. Are you going to be working in Oakland? If it makes sense for you to commute you might look in western Contra Costa County - El Cerrito, Pinole, El Sobrante or in Southern Solano County - Benicia or Vallejo.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:11 PM

Hi, thank you for your reply. Ideally I would love to live in Oakland, to be closer to my stepdaughter. I am not working in Oakland per se. So I am open to surrounding areas, preferably within a 20 minute drive from Oakland. I have a friend who lives in Concord.. but that's farther out than I'd like to be. I just don't know the neighboring towns very well to know which are safe or decent. I don't need anything ritzy (because I am far from that!).

Old 03-17-2015, 06:27 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,785,557 times
The apartments in Jack London Square area are known for allowing pets .they are a bit expensive
One bedroom start $2300 at the allegro.
Oakland Luxury Apartments for Rent | Allegro at Jack London Square
There are other apartments in the area

Old 03-17-2015, 07:14 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Consider having a dog liability policy in hand to show a potential landlord, as your dog is on the dangerous breed list to boot:

Trouble Finding A Place To Rent Because Of Your Dog or Pit Bull?

Old 03-17-2015, 10:35 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Jack London square is very dog friendly. Probably your best bet in Oakland proper.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:18 PM

thank you for the information! I will definitely obtain dog liability insurance. hopefully that will help

Old 03-21-2015, 12:24 AM

833 posts, read 1,199,274 times
All the big companies usually except larger breeds. It's the small time owners that give you problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland