Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2015, 06:12 PM

5 posts, read 3,385 times

Advertisements

This is my first post here and I hope you can help me.

I've been living abroad since I was 5 and now I'm really willing to return to the US.

I have a cousin that lives in Milbrae and I'm thinking that I could count on him for my return, at least for a brief period of time, since I don't want to be a hassle.

The main problem is that I have a family of 4 (my mother in law included ), of which I'm the only North-American and will be the only one to have a job in the beginning of my new life! After this, I think that other 1 or 2 members will be able to contribute with their income as well.

Anyway, my main doubts are:

- what should be my overall income considering I'm the only one working to sustain all 4 members;
- since Milbrae is very expensive where should I look at to buy a house - I would like to live the closest possible to my cousin;
- how much a 3 bed, 2 baths house would cost.

I know it will be a very big step to take, but this will be a dream come true and I thank you for all the input you can give me!!!

I wish you all keep safe,

Colog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 07:14 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colog View Post

- what should be my overall income considering I'm the only one working to sustain all 4 members;
- since Milbrae is very expensive where should I look at to buy a house - I would like to live the closest possible to my cousin;
The cheapest resale 3 Bedroom, 2 bath house in Millbrae on Trulia today was only $1,188,000. It was listed only four days ago and will probably sell in a week.

Example house in Millbrae

Using a conservative 3x annual income rule for a home purchase one would need to make $396,000 per year. If one uses the insane 5x income rule then one would only need to make $237,600 per year.

Unless you are coming with a huge amount of cash for a down payment I would suggest relocating almost anywhere but the Bay area.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:36 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colog View Post
This is my first post here and I hope you can help me.

I've been living abroad since I was 5 and now I'm really willing to return to the US.

I have a cousin that lives in Milbrae and I'm thinking that I could count on him for my return, at least for a brief period of time, since I don't want to be a hassle.

The main problem is that I have a family of 4 (my mother in law included ), of which I'm the only North-American and will be the only one to have a job in the beginning of my new life! After this, I think that other 1 or 2 members will be able to contribute with their income as well.

Anyway, my main doubts are:

I know it will be a very big step to take, but this will be a dream come true and I thank you for all the input you can give me!!!

I wish you all keep safe,

Colog.

The only places that I could think of nearer to your cousin would be South San Francisco, San Bruno, or Brisbane. I just did a quick search of properties (to buy) and they are no less than 500k (those would be one bedrooms/ maybe two bedrooms. A three bedroom property in Brisbane are going for 700k! That's crazy!! Now those would be the least expensive towns!

Do you understand that this region is one of the most expensive places in the US to buy (or even rent) a house?

The only place that I can think of that MIGHT be less expensive is Hayward, San Leandro, Union City --and I may be wrong on that front. What kind of income do you think you'll be able to make? If this is something that you've been dreaming about, then you'll probably need to readjust your expectations a lot--one income, four people to support, can mean some really undesirable places to live.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Unless you are coming with a huge amount of cash for a down payment I would suggest relocating almost anywhere but the Bay area.
capoeira, thanks a lot for your quick reply. BTW, nice name. Does it have any kind of a meaning?

Could you give some suggestions of places where to look for a 3 bed, 2 bath house for about half the value you said?

Old 03-18-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
The only places that I could think of nearer to your cousin would be South San Francisco, San Bruno, or Brisbane. I just did a quick search of properties (to buy) and they are no less than 500k (those would be one bedrooms/ maybe two bedrooms. A three bedroom property in Brisbane are going for 700k! That's crazy!! Now those would be the least expensive towns!

Do you understand that this region is one of the most expensive places in the US to buy (or even rent) a house?

The only place that I can think of that MIGHT be less expensive is Hayward, San Leandro, Union City --and I may be wrong on that front. What kind of income do you think you'll be able to make? If this is something that you've been dreaming about, then you'll probably need to readjust your expectations a lot--one income, four people to support, can mean some really undesirable places to live.
Thanks a lot for the input. I think we were writing together, LOL!

Hmmm... I plan a visit later on this year to check the possibilities, but I surely wouldn't like to get in SF without any clues of where I'm stepping into and your post surely helped a lot.

I know that I'm willing to live in one of the most expensive places in the US, but I also think that some support would help a lot in the beginning.

I actually work with international business. Would that be a good pay in SF?

Thanks for your reply.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:59 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
It's a long way from your cousin, but Concord is still relatively affordable (by Bay Area standards). You could rent a 3 bd 2 bath house for 2k or thereabouts. You didn't mention where your job is, but at least there's a BART line (public transport into the City/Oakland/ etc).

I honestly don't know about the international business part- not sure about careers or have any clue as to what kind of career/pay to expect, however.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
It's a long way from your cousin, but Concord is still relatively affordable (by Bay Area standards). You could rent a 3 bd 2 bath house for 2k or thereabouts. You didn't mention where your job is, but at least there's a BART line (public transport into the City/Oakland/ etc).

I honestly don't know about the international business part- not sure about careers or have any clue as to what kind of career/pay to expect, however.
Thanks again... Concord seems to be nice.

I'll tell you a secret: I don't know either about the career and pay to expect for international business in San Francisco and surroundings, LOL! But I'll have to find it out quick once I'm in the area.

Thanks again!

Old 03-23-2015, 06:35 PM

Up...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland