U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 06:24 PM

3,254 posts, read 3,571,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Albany, El Cerrito and Fremont are actually very, very nice overall. Among the more desirable places in the entire Bay Area. Quite desirable at that. In fact, Fremont has one of the finest public high schools in the entire nation and all of these 3 have low crime.

Don't know how you formulate this list but Union City, Newark and Daly City arent really dangerous either.
I have friends in El Cerrito and there is crime there, they have been robbed 2x within the last year.

Union City has quite a few gangs as does Newark, Logan has had problems with gangs on campus. Not my thing.

I included some of these cities because their schools do not perform well. That is a factor for me.

Fremont has 1 good HS school. If you can afford to go live in Mission San Jose area then please do, but that is not the entire Fremont school district. It has some other decent schools but there is a lot of random crime there. I have friend who live there and they have random crime happenning to them. Mainly property crime.

Yeah Albany is ok. I would reconsider my choice in that one, parts of Concord are good, parts are not.

Last edited by Taboo2; 01-27-2009 at 06:33 PM..

Old 01-27-2009, 06:24 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,604,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
My actual residential neighborhood is a safe one, it is when you go out to the shopping malls and stores and restaurants that you have to pay attention to the criminal element.

I am not paranoid dear, I have lived here my entire life for the most part so i know what I speak of. I am brutally honest with my hometown's situations and the changes that have occured over the last 20 years or so. Everything I am concerned about has a very strong basis in the reality of living in the bay area.

Things are not the same when you have children in tow. You cannot just fight back when someone tries to harm you or steal your stuff. You cannot confront someone who is threatening you. You have little people with you and that hinders your ability to fight back and therefore makes you vulnerable and an easy MARK (or target to those of you unfamiliar with the term).

I don't pretend to NOT see the decline of personal values and crime that surrounds me and i am confused as to how people think that the level of crime we live with is acceptable.

People getting shot every other day is ok with you? That seems reasonable?
People getting assaulted and beaten and robbed constantly is just fine as long as you're not the victim?
Yes, it is usually thug on thug crime, but there are innocent people standing nearby who also get injured. I am finding the amount of incidents like these are becoming the norm rather than the rarity.

More and more it is becoming the guy walking to the store getting robbed for his wallet and usually there is a parting gunshot as a thank you. It is about the teenage thugs trying to intimidate people.

It gets tiring having to be hyper aware of your surrounding to make sure someone isn't coming to jack me and my car while i put the kids in their carseats. It' annoying and frankly just because i carry a weapon doesn't mean i would look forward to having to use it in front of them.

I wish that people were decent and that they could just restrain themselves and find other ways to make a living other than robbing people. I wish they had motivation and inspiration and ambition to be something other than a crook.

Yes, the less civilized, upstanding, tax paying members of society, residing in Alameda County the better off the leftovers like yourself will be right?

If you were really from this area, you would be able to see the way it USED to be compared to the way it is currently is. .
You're basically scared of Black or Brown people in baggy clothes. Just say it already. You're scared in the shopping malls, you're scared at restaurants. I mean where are you not scared outside of your house? I mean really.

Hyper aware of your surroundings? I really don't understand people like you at all, how Oakland used to be.? You never even lived in Oakland and you admitted it. You worked here. You're not a native or a resident. I'm 30 years old I'm not 60. I was born here. Not to mention I moved away to Queens New York for a while then came back. You think Oakland is bad? Don't go Back east. For your sake, if you're so scared of the Bay Area. I can't imagine you anywhere else other than hmmmm I have no idea.

Oakland has only changed for the positive. You Obviously never saw Oakland in the 80's during the Peak of the Crack epidemic. It's NOTHING like it was when I was growing up.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post
I don't know, I've driven through Fremont and there were things about it that looked pretty scary. I've lived in places where there are good parts right next to bad parts. The problem is that the people who wish you harm don't care about those boundaries. I have close friends who raised their kids in Fremont and worked as teachers in the school system until retirement and they want to move.
There is nothing scary about Fremont. Seriously.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:28 PM

913 posts, read 1,582,902 times
In your opinion. It sounds like there is a difference in comfort levels here. Since becoming a mother I am much more concerned with my surroundings. It just happens, to most of us. Maybe you will be the exception. You and I agree on many things City Boy, but this is not one of them.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALX8725 View Post
I second this, especially the Mission San Jose HS district of Fremont. This is a super safe neighborhood with very little crime. There are multi-million dollar homes in this district, children of silicon valley executives go to MSJHS and are pressured to do extremely well. MSJHS ranks up there with the finest public schools in Northern California, they send tons of kids to Cal/Stanford/etc. every year.
Yes and that is just one of the High Schools in the FUSD.
Fremont Unified School District schools, Fremont - CA: charter and public schools. Fremont school district - Fremont CA school district

So if I was able to move to mission SJ than i would, but since that is not likely right now, then i will not be considering fremont as a place to live.

The rest of the schools get a 6 -8 rating.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post
In your opinion. It sounds like there is a difference in comfort levels here. Since becoming a mother I am much more concerned with my surroundings. It just happens, to most of us. Maybe you will be the exception. You and I agree on many things City Boy, but this is not one of them.
I'm just trying to help you out and weed out the paranoia factor from the fear mongers on the board. Fremont has over 200 thousand people and is one of the safest cities in California. Fremont is actually one of the safest cities in the country.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
You're basically scared of Black or Brown people in baggy clothes. Just say it already. You're scared in the shopping malls, you're scared at restaurants. I mean where are you not scared outside of your house? I mean really.
Nope but thanks for profling me.

My mall has had NUMEROUS shootings. It's about the crime that can happen to innocent people. In order to protect my family we have to be AWARE of what is going on around us. The restaurants i go to are usually safe, but there have been shootings at some of my fave's as well.

IT wasn't bad until people started shooting at people where crowds have gathered (think back to the mc hammer kool moe dee concert at the coliseum in 89- i was there and there was a riot inside- not that you were there). Guns and crowds don't MIX.

Quote:

Hyper aware of your surroundings? I really don't understand people like you at all, how Oakland used to be.? You never even lived in Oakland and you admitted it. You worked here. You're not a native or a resident.
AND I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT OAKLAND GENIUS. I AM TALKING ABOUT THE BAY AREA IN GENERAL.

WHO THE HELL MENTIONED OAKLAND IN THIS THREAD??? NOT ME.

YOU GOT OAKLAND ON THE BRAIN and it's all YOU know about.

Quote:
I'm 30 years old I'm not 60. I was born here. Not to mention I moved away to Queens New York for a while then came back. You think Oakland is bad? Don't go Back east. For your sake, if you're so scared of the Bay Area. I can't imagine you anywhere else other than hmmmm I have no idea.
I am not talking about OAKLAND and you are so out of your element you don't know what to do. I haven't referred to OAKLAND UNTIL NOW!

I lived on W. 113th and Amsterdam in NYC. That is 3 blocks from HARLEM FRIEND.
I've lived back east, and i didn't have kids then so it wasn't a big thing.

Quote:
Oakland has only changed for the positive. You Obviously never saw Oakland in the 80's during the Peak of the Crack epidemic. It's NOTHING like it was when I was growing up.
WHO the hell is talking about OAKLAND?? Boy that really is ALL you know about. RIGHT so all those losers who Used to be in Oakland have spread into the other areas of the bay.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:42 PM

2,987 posts, read 4,827,580 times
El Cerrito does have some crime problems & is just too close to Richmond for me and isn't how it use to be. Albany is really nice but the public schools are not good. While I am not a big fan of Oakland it has gotten a lot better over the last 10 years.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Nope but thanks for profling me.

My mall has had NUMEROUS shootings. It's about the crime that can happen to innocent people. In order to protect my family we have to be AWARE of what is going on around us. The restaurants i go to are usually safe, but there have been shootings at some of my fave's as well.

IT wasn't bad until people started shooting at people where crowds have gathered (think back to the mc hammer kool moe dee concert at the coliseum in 89- i was there and there was a riot inside- not that you were there). Guns and crowds don't MIX.

AND I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT OAKLAND GENIUS. I AM TALKING ABOUT THE BAY AREA IN GENERAL.

WHO THE HELL MENTIONED OAKLAND IN THIS THREAD??? NOT ME.

YOU GOT OAKLAND ON THE BRAIN and it's all YOU know about.

I am not talking about OAKLAND and you are so out of your element you don't know what to do. I haven't referred to OAKLAND UNTIL NOW!

I lived on W. 113th and Amsterdam in NYC. That is 3 blocks from HARLEM FRIEND.
I've lived back east, and i didn't have kids then so it wasn't a big thing.

WHO the hell is talking about OAKLAND?? Boy that really is ALL you know about. RIGHT so all those losers who Used to be in Oakland have spread into the other areas of the bay.
Oh so now the Bay Area is all the same? You see where I'm from and you try to tell me I must have not lived here long to know how it was. Then where were you talking about? "The Bay Area has 7 million people. The entire "Bay Area" is not the same. So again I'm talking about Oakland because you're talking about ME LIVING in a place. I LIVE in Oakland not all 50+ Cities in the Bay Area which you think are one big city "Genius".

But since you seem to think the entire Bay Area is the same then who's the real smart one here. Again you're a paranoid sarcastic transplant resident that thinks you know everything.

So you lived 3 blocks from Harlem now but you think the Bay Area and it's schools are horrible? Yeah you lived near Harlem just like you think the Bay Area has no Racism. You are a joke.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:54 PM

913 posts, read 1,582,902 times
When I looked up the elementary schools in Albany on the performance map, they were all 10's. California School Performance Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland