U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 11:28 AM

272 posts, read 550,378 times

Advertisements

Moved out last year.....after several thousand years in the Bay Area....at least that's what it felt like....
The deciding factor...even above the twisted diseased [staph infected] "life-style" of the Bay Area was the cost...

Small cottage "house" ..just under 900 sq. feet....with....no garage....no front yard...no attic....no basement...no storage....no drive way....[that's right...on street parking only...]....microscopic back yard.....All for JUST 550,000.00$.....

Oh...almost forgot the termite special!.....Busted out windows and 'mushy' floors decked over with 3/4" ply....TODAY ONLY FOR......625,000.00$!!! [Granted it did have a yard....complete with old tires......]

Oh....such a DEAL!!!

Last edited by Coffee Mate; 01-16-2008 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: ....munch....munch.....burp.....munch....YO!

Old 01-16-2008, 01:35 PM

73 posts, read 288,343 times
I've come to the conclusion that, unless you make 120k a year, or unless you have family that'll lend you money for a house, it's not worth living here.

We are also considering Portland, I've heard that you have to go there with a job though, the job market is tough.

I think the thing that keeps us here is opportunity, the Bay Area is full of it.

But where are those "fairly liberal, well-educated, down-to-earth good people"? I think they are all moving on, they can't live in this rat race.

Besides, the S.F. suburbs are pretty conservative. I grew up here and now am married with kids, once you get outside of the city it's pretty uptight. Does anyone know what the Portland suburbs are like? We are thinking of moving to Lake Oswego.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:46 PM

14 posts, read 135,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcking View Post
We are also considering Portland, I've heard that you have to go there with a job though, the job market is tough.

But where are those "fairly liberal, well-educated, down-to-earth good people"? I think they are all moving on, they can't live in this rat race.
Have friends from SF who moved up to Portland last year. They're the kind of liberal, well-educated, down-to-earth good people that made this place great. They love it up there.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:40 PM

73 posts, read 288,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampmiller View Post
Have friends from SF who moved up to Portland last year. They're the kind of liberal, well-educated, down-to-earth good people that made this place great. They love it up there.
Are they freezing up there? My husband is scared to death that he'll be shoveling snow all winter.

Weather aside, I think quality of life seems much better up there. At least we could afford vacations every year. Hawaii!!

Old 01-16-2008, 03:09 PM

6 posts, read 30,975 times
OMG!!!!!! I had the same problem as you!!!And I grew up in the bay area and I whent back once I was old enough to mave away.Being single and all I couldn't afford it but I do miss the fog and moutains afert all I do live in florida so now even a rock seems like a moutain to us.But I really miss it but for me in the long run it was better.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:37 PM

7,622 posts, read 10,686,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcking View Post
Are they freezing up there? My husband is scared to death that he'll be shoveling snow all winter.

Weather aside, I think quality of life seems much better up there. At least we could afford vacations every year. Hawaii!!
Tell him to buy a snow thrower/blower.... Snow Joe 622 - Electric (19") 13.5-Amp Snow Thrower @ Snow Blowers Direct.com

Couldn't resist -- my Dad was a distributor for years back east... he loved playing with it...

Old 01-16-2008, 04:56 PM

19 posts, read 33,102 times
Default ready to go soon...

I agree with many of the postings here! My life in California has been a love/hate relationship. The cost of a home is too ridiculous. The only way I see folks affording one is to have 8 relatives move in with them. The others I see: have been able to get on section 8 and sit on a housing list for years until a low-income development gets erected; and others were lucky enough to sell off ancient family heirlooms in order to move here from their home countries; or were lucky enough to sell off their Google stocks. I also see a large amount of hard working people going through bankruptcy and foreclosures right now. A lender convinced them they could bite off more than they can chew to get a house, and now they are suffering. I moved here over 10 years ago from the east (Pennsylvania) because my fiance's job transferred him here. Now, we're ready to get out. Yes, it's beautiful here, but it can't be enjoyed if you're working all the time. My dream is to have a very large building as a live/work place. Will never find one here for under a million...and my son will soon be looking to venture out in the world, but will need to stay with us longer since rent is way out of a normal paid person's league.
Bye Bye Hotel California...

Old 01-16-2008, 04:59 PM

6,188 posts, read 11,643,789 times
It still amazes me that those of you that can't deal with the high bay area prices think you have to leave CA in order to enjoy life. I live close enough to the bay area to visit it anytime I want (even a day trip) yet I get to see the stars (all of them) and the only traffic hazard is deer in the roadway.

May you all land in the land of happiness, wherever that may be.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:18 PM

272 posts, read 550,378 times
Can't deal with the prices?....Yup....Bank account.....ZERO....cost of "house" 500 thousand dollars.....so YUP I can't "deal" with the prices....

Midwest.....acreage....huge house.....extra buildings......great services...very low crime....[no tweekers even!] all under 300K.....

Old 01-16-2008, 05:30 PM

19 posts, read 33,102 times
Well, I do know several folks who were able to afford a home. They bought houses in Tracy, Modesto, and Livermore and commute each day to jobs into SF, Fremont, and San Jose. Not sure why they can't work closer to their houses, but at least they can see the scenery each day during their commute. Most then stay home as much as possible when not working since they used up the rest of their funds on gas and tolls. Funny how my one girlfriend carpools with her husband from Tracy - she works in Fremont, and he in Palo Alto. They drop off the baby in Mountain View to daycare. They pack their dinner with their lunch and eat dinner each day in the car on the commute home...but they own (paying on) their house, so must be very happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland