Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 04:32 PM

7 posts, read 29,023 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of choosing a T-Mobile connection - with 2 year contract. Before doing so, I would like to know how is the signal strength and call quality while using T-Mobile. Does it work fine in Bay Area - especially around SF and San Jose?

T-Mobile subscribers, can you please advise??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 05:25 PM

141 posts, read 534,850 times
I've found t-mobile to have some dead spots where others, especially Verizon, are still functional. That would be mostly around the South Bay Area. Also, there are dead spots in little towns at base of Sierras where other networks work. Generally though the quality is excellent. TM is probably 3rd tier cell phone provider in Bay Area but is gaining ground.

Signal strength is also more determined by your phone and not by the provider. Blackberrys have good antennas... talk to a sales rep for more info.

The good thing about TM is that they use a SIM card so you can take your phone to another country, swap out the SIM card for a local one, and you'll save money on local calls in that country. Mostly Europe I think.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:53 PM

16 posts, read 102,643 times
I recently moved to San Jose. I got a prepaid account from T-Mobile to get me going with a cellphone service. It only cost me $10 so I figured it would do while I researched other cellphone service options. I have not been satisfied with T-Mobile coverage. I am finding it to be really spotty. I swapped my SIM card with a pal to see if it was my phone that was the problem but his phone (a top of the range Palm Treo) showed bad coverage with the T-mobile sim also (his AT+T service has good coverage apparently). I am around SJ and Cupertino mostly and this is where I have found t-mobile coverage unreliable. That's just my experience of course. Thanks for starting a useful topic thread.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:28 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writeme View Post
I am thinking of choosing a T-Mobile connection - with 2 year contract. Before doing so, I would like to know how is the signal strength and call quality while using T-Mobile. Does it work fine in Bay Area - especially around SF and San Jose?

I stay pretty local around Oakland/Alameda, if I'm anywhere else I'm with hubby and he has his phone. I've been happy with T-mobile, but the biggest reason I got it was for work in San Leandro. The electrician in the building I clean has it and he said it was really good from there. And it is --I never have a problem there or home. I have a Razr, if that makes a difference. I bought it because it was deep pink.

I am not a techno-person. I bought my USB extra drive-y thing because it was teal.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:01 PM

256 posts, read 1,403,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writeme View Post

Signal strength and call quality is pretty good but go with AT&T is the way to go I can't wait to get out of my tmobile contract they are horrible to deal with

Old 01-15-2008, 04:23 PM

62 posts, read 376,924 times
We have one year left with our T-Mobile contract... it can't come soon enough to DUMP! We left Cingular/At&t a couple of years ago and went with T-M cause the coverage was supposed to be so grand! it was back then... was better than the coverage we got with At&t.. the last 6 mos or so it's been HORRIBLE... my hubby can't get service inside his office unless he's standing by the window.... and we've noticed that a lot of places we used to get service we can't now... don't know why... and our razr phones are CRAP! hubby's battery lasts half the time mine does... we went in to talk about it and of course were given the runaround... so come next Dec 27 we are going back to At&t/Cingular.... my kids have that and they say it's gotten much better in the last couple of years...

Old 02-07-2008, 03:17 PM

2 posts, read 5,663 times
Default T-Mobile Not Honoring their own rates on website-Hiding the truth from their consumers!

[SIZE=3]This is for those that are tired of getting stuck with charges that don't belong to them. I noticed my T-Mobile bill going up in price each month, so today, being tired of paying more than what I signed on for, I started to do some research on our bills. Apparently T-Mobile raised the price of our text messaging WITHOUT informing us. We have kept every single piece of paper T-Mobile has sent to us over the last two years...we use one of the phones for business so we had to keep any and all documentation for expense reports and taxes. We never received any "insert". On top of this, for the last year of our service, we have had dropped calls, static on the lines, no service, etc. We have called many times to get the technical problems resolved-even went as far as purchasing new phones (at full cost) for both lines and replacing sim cards-and still-the service is below par. As far as the texting goes-I did my research and then looked at our plan online...I signed in, clicked on "Plans", went to the bottom of the window and clicked on "See Other Included Services", went to the bottom of the next screen and clicked on "More Information About Services", On the next page...First paragraph under the heading "ALL PLANS" If you read the first couple of lines-you will see that T-Mobile themselves say that text messages are only supposed to be 5 cents a text. This is for ALL PLANS-Not just for mine. Yet they are charging everyone more! As far as I am concerned-this is deplorable-and earns them MILLIONS of dollars a month!!!!! A month-not a year or more. Think on it-every one of their customers is paying more than what they say they actually are charging. I called T-mobile and explained that we were very unhappy with the service and now we find out that our Text cost went up. I spoke to a lady and explained what I found on their website and started to ask why they were charging me more than they themselves state the charge is supposed to be. And here I have been paying more for TWO YEARS!!! She said this was a tax, I said no it isn't-read the paragraph. She put me on hold for a few minutes. When she came back, I asked what would they do for me since I have been paying more than required for 2 years. She didn’t know-so I asked for a supervisor. It took a few minutes-but I got one. . She came back and actually thanked me for finding the "typo". She couldn’t believe that no one had found it before. She even confirmed the “typo” with her supervisor and then their business department. When I did get the supervisor, she was very defensive. I wasn’t-I was actually pretty nice. I explain everything again, and I ask her-what was T-Mobile going to do for me since I have been paying over their own rates for the last two years. She states that she has documentation that we received the insert explaining about the Text rate change. She stated that I HAD to have received the insert. I told her I was more than willing to send her every paper I had for the last two years, it isn’t here. Unless I signed it and gave it back (which if I had received it and they had asked me to at the time-I probably would have), she cannot say I received it. I am not a dishonest person-I would take a lie detector test to prove we never received it. She refused to give any-she only offered me a rate of .10 cents for our texts for the last month, but as of right now-I am officially notified that my rate of texts from here on out would be 15 cents per text. I couldn’t believe she said that-I repeated ”So you are saying, as of right now-you are officially notifying me?” She said yes. If that is the case-I should be able to cancel my contract because I am just now officially informed of my text rate change, and since we are still having service problems after trying everything they suggested, we no longer want to keep the service. We especially don’t feel that we should have to pay even more for services that we are not happy with. She said no-and I said-but you stated yourself that people had 30 days from the time of discovery to cancel their contracts without an ETF if they did not approve of the rate change, and you just “OFFICIALLY” let me know of my rate change. She started to get a little more rude now and told me she could not waive the ETF. I explained that this didn’t make sense, from what she herself said in the beginning of the conversation. We keep going round in circles repeating the same points of view. I asked to speak to her supervisor. She told me they weren’t there but she would have them call me. I have “print screened” the page with the 5 cent text rate-with the date of 2-6-2008, so they can’t say it didn’t exist. If 5 cents per text was on their site and I saw it-they should honor it, and have it retro-active for the last 2 years. I just feel that they are cheating everyone, and they aren’t even letting anyone know about it. We shall see what happens. [/SIZE]

Old 02-07-2008, 03:23 PM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
people get really bent outta shape over their call quality. For me its not a big deal as I rarely have this problem with ATT.

I know people who use MetroPCS and seem to be just happy with their coverage too, I might even be inclined to switch to MetroPCS were it not for the fact that it doesnt work anywhere outside of their coverage areas which according to their website is SF/ Sac, LA area, most of Florida, Metro Atlanta, DFW Metroplex and Metro Detroit.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:45 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
Pay full price for the phone so you don't have to get a contract. Generally a good idea anyway.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:10 PM

141 posts, read 534,850 times
You never purchased a text messaging plan from t-mobile so you have to pay whatever rate they charge. Your only argument is a typo, which is annoying, but has no legal implications for t-mobile or any company for that matter. I think it was nice they gave you a break.

Add a text plan to your contract! It's only like $5 for 300 messages, $10 for 500, $20 for unlimited. You can cancel anytime and not have to deal with such trivial matters anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewely1781 View Post
[SIZE=3]This is for those that are tired of getting stuck with charges that don't belong to them. I noticed my T-Mobile bill going up in price each month, so today, being tired of paying more than what I signed on for, I started to do some research on our bills. Apparently T-Mobile raised the price of our text messaging WITHOUT informing us. We have kept every single piece of paper T-Mobile has sent to us over the last two years...we use one of the phones for business so we had to keep any and all documentation for expense reports and taxes. We never received any "insert". On top of this, for the last year of our service, we have had dropped calls, static on the lines, no service, etc. We have called many times to get the technical problems resolved-even went as far as purchasing new phones (at full cost) for both lines and replacing sim cards-and still-the service is below par. As far as the texting goes-I did my research and then looked at our plan online...I signed in, clicked on "Plans", went to the bottom of the window and clicked on "See Other Included Services", went to the bottom of the next screen and clicked on "More Information About Services", On the next page...First paragraph under the heading "ALL PLANS" If you read the first couple of lines-you will see that T-Mobile themselves say that text messages are only supposed to be 5 cents a text. This is for ALL PLANS-Not just for mine. Yet they are charging everyone more! As far as I am concerned-this is deplorable-and earns them MILLIONS of dollars a month!!!!! A month-not a year or more. Think on it-every one of their customers is paying more than what they say they actually are charging. I called T-mobile and explained that we were very unhappy with the service and now we find out that our Text cost went up. I spoke to a lady and explained what I found on their website and started to ask why they were charging me more than they themselves state the charge is supposed to be. And here I have been paying more for TWO YEARS!!! She said this was a tax, I said no it isn't-read the paragraph. She put me on hold for a few minutes. When she came back, I asked what would they do for me since I have been paying more than required for 2 years. She didn’t know-so I asked for a supervisor. It took a few minutes-but I got one. . She came back and actually thanked me for finding the "typo". She couldn’t believe that no one had found it before. She even confirmed the “typo” with her supervisor and then their business department. When I did get the supervisor, she was very defensive. I wasn’t-I was actually pretty nice. I explain everything again, and I ask her-what was T-Mobile going to do for me since I have been paying over their own rates for the last two years. She states that she has documentation that we received the insert explaining about the Text rate change. She stated that I HAD to have received the insert. I told her I was more than willing to send her every paper I had for the last two years, it isn’t here. Unless I signed it and gave it back (which if I had received it and they had asked me to at the time-I probably would have), she cannot say I received it. I am not a dishonest person-I would take a lie detector test to prove we never received it. She refused to give any-she only offered me a rate of .10 cents for our texts for the last month, but as of right now-I am officially notified that my rate of texts from here on out would be 15 cents per text. I couldn’t believe she said that-I repeated ”So you are saying, as of right now-you are officially notifying me?” She said yes. If that is the case-I should be able to cancel my contract because I am just now officially informed of my text rate change, and since we are still having service problems after trying everything they suggested, we no longer want to keep the service. We especially don’t feel that we should have to pay even more for services that we are not happy with. She said no-and I said-but you stated yourself that people had 30 days from the time of discovery to cancel their contracts without an ETF if they did not approve of the rate change, and you just “OFFICIALLY” let me know of my rate change. She started to get a little more rude now and told me she could not waive the ETF. I explained that this didn’t make sense, from what she herself said in the beginning of the conversation. We keep going round in circles repeating the same points of view. I asked to speak to her supervisor. She told me they weren’t there but she would have them call me. I have “print screened” the page with the 5 cent text rate-with the date of 2-6-2008, so they can’t say it didn’t exist. If 5 cents per text was on their site and I saw it-they should honor it, and have it retro-active for the last 2 years. I just feel that they are cheating everyone, and they aren’t even letting anyone know about it. We shall see what happens. [/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland