Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 02:50 AM

374 posts, read 452,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblueshea View Post
If you want me to be honest, in San Francisco, I think the racism comes from the Asian population more than it does the white population. The Asians who move to California have a very limited exposure to blacks whereas New York, Seattle, etc are melting pots so even though there are places sectioned off, everyone still interacts. I haven't faced much blatant racism from Asians in New York or Chicago, but the ones in California (North and South) have been overly exposed to American media which casts blacks in a negative light. The Asians on the east coast seem to understand institutionalized racism and know what's going on.

I am including Indians when I say Asians as well.

There is a new money mentality on the west coast and American blacks are not included although America was built off of the backs of poor white farmers, blacks and Native-American bloodshed. To be VERY fair, for the most part, poor whites (I mean actually poor, not lower-middle class) are very rarely included either.
I can explain the historical aspects of why (but I shouldn't have to) Africans are included though, if they so choose
Hahaha, okay, that's very strange. Last time I checked, Asians and Blacks clashed the most in New York riots and L.A. riots, can't remember too many riots between blacks and Asians in San Francisco. I know a crime spree on Asians by blacks sprung some tension back in 2007, but that's about it. Asians in the Bay Area don't concern themselves with anyone who they perceive not to be of interest or work hard, they have a long established history in San Francisco. They are the "black race" of the Bay Area, in the sense that they're the immediate minority, not black people.

My Asian friends (mostly the foreigners, the American born never had issues with) merely wanted to know why blacks might act in certain ways. It's not media, it's what they see. Asians in New York just seem to put up with it, to be honest, and don't dare question but keep to themselves. Asians in the Bay Area actually have a podium so they cannot be silenced as easily. I actually made attempts to understand foreign cultures local to me, rather than feeling victimized as a black person because every race in the world didn't immediately yield to my presence and my race's history.

But then again, generalizing racial groups is racist so I'm starting to think this thread was doomed from the start. Go live in Detroit or the South if black people make you feel comfortable. Oakland might be too diverse and open for you to understand, or go live in New York where everything is just swept under the rug. You attempt to live here, and you'll be challenged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Just for the record folks, she lives down in SoCal, NOT the Bay Area...
Yeah, obviously. That Asian stuff is pretty funny, coming from the land of the L.a. riots.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblueshea View Post
I am responding to multiple comments

Also for the people who keep advocating for Oakland (O4kl4nd). Please stop! I have been to the Bay Area far more than once (probably more than you guys have been other places) and I have been to Oakland plenty of times. One of my parent's jobs requires they fly up to San Francisco once every month and has friends who own restaurants and buildings. The living costs in the surrounding areas are lower yes, but they are not nearly as beautiful as San Francisco. I wouldn't live in Cupertino, Sunnyvale, etc, either because I find it extremely boring. I can make compromises but if the place is not absolutely gorgeous I need a lot of activities around. The Bay Area lacks activity, whereas San Francisco doesn't. I have friends who complain they are bored and they switch jobs in the hopes it will solve their boredom. There are gorgeous places in Bay Area but they are not "that" close to Silicon Valley. And yes I'm spoiled because I am saying this as I sit in a loft in La Jolla.
Very doubtful you've been to Oakland or, at least the East Bay. You sound so obnoxious entitled, I really hope you don't move here, we don't need more transplants with zero knowledge of the Bay Area beyond Market st. and the Inner Mission, telling locals what they supposedly know. How is Berkeley, or neighborhoods like Lake Merritt, Rockridge/College Ave. or Telegraph boring? You've never been to these places because you know nothing about them.

Hundreds of thousands are rushing to the Bay Area's high-intellectual market, and yet we've managed to only be interesting in the City? You've been here once, don't lie. You rode the cable cars live everyone else. Yeah, the South Bay is mostly boring, but to say the whole area lacks activity? Yeah, what did you expect hanging out in wealthy suburbs, nothing going on, and you should know all about that, being from SoCal and all.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:02 PM

102,063 posts, read 106,870,458 times
The East Bay has plenty going on. (A big reason why I'd hoped to move back.) Oakland has beautiful neighborhoods, with tree-lined streets, parks, and views of the Bay. Hard to beat that, even in SF. There are plenty of high achievers there, in the demographic the OP is looking to date. If the OP could get used to the idea of living in the East Bay and commuting to the city, it could be a good fit. Yet, something is still missing for her. She says her friends have told her all about the Bay Area, so she's dubious. If so, there's not much more we can do for her. She can make up her own mind.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:39 PM

6,400 posts, read 8,225,777 times
It's pretty obvious she already has made up her mind, so again, why even ask in the first place? Attention? Seems kinda pointless, if you ask me.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:47 PM

24,324 posts, read 26,701,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Wow, you seem like a delight.

You obviously asked a question expecting people to tell you exactly what you want to hear, so while you're up on that high horse of yours, go on and trot off to wherever you will. It's not like SF needs more people anyway.
There are so many people on City-Data that do this lol. They post a question, but have already made up their mind and just want to hear others agree with them. When that doesn't happen the passive aggressive crying begins.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:18 PM

540 posts, read 648,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Nope. White as day. Oddly enough though, whenever women hit on me (which happens more frequently than you'd think), it's usually black women. Back when I waited tables and bartended, they were some of my highest tippers
lol

Old 04-10-2015, 03:02 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,238,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjohnyang View Post
SF metro actually has a slightly higher percentage of blacks than Greater Boston (8.4% versus 7.3%).
No, it doesn't. You're doing "SF" not the "Bay Area". The Bay Area has a significantly lower proportion of blacks than any other U.S. metro. It's quite obvious to those of us who have lived in other metros.

Old 04-10-2015, 03:23 PM

18,960 posts, read 32,424,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
No, it doesn't. You're doing "SF" not the "Bay Area". The Bay Area has a significantly lower proportion of blacks than any other U.S. metro. It's quite obvious to those of us who have lived in other metros.
The Bay Area has a higher % of blacks than LA, Phoenix, San Diego, Seattle, Minneapolis, and Boston.

List of U.S. metropolitan areas with large African-American populations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-10-2015, 04:39 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,694,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The Bay Area has a higher % of blacks than LA, Phoenix, San Diego, Seattle, Minneapolis, and Boston.

List of U.S. metropolitan areas with large African-American populations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Those are the metros with the smallest numbers of Black people and are well known for that.

NYC, Philly, DC, Atlanta are more "familiar" to many people. When my family left the south, about 90% ended up in NYC, DC or Rochester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland