Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2008, 07:01 PM

16 posts, read 59,580 times

Advertisements

Hello,

What is the morning and afternoon rush hour like from Oakland to Walnut Creek and back?

Can anyone help me out? Much thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 08:59 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,380,777 times
I avoid it/driving whenever possible in commute traffic. I've never been there without a rush hour slowdown.

The bottleneck is the Caldecott Tunnel which has 3 bores. The middle bore alternates direction with the commute traffic.

At one time, alternating the middle tunnel worked quite well. The Governor was there last year to kick-off the construction of a 4th bore... which should help when it is completed in 2012???

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 07-12-2013 at 10:26 AM..

Old 01-18-2008, 07:51 AM

16 posts, read 59,580 times
Default Bart

Thanks for the response...what is your opinion of using BART to commute from Lake Merritt area to WC? Would it take the same time/more time/less time than driving?

Old 01-18-2008, 10:27 AM

77 posts, read 473,096 times
Going from Lake Merritt to Walnut Creek involves changing trains at MacArthur station. Actual train time is 8 minutes from Lake Merritt to MacArthur and 18 minutes from MacArthur to Walnut Creek. Wait time between trains can vary, sometimes the train you want is waiting, sometimes not. In my opinion, I would avoid commuting in either direction during commute hours.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:41 AM

15,630 posts, read 26,107,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff52172 View Post
Thanks for the response...what is your opinion of using BART to commute from Lake Merritt area to WC? Would it take the same time/more time/less time than driving?
When I left the corporate world, driving the opposite commute (from Oakland to Walnut Creek) during commute times wasn't TOO awful. But that was 10 years ago.

BART took a little longer, but not much -- but it was more expensive than driving. Depends on your parking.

BUT -- There are couple of shortcuts. (At least there were then) If you go on Highway 13, and the back up to the 24 ramp is bad -- bypass it, go up to Tunnel Road and use the over pass to the on ramp that's right at the mouth of the tunnel. Usually the drivers are starting to move by then. A totally legal move.

ON the way home -- when you near the Caldecott, stay in the right lane... the Gateway Exit lane. Get off at Gateway, turn left at the stop sign and get right back on the freeway -- you bypass a lot of traffic and you keep moving (I know that's a not nice thing to do...but it keep you moving) You also have the option of getting off a Fish Ranch Rd, if the tunnel isn't moving quickly. At that stop, turn right and go up the hill. At the next stop go straight and down the hill -- you'll end up behind the Claremont Hotel and take a left at the stop, another left at the light and you're on 13 in Berkeley/Oakland heading towards the freeway portion.... and you've totally bypassed the tunnel entirely.

Now -- the coming home portion isn't a time saver, but I liked doing it for a change anyway.... moving is better than sitting in traffic.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:46 PM

10 posts, read 57,722 times
I do that commute on a regular basis. It really is not too bad. On peak commute times (7 am to 9 am) it takes anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes. If there is an accident, it can take over an hour. During off hours (after 7 pm or so) it only takes about 20 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland