Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2015, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 684 times

Advertisements

Do California unemployment benefits end immediately upon getting a new job? That is, if you're collecting unemployment, accept a job and then find out the job is not for you, can you quit and go back to collecting unemployment?

Thanks for any help. Can't get through to the unemployment office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 02:28 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,779,190 times
How about continue working in a job you don't like until you find something different like the rest of the working population.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:38 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,958,661 times
No, you do not receive unemployment when you choose to quit.

Eligibility

Old 05-06-2015, 05:01 PM

520 posts, read 606,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post

Eligibility
Gee, thanks Obama!

Old 05-06-2015, 07:36 PM

629 posts, read 616,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
How about continue working in a job you don't like until you find something different like the rest of the working population.
Exactly. Ridiculous, but not at all surprising attitude that is so prevalent these days. Stupid thread.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:42 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,216,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post

Eligibility
Incorrect.

You can indeed receive unemployment if you quit a job...however to quit just because you don't like the job will not result in being eligible for benefits.

Quitting for other valid reasons can render a person eligible.
State law provides that an individual who quits his/her job may be eligible for UI benefits provided there was “good cause” for leaving employment, and the individual made all reasonable attempts to keep their job (e.g., request of leave of absence or transfer).Once all reasonable alternatives to leaving have been attempted, good cause may include situations such as leaving work due to unsafe working conditions, leaving work based on a medical doctor’s advice, or leaving work to protect oneself or one’s child from domestic violence.
Eligibility

Old 05-06-2015, 07:51 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,413,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Incorrect.

You can indeed receive unemployment if you quit a job...however to quit just because you don't like the job will not result in being eligible for benefits.

Quitting for other valid reasons can render a person eligible.
Correct. In my ute (hoping someone gets that reference), I quit a job at Radio Shack, because they lied to me about being hired directly as a store manager - they pulled the switch on the day I started and said I had to be on 100% commission for at least 6 weeks (up to 6 months) before they'd move me into the store manager role. I quit and filed for unemployment, they had 30 days to respond and I presume they didn't, because I then began getting unemployment checks.

It only lasted a few months as I was busting ass to find something. Thankfully, that entry level credit union job turned into the industry I made a career out of.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:01 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,216,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
Correct. In my ute (hoping someone gets that reference), I quit a job at Radio Shack, because they lied to me about being hired directly as a store manager - they pulled the switch on the day I started and said I had to be on 100% commission for at least 6 weeks (up to 6 months) before they'd move me into the store manager role. I quit and filed for unemployment, they had 30 days to respond and I presume they didn't, because I then began getting unemployment checks.

It only lasted a few months as I was busting ass to find something. Thankfully, that entry level credit union job turned into the industry I made a career out of.
I also quit a job after 3 days based on a huge discrepancy with respect to the job description that I was hired to do. I thankfully was able to receive unemployment as well.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:23 PM

42,753 posts, read 25,971,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashystyle View Post
Gee, thanks Obama!
thanks Obama?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland