Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 09:57 PM

620 posts, read 1,198,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm confused, your dad works 100 hours a week you work part time, and your mom works part time and your combined income was 22K? Why isn't he drawing Social Security? And haven't you applied for pell grants and cal grants?

I'm not doubting you, but maybe you should get out a piece of paper and add up all your sources of income (and potential sources of income) and see if maybe you can afford more than you think you can?
Well my education is completely paid for,I'm haven't paid a penny out of pocket for it in two years. My mom works part time but she's a stingy woman lol. And my dad is a cab driver, he works 50 hours a week. I work on the weekends but I haven't been to work in a month because I tore my PCL in basketball practice about a month ago, I should be returning soon though. But my dad usually doesn't accept my money anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 12:07 AM

79 posts, read 111,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaDave View Post
Well my education is completely paid for,I'm haven't paid a penny out of pocket for it in two years. My mom works part time but she's a stingy woman lol. And my dad is a cab driver, he works 50 hours a week. I work on the weekends but I haven't been to work in a month because I tore my PCL in basketball practice about a month ago, I should be returning soon though. But my dad usually doesn't accept my money anyway.
So what is it? 100hrs/wk or 50hrs/wk? Sorry to say, but your whole story smells like BS. Any full time cab driver in the bay area will make way more than $20k/yr.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:22 AM

620 posts, read 1,198,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fueler View Post
So what is it? 100hrs/wk or 50hrs/wk? Sorry to say, but your whole story smells like BS. Any full time cab driver in the bay area will make way more than $20k/yr.
Uhhh, no he won't. My dad has been one for three years. He works ten hours a day 5 days a week. I just saw the typo. It's not 20 hours a day lol.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:59 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
If your income is as low as you claim you are still eligible for Pell grants and probably Cal Grants.They cover living expenses as well as tuition.. Once again, why isn't your dad (and possibly your mom) getting Social Security? And your mom being 'stingy' doesn't allow her to leave her income off of a HUD housing application. From the way this sounds I think your chances of getting HUD housing is about zero, they aren't going to just take your word for how much money your family brings in, you will need to provide tax returns, bank statements, etc.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:14 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I have to question the math or accuracy of your post. If your father works that many hours, even if that $22k was solely from his income he would be making less than $4.60/hour, about half the minimum wage. At his age, even minimal Social Security would be over $12,000/year. At CA minimum wage plus that SS amount his income would be over $52,000 before any earnings by you or your mother.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:07 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
You can be whatever you want on the internet, just be consistent or you will end up looking quite foolish

"I am considering Nashville, 18 year old black male lol. I have family somewhere in Nashville, not sure what part of town. I like the city atmosphere and vibe, I am thinking of moving. My budget is going to be around 700 dollars for an apartment/room. I need a YOUNG place. Don't want to be the only young guy in my neighborhood. I am not too picky, as long as its a funky young area. (Think Berkeley, CA, sorry thats my best reference). I don't think I will be bringing my car should I happen to move, my bike has always been there for me. Thanks in advance."
http://www.city-data.com/forum/nashv...-american.html

and here you said this:

"I like girls, food, and alcohol. But Im not a total waste of life, I do want to get educated someday. But I just want to have some fun as my Afghani parents have been extremely oppressive their whole lives and I am finally free." http://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...me-19-a-5.html
In that thread another CD poster called you out for being a troll and quoted another post in which you claimed that your culture "Afghanistan" requires you to live with your parents for life.

I'm always glad to try to answer people's questions - I even do research for them that in many cases that they could and should have done themselves, but I don't like being played.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland