Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it underated
Yes 14 34.15%
No 27 65.85%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 06:53 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
As a place for the ultra wealthy to live and as a tourist destination?
I guess I'm confused as to what "outer East Bay" means. I'm in Lafayette which to me seems more like Inner East Bay since it's nowhere near someplace like Brentwood, Antioch, Pittsburg--or even further out like Pleasanton and Livermore. My town is 15 minutes away from San Francisco (when there's no traffic--like a Sunday morning, for example). Closer actually than San Mateo (again--when there's no traffic ((RARE!!)) and even Hayward (which I guess is considered "Inner East Bay??)

There are plenty of ultra wealthy folk living around some of these towns (Alamo, Danville, Pleasanton, Blackhawk, Orinda, Clayton) but I wouldn't really consider the area a tourist destination at all unless one considers Lafayette Reservoir or Briones or Mt Diablo a place to hang out on a weekend---which I don't.

It's too big of a region to really define from my perspective since there's such diversity in so many ways. It's probably underrated since there are some ignorant folk here on this board that seem to not know it AT ALL and make childish comments about it being "boring 'burbs". Obviously a youngin' that only lives in urban places until....he realizes (like I did when I grew up) that San Francisco 'aint gonna happen for the rest of your life if you want to own a house, want a driveway, safety/no riff-raff, and good public schools! I probably get more out of urban environments/recreation now that I'm not in the midst of it.

I guess---underrated------depending---on your age/socio-economics/expectations/lifestyle

Last edited by clongirl; 05-27-2015 at 07:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 08:28 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
Alamo is as expensive as Palo Alto or Sausalito. Less high profile individuals though in the Tech Industry or Celebrities.

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...-bay-home.html

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...enity-now.html
Alamo is not as expensive on average as Sausalito or Tiburon.

But Blackhawk (danville adjacent) is gated, very exclusive, and full of ultra high net worth individuals.
Also out by Livermore/Pleasanton, so is Ruby Hill (like a newer, younger Blackhawk)

I find that most execs who work in Financial District want to live either in the City, or in Tiburon/Sausalito because of the proximity - its a bit of a slog to get into the city from outer East Bay suburbs - although you can kinda hit that line through upper Berkeley/Piedmont and over through to Lamorinda and still be convenient because of the proximity to BART, as someone else noted earlier.

Another trend is that the most recent nouveau riche (the hipster punks that have got lucky at tech startups in the last five years or so), usually tend to prefer the company of other hipster punks, so they tend to congregate in SF and PA (either in Hipster Central, or near work). Eventually, they will mature into responsible adults with families, and migrate to more livable suburbs as well.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:24 PM

24,404 posts, read 26,946,756 times
A big NO

Old 05-27-2015, 10:28 PM

12 posts, read 11,925 times
My East Bay Geography

Outer East Bay= Pittsburgh, Antioch, Oakley, Brentwood, Discovery Bay, eastern Contra Costa County
Tri-Valley/ Mid-East Bay = Walnut Creek, Concord, Lamorinda, Danville, Pleasonton, Livermore, San Ramon
Inner East Bay= West Contra Costa County, Oakland, Alameda, Fremont, Hayward, San Leandro

Old 05-27-2015, 10:31 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
I always considered the Outer East Bay anything east of the Caldecott Tunnel/East Bay hills.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:04 AM

520 posts, read 611,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCoast707 View Post
My East Bay Geography

Outer East Bay= Pittsburgh, Antioch, Oakley, Brentwood, Discovery Bay, eastern Contra Costa County
Tri-Valley/ Mid-East Bay = Walnut Creek, Concord, Lamorinda, Danville, Pleasonton, Livermore, San Ramon
Inner East Bay= West Contra Costa County, Oakland, Alameda, Fremont, Hayward, San Leandro
Agreed. This description also aligns with West/Central/East Contra Costa County.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:34 AM

191 posts, read 311,592 times
There's always been a large amount of snobbery (some of which you can see in this thread) directed to those of us who enjoy living in Contra Costa County. Goes with the territory.

Old 05-28-2015, 02:34 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,551,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
I guess I'm confused as to what "outer East Bay" means.
It's really simple. If you have to go over or under hills to get to the Bay, you are in the outer East Bay.

Quote:
I'm in Lafayette which to me seems more like Inner East Bay since it's nowhere near someplace like Brentwood, Antioch, Pittsburg--or even further out like Pleasanton and Livermore.
You need to look at a map if you think Pleasanton is "further out" than Brentwood, Antioch and Pittsburg. Unless of course you meant "further out from Sacramento."

Old 05-28-2015, 03:25 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
It's really simple. If you have to go over or under hills to get to the Bay, you are in the outer East Bay.

You need to look at a map if you think Pleasanton is "further out" than Brentwood, Antioch and Pittsburg. Unless of course you meant "further out from Sacramento."
I actually used to live in Pleasanton. It's 40 miles to San Francisco from BOTH Pleasanton and Pittsburg, btw.

But nevertheless, the topic here is if the East Bay is underrated/overrated compared to Marin/Peninsula and don't actually need a map reading lesson since I'm a native Bay Arean and am very familiar with the region.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:43 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,551,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
I actually used to live in Pleasanton. It's 40 miles to San Francisco from BOTH Pleasanton and Pittsburg, btw.
Your original comment said that Pleasanton was "further out" than Pittsburg, Antioch and Brentwood. Now you are saying that Pleasanton is equally far out compared to the closest in of those three cities. Brentwood is 55 miles from SF, and only 25 miles from Stockton.

Also, SF is not the one and only center of the Bay Area. Most recognize that the Bay Area is a tri-focal region with centers in SF, Oakland and San Jose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland