Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2015, 03:59 PM

21 posts, read 52,303 times

Advertisements

Hello there!
My family and I currently live in Denver,CO and will be relocating to the Bay Area in August for my husband to start a new job.
I am a stay at home mom to 2 kids(one school aged) and my husband will be working in San Francisco at a start up company.

Through much internet searching we have decided to look into renting in either North Oakland, Berkeley, or Alameda.
We (meaning the kids and I; my husband will be there longer, but will be busy with work)will be in town around June 15-24 to check out neighborhoods and hopefully see some rentals.

Has anyone recently used a relocation company like Relocation Breakthroughs or services through a real estate company?
The last time someone asked this very question on City Data was 2008! I know things and rent have changed since then.
We were thinking it might be worth it since we don't know the area or have much time to find a place.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 11:11 AM

901 posts, read 1,167,720 times
Since nobody is answering I'll jump in. I have no knowledge of relocation services. Have you researched what to expect in the Bay Area rental market? Are you sure that you have the income to survive here and have the lifestyle you expect given that you have one earner, and two children, both of whom (I assume!) need schools? Check out many threads here written by people who are moving here or want to move here. It's very common to seem to know how expensive it is here, but not really to appreciate what that means. I.e. competing with others for rentals and home purchases, occasionally with ferocity, difficulty of saving money, the long-shot nature of startup exits, etc.

If your husband, the earner, is making 150k+, you're probably going to be fine. Personally, I'm planning for the near future - I would not be comfortable here with school age kids, access to decent public schools, and potential to purchase a home -- with a family income of less than 225 to 250k. If your husband's current income is closer to 100k, you're going to have to make a lot of adjustments in all dimensions. Honestly at that income level I wouldn't move.

BTW, North Oakland will have iffy-er elementary school choices than Alameda or Berkeley. Beyond elementary schools, I Oakland schools do not have a good reputation. Berkeley is stronger, Alameda stronger still. Check greatschools.org. I like your choices, though, mine might be the same in your situation.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:58 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Disagree. The north Oakland elementary school and middle school for the Rockridge/Claremont area are good. The elementary and middle school for Montclair are outstanding. However, the rents will be a little more affordable in Alameda.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:16 PM

Thanks for the warning Chuck 5000, but I am aware of how ridiculous the rental/real estate market is.
That is one of the reasons we are considering relocation help. My husband will be making over 150k a year, plus will be getting 10k in relocation money. I only have one school age child. He is 6 in first grade and thriving in a city public school. My other child is only a year old and won't be attending any school or daycare for a while.
I know that our situation is not the norm and we are very lucky.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:20 PM

Btw...my husband has already been involved in one start up exit and made out quite well. Once again I know we are extremely lucky.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:17 PM

423 posts, read 609,910 times
I have not used relocation services myself. I do have rental and many tenants who are relocating from out-of-state do use relocation agency.

From my side, I see the agency doing the leg work. They do the search, contact the landlord or property manager, ask questions (like pets, utilities, etc), submit the application, and schedule the viewing (when the tenant is in town to look at property).

On the tenant side, I don't have visibility, so this is just my assumption. I assume the relocation service is paid for or covered by the company. I assume they offer advice and help the tenant find the right location and type of housing that fits tenants' requirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland