Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 10:11 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,199,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
LOL... even I think that's ridiculous, and I'm an ultra-liberal Jew!
Oh I'm not all surprised. I heard a similar story about St Louis too. Not to mentioned the attempts to take "In God We Trust" off our currency or the Federal government observing Christmas Day.:=(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 12:33 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,174,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niffyat View Post
2>> I haven't heard a lot about Daly City. I have a friend who moved from STL to Cupertino last year, and when I asked her about Daly City, she asked around and said the general response was "Eh, Daly City..." I don't care if it's boring, but I thought living near the Uni. would be good because there are lots of students around (I hope.). So, any advice on good neighbourhoods that are safe (AND affordable-haha, I hope it's not safe OR affordable when it comes to housing) around SFSU?
Personally, I like living in Daly City but then again I don't mind being away from my sources of entertainment. I actually would never have thought of Daly City when I first moved up here if it weren't for a guy I knew who needed a roommate. It was convenient and cheap to move into a ready made situation. As for SFSU, you have to keep in mind that it's a commuter college. There are no large concentrations of students to give any area a real college feel. Students live all over San Francisco and in the surrounding communities.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:31 PM

18 posts, read 128,695 times
The crime in San Francisco has increased and the police department was over 100 police short last time I checked in 2007. If you look at the crime maps on the San Francisco Police Department website, you will see that homicides occur all over the city and are not all concentrated in certain areas. This came as a surprise to me at first but then I realized that bad people can walk and drive while carrying weapons. This is a city, much like all big cities, in which the rich and the poor live relatively close to each other. Just because you are in a rich neighborhood does not mean you are safe. The advantages are rumored to be that the police routinely patrol some rich neighborhoods more often and that the police respond faster to emergency calls from rich neighborhoods. These LAST two claims have little evidence as it is only hearsay knowledge from those who live in the city of San Francisco.

As for Daly City, it is one of the safest cities in the Bay Area despite its close proximity to San Francisco! It's a very well policed and relative to San Francisco, a quiet place to live. I wouldn't worry about Daly City as I've lived there myself. Some people complain about the fog but I found it to be a safe, commutable, VERY convenient and centrally located city to live in. I love cold weather.

Last edited by shepmead03; 03-26-2008 at 11:40 PM..

Old 09-28-2008, 11:10 AM

2 posts, read 4,502 times
If you must work in San Carlos, why would you even consider living in San Francisco? The commute will be awful, and the rents are very expensive in the city. I lived in SF in the 70s and went back in 2000 for 18 months. It's worse than New York City now! A coworker was hit by a motorcycle in a crosswalk one workday morning. Sean was tossed about 15 feet and knocked out. I was walking with him when the accident happened. The motorcyclist did not even stop and people just STEPPED around Sean while he lay in the street. It was horrifying! I quickly looked for a new job out of state, and then moved to Florida, where I've been ever since.

I loved SF in the 70s, but it is not the same place in the 2000s.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:44 PM

66 posts, read 212,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nileisis View Post
I'm moving to the Bay Area and have been reading statistics on the crime rate in San Francisco and I find it alarming. A 2006 survey shows that SF has far more crime than NY.

I recently went to SF and talked to several people about this subject. On the first night, an incident on New Years Eve was enough to scare me. 10 minutes after 12:00 standing in the middle of a large huddled crowd before the clock in Embarcadero, my cousin and I got scared because all of a sudden the croud began to push with such force that we thought we might get trampled on. A few seconds after the event, I saw to my immediate right, 10 feet away, 2 men standing in an open area of about 30 feet. One man was a size of a gorilla, and the other man held his hands on the air with black gloves to fake 2 guns in his hands. We moved swiftly out of the way and continued our festivity making as others did also. We both didn't see any blood on the ground, but needless to say, it was a very strange experience. About 12:45, I asked one of the policemen standing not far away where the bathrooms were and proceeded to tell him what had happened. He said with a smile on his face, thinking I was new to the area, " Oh, yeah. This kind of thing happens all of the time..."

My cousin, 27 years old, said that it's now very dangerous to live in San Francisco. "People don't care anymore what happens..." I also talked to a builder that lives on the peninsula who had done work in SF. He said that he had lived in the area a long time and said he never goes into SF again because of the crime rate...

I lived in SF in the late 80's. Has anyone felt a direct threat living in the Bay Area and has it gotten worse in the past 20 years? I will be transferring to a job in San Carlos. Where would be the best place to live as far as safety and cost of living? I heard that anything west of the highway is good leading into San Francisco or Redwood Shores. I would like to get into the sailing community or near the water if at all possible. Could you locals give some advice to a professional single woman who was originally born in SF? Thanks for your info!
Noe Valley is your best bet. Maybe the Marina too. Your friends are right. This is one of the more lawless big cities I've ever lived in.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:49 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
i missed you post completely. big guy with fake guns on new years cops were present some pushing in the crowd. im lost. no shooting no stabbing no fighting. just a lil crazy. i lived there and visit frequently. we are not on the same page.
this is your concept of over the top crime?
i left my heart in san francisco
of course that has made it pretty rough on everybody else.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:54 AM

3 posts, read 7,247 times
Crime is all around the world. So it’s not a big deal that it has happen near our place. The only thing to see is the person doing the crime must be punished.

Last edited by 7th generation; 10-05-2008 at 01:41 PM..

Old 10-10-2008, 01:44 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,419,634 times
Is Haight-Ashbury a safe area? Is it good for kids?

Old 10-10-2008, 02:58 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
Is Haight-Ashbury a safe area? Is it good for kids?
Not really... it's a fun area, but not the safest part of town, especially Lower Haight. I'd also say it's a bit crazy for kids, between the traffic, MEGA tourists, and very noticeable drug culture. Not where I'd raise my kids, even though I love that neighborhood!

Old 10-10-2008, 03:25 PM

821 posts, read 1,039,815 times
The crime is only gonna get worse. Trends show that national crime averages rise during an economic crisis. All types of crimes, due to lack of money and stresses of not having money. When will it bring the rent rates down?
Invest in law enforecement and alcohol!

Last edited by Joe Bama!; 10-10-2008 at 03:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland