Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 02:47 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times

Advertisements

I love California's Asian roots! Chinese New Year is coming up! When is San Francisco's parade?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 02:49 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I love California's Asian roots! Chinese New Year is coming up! When is San Francisco's parade?
February 23rd @ 5:30pm... should be a blast!!
The Southwest Airlines Chinese New Year Parade

Old 01-23-2008, 04:23 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
February 23rd @ 5:30pm... should be a blast!!
The Southwest Airlines Chinese New Year Parade

I love Chinese New Year!!

Old 05-17-2010, 02:16 PM

10 posts, read 25,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Supposedly our Chinatown is the largest in the US, so I guess it just feels small! The main street is Grant St., and it goes up (west?) about 5 blocks & over 2-3 blocks... a good size for our city, considering SF is only 7x7 square miles.
Actually, Chinatown is about 5 LONG blocks in width(roughly 1/2 mile), stretching from Taylor to Montgomery Sts., at its widest. Stockton and Powell Streets go as far north into North beach. From its southern most point to farther north is about 3/4 mile. There are quite a few shops and restaurants on Vallejo St. The famed Chinese recreation ctr. is located on Mason and WashingtonSts.(across the street from the Cable Car Barn.). The are also higher-priced eateries, shops and establishments along Washington, Clay, and Sacramento strething east towards Montgomery in the Financial dist. This gives you an idea of how large Chinatown really is. People don't realize this- especially tourists, because they hardly stray off of Grant Ave. which is a shame.

Doug

Old 05-17-2010, 03:10 PM

1,882 posts, read 3,110,997 times
If you want a more authentic, bustling Chinatown experience, Stockton St. is the one to walk through.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:23 PM

329 posts, read 1,028,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
If you want a more authentic, bustling Chinatown experience, Stockton St. is the one to walk through.
Agreed...Stockton St. is far more lively and authentic. Barely any tourists and nearly all Chinese here.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:21 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,993,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
NYC's chinatown is actually not that big. They just like to say that cuz it is NYC. NYC has three other chinatowns in Flushing, Queens; Sunset Park, Brooklyn; and Elmhurst, Queens.

Arent Monterey Park, and San Gabriel right next to each other, if so then by area I think that is the biggest.

Are there other Chinatowns in NoCal other than the one in Frisco.
Don't forget about Alhambra, Rosemead, South Pasadena, Arcadia, Temple City, San Marino, and parts of El Monte all next door to Monterey Park and San Gabriel. I've seen Chinatowns in SF, NYC, Vancouver BC etc. and the SGV in Los Angeles county looks to me like the biggest Chinatown in the US (if it will be recognized as one) based on size and the population actually residing there, influx of new immigrants, and presence of Chinese owned businesses- not just Chinese folks going there to open their gift shop/restaurant and then driving home to their suburbs miles away.

With that said, SF's Chinatown does seem pretty big for the size of SF and I love SF's Chinatown. It really feels like I'm in China.

Last edited by mini_cute; 05-17-2010 at 05:29 PM..

Old 05-17-2010, 11:22 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
I was on military training near SF a couple yrs ago and had the chance to walk up the main street of China town. I was expecting China town to be bigger than what I saw. Maybe because I only walked up the main street I did not see how big China town actually is. Not sure. I did find the people to appear friendly, and I did feel safe.

Well, it's bigger than you think. Can't remember how many blocks of Grant Street makes Chinatown, but it's a lot. And there are interesting side streets (like Waverly Place with its colorful ornate old buildings). Stockton Street, parallel to Grant, is more for locals but interesting, too.

Gizmo made good suggestion to the various Asian areas of San Francisco.

I spent almost 2 wks in Manhattan in '08. And while I very much enjoyed the city, I was NOT impressed with its Chinatown. I think San Francisco's is much, much better.

I did find it interesting that Manhattan's Chinatown borders right against their "Little Italy", just as San Francisco's borders the Italian part of North Beach. However, both Italian areas are receding, I assume from lack of interest from the younger generation.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:49 PM

4 posts, read 6,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Well, it's bigger than you think. Can't remember how many blocks of Grant Street makes Chinatown, but it's a lot. And there are interesting side streets (like Waverly Place with its colorful ornate old buildings). Stockton Street, parallel to Grant, is more for locals but interesting, too.

Gizmo made good suggestion to the various Asian areas of San Francisco.

I spent almost 2 wks in Manhattan in '08. And while I very much enjoyed the city, I was NOT impressed with its Chinatown. I think San Francisco's is much, much better.

I did find it interesting that Manhattan's Chinatown borders right against their "Little Italy", just as San Francisco's borders the Italian part of North Beach. However, both Italian areas are receding, I assume from lack of interest from the younger generation.
Chinatowns also border Little Italies in London and Los Angeles. Hmmm, methinks this might not be a coincidence at all.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:14 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,462,401 times
I prefer the 2nd chinatown on Clement st in the inner Sunset district , SF it's more of a relaxed neighborhood feel, not so many tourists like the older chinatown on Grant st, much friendlier feel.

the Clement st chinatown is more multi - cultural, they have Chinese, Thai, Burmese, Russian, Middle eastern, Vietnamese, Korean hot pot, and more all in the same area

pretty good selection of restaurants, and the streets are cleaner.

you dont see that many tourists on Clement st since it's too far to walk from downtown and from the hotels.

they also have an area in the tenderloin known as "Little Saigon" thats mostly Vietnamese on Larkin st
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland