Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 01:47 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,351,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieMatic View Post
That's an insane 'example' of racially-charged police brutality. You have no way of articulating that the results would have been any different had the suspect been white, Asian, etc.
My point is that police brutality happens everywhere, and excessive force is applied more often to African Americans than to other ethnic groups. It's all there.

I really don't see the point of trying to sugar coat or deny this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 04:04 AM

209 posts, read 257,458 times
maybe its those Neanderthal genes!

Old 06-14-2015, 07:40 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,593,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticDragonfly View Post
In Oakland, yes there's been conflict between local P.D. and the black community. In San Francisco and Berkeley there's the always present profiling of communities with high crime. But there's really been nothing that's caused a massive riot in the Bay Area regarding race. That's probably because the people in their ethnic communities traverse between others at such ease, that's weird to consider your neighborhood of one race. This might have something to do with the size of the region, the location of jobs, the speed of transit (BART) and the very liberal ideologies present.
IMO, due more to the SFPD being a more effective police department than the LAPD and being able to quash those things in the bud. Oakland's less effective police department has been less able to stave off disorder (but still more effective than L.A. - pretty much any department is)

The Bay Area is in major denial about its racism. San Francisco is as anti-black as OC. The Bay Area being the base of much of the American left and so much of official multiculturalism is a major reason for why it is in so much denial. If those problems came to the forefront that would effectively discredit those institutions.

Last edited by majoun; 06-14-2015 at 08:07 AM..

Old 06-14-2015, 01:30 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,360,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post

The Bay Area is in major denial about its racism. San Francisco is as anti-black as OC. The Bay Area being the base of much of the American left and so much of official multiculturalism is a major reason for why it is in so much denial. If those problems came to the forefront that would effectively discredit those institutions.
I want to get some opinions of this man's comments in this video at around 5:18 of the video. He makes a comparison of the racism in Birmingham vs the racism in SF back in the 60's. What did he mean by his "pencil and paper" comment as far as racism in SF at that time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozflNOVzd6w#t=303

Old 06-14-2015, 03:43 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,593,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I want to get some opinions of this man's comments in this video at around 5:18 of the video. He makes a comparison of the racism in Birmingham vs the racism in SF back in the 60's. What did he mean by his "pencil and paper" comment as far as racism in SF at that time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozflNOVzd6w#t=303
My guess is that Famious Bell was talking about the legal system, bureaucracy, and taxation?

Old 06-14-2015, 07:46 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,360,187 times
Here's the full video with that guy talking about the "pencil and paper". He was referring to job opportunities for Blacks.

'Take This Hammer' featuring James Baldwin | American Masters | PBS

Old 06-14-2015, 09:29 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,430,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieMatic View Post
[The Oscar Grant case is]...an insane 'example' of racially-charged police brutality.You have no way of articulating that the results would have been any different had the suspect been white, Asian, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
My point is that police brutality happens everywhere, and excessive force is applied more often to African Americans than to other ethnic groups. It's all there. I really don't see the point of trying to sugar coat or deny this.
What's insane to me is the persistent denial at the slightest opportunity of predjudice and racism against black people in America, especially by people who claim to not be racist. Not every cop is a murderer just as every young black male is not morally deficient. Blacks complaining about the antics of irrational bigoted white people is no worse than aggravation about greedy opportunistic gang members of any ethnicity. And we don't need to necessarily itemize every scenario in order to see a pattern of inequity regarding Afro-Americans when it is obvious that we are negatively targeted on a daily basis. If you deny that also, just tune in to your TV morning or evening news.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:18 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,341,071 times
Funny, I thought San Fran was very segregated. The Blacks lived in the Fillmore, the Asians out in the avenues, the Chinese in Chinatown, the Japanese in Japan town, the Italians (Sicilians mostly) in North Beach, the gays in the Castro, the Latinos in the Mission.....you get the idea. Everyone had their own little district going on when I lived there. I heard a lot of talk about diversity, but didn't see much.

New Orleans, where I'm from, had a lot more of a laissez faire thing going on. Still does. I vividly remember my first invite to a party in S.F. Everyone there was white (I'm a Southern white male) and wow, I had nothing in common w/ anyone. They were in another world. I finally gravitated to the basement, where I found about 5 black guys all huddled together who had also fled the scene, and I immediately felt right at home. Stayed there the rest of the party listening to jazz and having wonderful conversations that were actually about something. Had a great time.

More importantly, S.F. is REALLY divided by income and "education". Not the sort of education that comes from what you learned and what you know. Education in terms of a piece of paper. I was in the city last about 10 years ago, and things had not changed much, other than the apartment that I had in the lower Haight that was $375 a month was about 10 times that. It might be 20 times that by now.

Last edited by smarino; 06-16-2015 at 11:33 AM..

Old 06-16-2015, 12:38 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,394,193 times
We have segregation here as well. Some of the Latino and Asian areas are real "monocultures." And then there is economic segregation. On the one hand there are the 650 and the 415, which although there are pockets of modesty, overall, are the land of the rich (be it paper rich due to real estate hyperinflation or real rich). At the opposite extreme are the 209, the 707 and the 925. Opposite case, lots of modest areas with pockets of wealth mixed in. The 510, the and the 408 are more mixed but the trend in these is for the middle class and poor to be pushed out over the long term.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:37 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,247,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
Funny, I thought San Fran was very segregated. The Blacks lived in the Fillmore, the Asians out in the avenues, the Chinese in Chinatown, the Japanese in Japan town, the Italians (Sicilians mostly) in North Beach, the gays in the Castro, the Latinos in the Mission.....you get the idea. Everyone had their own little district going on when I lived there. I heard a lot of talk about diversity, but didn't see much.
Pretty much what I was going to say.
Yes, there are a lot of ethnic groups in the city (and Bay Area in general), but they are not exactly hanging out together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland